Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2007, 02:36 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New zooms VS Old Primes

Probably based on the question you may already know I am new to this forum, and it may have been discussed many times before, but I have not been able to find this specific questions yet.

I have a Tamron AF 18-250 1:3.5-6.3 (IF) Macro which was very well regarded in most of the reviews I read about it. Also I was recently given an old lens (this is why I love Pentax) 28mm Tokina 1:2.8 by a friend. These I would both use on my Pentax K110d.

But here it comes, on occasion I photograph my family indoors (low light) and love photographing plants and such.

Will and old prime in sharpness, colour, contrast compete with the new zooms given all the technological advances made to lens design?

07-28-2007, 02:48 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
My opinion and experience is that a old top quality lenses are usualy better then most modern zooms. Of course I'm not talking about new extremely expensive High end zooms.

Any Pentax 50mm wil probably do beter then your zoom even the old takumars.

Off course a zoom is more versatile. and exept for the F & Fa series you loose AF.

Guido
07-28-2007, 04:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cloggy Quote
Will and old prime in sharpness, colour, contrast compete with the new zooms given all the technological advances made to lens design?
Yes, plus it will be faster, which is a big deal in low light. You can get an old Pentax 50mm pretty cheap that will be hard to beat in any light.
07-28-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Most modern zooms can cost up to and over 10 times the equivalent set in primes. Plus the set of primes will tend to offer faster aperture ranges. The modern zooms are handy because you don't need to change lenses as often whereas primes, you can have a hard time fishing out the right one in the bag when an oppurtunity flies by.

07-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It depends on individual lenses in comparison, and each lens' condition. My 16-45 produces superior colour to my 50mm1.7A on similar shots.
07-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cloggy Quote
Probably based on the question you may already know I am new to this forum, and it may have been discussed many times before, but I have not been able to find this specific questions yet.

I have a Tamron AF 18-250 1:3.5-6.3 (IF) Macro which was very well regarded in most of the reviews I read about it. Also I was recently given an old lens (this is why I love Pentax) 28mm Tokina 1:2.8 by a friend. These I would both use on my Pentax K110d.

But here it comes, on occasion I photograph my family indoors (low light) and love photographing plants and such.

Mostly you are getting speculation and conjecture--the great and glorious wisdom of the internet--of thousands of small minds with little to do aside from forum watching.

The real truth: Unless you are a 'ringer'-someone with a pile of successful experiences, enormous accumulated knowledge and impeccable technique, either an old prime OR a new zoom (both of reasonable quality) will far exceed your ability to 'test their limits'.

And if you are inclined to spend your time 'pixel-peeping' to the level necessary to actually discern the minute differences from lens to lens, then you have completely missed the purpose of the lens and the camera.

I've passed through many phases in my life, recently. There was a time when I would join in the pixel-peeping. Thankfully, that has passed. For a while I actually stopped and expressed some measure-albeit, very little, of sympathy for your quandary. Currently I like the "move on-there is nothing to see" type advice as in a car wreak situation.

Pick one or the other, mount it on the camera, install some fresh batteries and go take (a hike and) some pictures--it's a far more productive use of your time (-vs-debating any primes over any zooms or vice-versa).
07-31-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Mostly you are getting speculation and conjecture--the great and glorious wisdom of the internet--of thousands of small minds with little to do aside from forum watching.
what a dickhead thing to say.
08-01-2007, 02:00 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Conclusion

Well thanks guys for your input, I think my best chance would be to do some comparisons myself.