Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sigma 10-20mm Stiff Mount

Hi guys,

I just got my Sigma 10-20, but when I mount it on my Pentax it seems like the mount is very very stiff (especially in the last couple of degrees of rotation before you hear the "click"). I am just wondering if this is normal for Sigma lens or any other third party lens (being non-pentax). Anyone else had similar experience?

oxidized

05-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No, it is not normal--return it. With whom did you do business?
05-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got it from Adorama. I really like it, as it does not have any of the problems people mention with Sigma's quality control like focusing issues or corner sharpness. But like I said, when you mount it goes fine about half way and then for the last half of the turn you just need to apply a bit more pressure until you hear the click. You dont think this is normal or it will loosen up?
05-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Guess it all hinges on what you mean by a "bit more pressure." With that wording, I would say all is well. But that is not how you first introduced the problem.

QuoteQuote:
oxidized: I just got my Sigma 10-20, but when I mount it on my Pentax it seems like the mount is very very stiff (especially in the last couple of degrees of rotation before you hear the "click"). I am just wondering if this is normal for Sigma lens or any other third party lens (being non-pentax).
It should have similar feel to all your other lenses--I would describe as smooth but snug.

05-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha, i know what you mean. Maybe at first I exaggerated it a bit. Well, there is certainly more pressure necessary in order to mount it compared to my pentax lens. Its really hard to quantify how much more pressure, since its such a relative concept. I dont feel like I am forcing it, and its working fine, but I am just worried it might damage the mount later down the road. I was just wondering if anyone else had any similar experiences... Again, sorry for the confusion (its not super tight).
05-06-2010, 01:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Hi oxidized,

Everything's relative, but if the difference is more than just a little, I'd consider finding the reason or exchanging the lens. More friction means more wear -- eventually. I wouldn't worry at all if it was easier to mount but still didn't have any play, but it being harder might cause wear to the camera mount which could eventually cause your other lenses to mount too loosely and could result in some play between the body and the lenses. You're the one that has to make the call. . .

All of my many lenses mount and dismount with very close to the same amount of effort. If one was noticeably more difficult, I'd want to know why. . .

Scott
05-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #7

I experienced something similar with my recently purchased DA70mm limited. I found the lens got a little tight in the last half of the turn, whereas my other lenses are smooth. I took the lens to C. R. Kennedy who said that it wasn't a cause for concern. They also said that the lens mount is designed to be softer than the camera mount, so that the lens mount wears down preferentially over the camera mount. the lens mount can be replaced easily (whereas the i guess the camera mount may be more difficult to replace?)
So yes, I've had a similar experience! I guess it's not tight enough to feel like it's grinding down the metal. Better than being too loose I guess...