Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I would like to hear your thoughts

about the 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Lens for Pentax from Sigma. I take a large number of pictures every time I go out with my K10D. and have to CONSTANTLY change between lenses. I want to stop the madness!!!! I shoot for the fun of it and hope to improve enough to pursue it further. But, I hate changing the lens every time the subject is a certain distance away or too close for my long lens. I know the BEST thing to do would be "get another body". Right now I don't have the cash. Talk to me about the lens!! Good? Bad? UGLY??

05-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let me start with the 18-200/18-250mm all-around lenses for Pentax mount, before narrowing to the Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM and my own opinion . There have been some recent pertinent discussions at Pentaxforums.com. Basically there are 3 generations of all-in-one zoom lenses for Pentax (K-mount): (a) the Sigma and Pentax 18-200mm, (b) the Tamron/Pentax 18-250mm, and (c) the Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM.

The Sigma and Pentax 18-200mm lenses are older lenses that were superseeded by the Tamron/Pentax 18-250mm. The Tamron 18-250mm and the re-badged Pentax 18-250mm are definitely better lenses than the older Sigma 18-200mm or Pentax 18-200mm.

A few recent threads discussed some comparison between the Tamron 18-250mm and Pentax 18-250mm: eg, http://forums.dpreview.com/...forums...ssage=33945288. For the latter (Pentax 18-250mm), the Pentax K-7 and K-x have the lens correction implemented and you can select some distortion correction to this lens : http://forums.dpreview.com/...forums...ssage=34042860. A lot of Pentaxians would recommend the Pentax/Tamron 18-250mm lens with overall little differences between the Tamron and DA18-250mm.

The DA18-250mm is highly regarded including my professionals (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/86984-pentax-d...50mm-lens.html, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/93367-k-7-steve-kr...gua-6962m.html), and it is considered on of the best all-around lenses, across all brands. The DA 18-250mm is an excellent walk-around lens. Full stop; it is not a fast prime and should not be compared with prime lenses.

There is less information on the newer and more expensive Sigma 18-250mm DC OS HSM. The reviews are positive but (a) there have been some forum discussions on reliability & maintenance issues of the HSM technology and (b) the optical stabilisation OS is redundant with the Pentax image stabilisation IS. There has been a few threads on the Sigma 180-250mm OS HSM at PentaxForums.com: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/90458-sigma-18-250mm-os-hsm.html.

I use a Pentax DA18-250mm with my Pentax K-7. I am happy with the Pentax 18-250mm in terms of practicality and ease to use in the field (no need to change lens), as well its image quality. I would recommend it strongly. I like the compact shape and I am able to get the K-7 with the 18-250mm in a small top-loading bag (Lowepro Top load zoom 1) that is handy to carry.

Hope that the comment will help....
05-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Why don't you just accept the limitations (unless you're press photographer or on a paid assignment) ? When I put on my K 35mm F3.5 (or any other prime) I know that it's impossible to capture everything. Hunt for good motives/pics with the lens you have and forget about the things that are too close or out of reach. Missing shots is a part of the game.

Kind regards
.lars
05-06-2010, 03:30 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Recercare Quote
Why don't you just accept the limitations (unless you're press photographer or on a paid assignment) ? When I put on my K 35mm F3.5 (or any other prime) I know that it's impossible to capture everything. Hunt for good motives/pics with the lens you have and forget about the things that are too close or out of reach. Missing shots is a part of the game.

Kind regards
.lars
That's pretty much my philosophy too. You also get more exercise this way.

05-06-2010, 04:22 AM   #5

You didn't mention which lenses you are switching between. Is there a big range in focal lengths? I personally only fret about changing lenses when it's windy or foul weather. I got the Tamron 18-250 with my K10D but now prefer to use my DA* 50-135 for everything I can. Mainly I want a brighter, faster lens and now only use the Tamron with I really need the focal lengths it provides. Eventually I will replace it with primes or other vooms on the extreme ends of that focal range.
05-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Basically there are 3 generations of all-in-one zoom lenses for Pentax (K-mount): (a) the Sigma and Pentax 18-200mm, (b) the Tamron/Pentax 18-250mm, and (c) the Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM.
A Pentax 18-200 never existed. There is a Pentax FA 28-200, a rebadged Tamron.
05-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
I'm not sure I get that point. The 18-250 was based on the Tamron as well. Are you saying it never existed?
05-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mdaaug58 Quote
about the 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Lens for Pentax from Sigma. I take a large number of pictures every time I go out with my K10D. and have to CONSTANTLY change between lenses. I want to stop the madness!!!! I shoot for the fun of it and hope to improve enough to pursue it further. But, I hate changing the lens every time the subject is a certain distance away or too close for my long lens. I know the BEST thing to do would be "get another body". Right now I don't have the cash. Talk to me about the lens!! Good? Bad? UGLY??
It is all a matter of preference. I came into photography as a prime-only guy, and changing lenses never bothered me. It does bother others. If the differences in weight, speed and quality bother you less than changing lenses, then the superzooms are right for you. I mean no value judgment by that statement, by the way. Getting the shot is the most important thing, and the superzooms are capable of fine results.

05-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
You are correct. I meant the Tamron 18-200mm:
Tamron Lens: Zooms - Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical IF AF (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

for which SLRgear.com wrote: "you'd expect the original [Tamron] 18-200mm lens to outperform the new [Tamron] 18-250, but that proved not to be the case. The [Tamron] 18-250mm beat its 18-200mm predecessor all hollow when it came to sharpness. [...] Looking mainly at the differences in sharpness between the two lenses, the [Tamron] 18-250mm is a significantly better optic, easily justifying the roughly $100 difference in street price between them" (Tamron Lens: Zooms - Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical IF Macro AF (Tested) - SLRgear.com!).

Hope that the clarification will help....
05-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

or buy 1 more body so that you dont have to change between lenses everytime.
05-07-2010, 04:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter

I used to toy with the idea of getting super zoom -- mainly so I don't have to lug around a lot of camera equipment on trips, but I would really be bothered by the slowness of such a lens and even perceived drop in image quality. To me, if there are certain situations where you think you would use a super zoom, why not just get a bridge camera like the X90, or equivalent?

Anyway, if I am hiking, or going out, I pick a lens that I think would enjoy shooting with the most and just go with it. I may stick another lens in my bag, but unless it really isn't working out, I stick with the first lens through the day. Depending on which one I pick, I shoot different things, but I guess that goes without saying.
05-07-2010, 05:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Let's look at this a different way.

How much will you spend on the 18-200?

what can you get a used body for?

For me, get a used body, it will be more use in the long run than a super zoom.

The other way to look at this is is the following. You say "I shoot for the fun of it and hope to improve enough to pursue it further." Does this imply either becoming a serious amature or professional? if so, you need to know how to manage your shooting, based on the lenses you carry. Also, it is good practice to force yourself to shoot the subject with the lens you have, and figure out how to take the shot, and make something out of it with the lens you have.

WHile super zooms can let you get specific shots you can't necessairly get with a prime, you will be limiting yourself considerably by not looking for shots with a different perspective.

Lastly if photography is a hobby, it should be relaxing, and a diversion from normal every day things. take away the super zoom, you get more involved with your photography, sure you have to think, but in doing so, you get away mentally from the every day issues and relax. After all that is the objective , isn't it.
10-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
Forum Member

Great- just received an advice that my "membership " is to lapse-
but NO hint as to what to actually do to maintain etc!
about as useful as a hip pocket on an athletic support!

So if the site is serious about maintaing my support- a link on the impersonal email might go somewhere to assuaging this disgruntled and possibly soon to lapse supporter
10-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #14
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You're commenting in the wrong thread Albrecht.

As for the OP's superzoom requirements, I'm wondering whether it may just be better for you to sell your dSLR, specifically designed for interchanging lenses, to a good bridge/hybrid camera, which has all the focal lengths you want with good quality results all in one package. I couldn't say which would be the best for you, but I'm sure your local retailer will have a decent range of these for you to check out.
10-25-2010, 04:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

@OP,
I'll synthesize the above comments, and add my own. If you don't need dSLR quality, get a bridge superzoom P&S. If you need the quality, get a Tamron or Pentax 18-250. Keep your primes too, but consider that they are very different tools: general-purpose vs specialized.

When traveling, my excellent DA18-250 may do 80% of the work. When I stop somewhere interesting for awhile, I may wander around with the 18-250 the first day, scope things out. Following days may see me using just one or two primes per day. I give myself assignments like: see what I can do with the Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8 around here today.

But I'll generally have the 18-250 on my K20D, and in my Ameribag are the Zenitar 16/2.8, Soligor 24/2.8, FA50/1.4, Nikkor 85/2, and maybe the little F35-70 if I expect to shoot in that range a lot (which I do). And maybe the wildcard "lens of the day". Add a Raynox DCR-250 and I'm ready for almost anything. If I go into a well-lit indoor space, I'll switch to the Zenitar or Soligor. If a darker space, it's the FA50 or the Nikkor.

Now if I had a Kx I'd just use the 18-250 almost exclusively and boost ISO in darker conditions.