Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2010, 04:30 AM   #1

HELP NEEDED: DA*50-135mm play in zoom ring

Hello all,

If you own this lens would mind checking & letting me know if you have the same play in the zoom ring. I've searched, and didn't find this question. One similar, but the play was fore & aft. Nor does anyone in my area carry it.

My warranty is about to expire on my DA* 50-135mm and I'm noticing some play up & down in the focus ring. As I recently received it back when having the K20D body serviced they also "adjusted manual focus" on this lens. I don't think it had this play prior, but not sure and my biggest concern is if the weather sealing been compromised, of course along with worn parts.

It's a bit fussy to notice and describe so I attached the below drawing for clarity. I have enough play that a 'tick' can be heard when moving it up/down.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Roger

Attached Images

Last edited by RogerD_AZ; 05-06-2010 at 09:12 PM.
05-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm Not seeing your drawing.. Did you forget to attach it?

05-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
Jeff,

Odd, I see it.. I've attached the image via upload this time.. hopefully you all can see it now..

Thank you..
Roger
05-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I see it fine now. I can't say that I've noticed similar behavior in my copy. I haven't had it serviced in any way either. Might not be a bad idea to send it back before warranty expires. From what I've read, these are pretty expensive to repair once that happens.

05-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I see it fine now. I can't say that I've noticed similar behavior in my copy. I haven't had it serviced in any way either. Might not be a bad idea to send it back before warranty expires. From what I've read, these are pretty expensive to repair once that happens.

I also think it'd be a good idea to send it in for a "check up" while you still can. I've heard cases of people sending in their lenses before the warranty expires just to have them checked out, only to find that they had gone ahead and replaced the SDM motor.
05-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I haven't experienced anything similar either. I think I would send it in, as suggested.
05-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have checked mine and did not observe anything similar to what you described

I'm familiar with the local Pentax service centre personnel and gave him a call on this

I was told, it has happened before. But if the 'movement' isn't significant, there's no cause for worry

According to him, it's not specific to the 50-135mm. Even primes which are smaller in sizes aren't spared

I do agree. Since yours is still covered by warranty. Why not just send it in for servicing :ugh:

It's true, you may just have the SDM changed to a brand new one

05-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input and Happy Shooting!
05-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
Follow up, end result

Thought I'd update this with the outcome..

Under warranty sent lens to CRIS Camera via Pentax's recommendation.

Per service notes: Adjusted zoom barrel and installed packing spacers.

I asked the following questions: * Cause of play (worn, prior service, common/normal) [no response] * Are packing spacers used at factory [they said yes] * Is weather sealing compromised [they said no].

There is absolutely no play in zoom ring now. It is also firmer to twist (not so much it feels like too much, but much firmer than when new).

Prior to sending it in I spoke with Pentax about the play. They pulled one off the shelf and and stated it had "some" play, but really had to look for it. Mine was loose enough that if I picked the camera up by the zoom ring I felt a definite "slip". Think I had more than their shelf unit.