Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
I have to agree with GeneV on this. hyperfocal will get everything in the background in focus and doesn't matter what aperature you are on. Higher Aperture will only get you more foreground in focus.
That's not really what we were talking about, though. It wasn't so much a question of using hyperfocal distance versus stopping down as a way of increasing DOF, but rather finer points of how in focus something needs to be in order to look sharp at 100%. When using hyperfocal distance, things closer to infinity may be acceptably sharp for typical (print) uses as assumed by the DOF calculations that lead one to the hyperfocal distance, but not necessarily acceptably sharp when pixel peeping at 100%.

It's true that hyperfocal focusing is a great way to get lots of DOF, but that does *not* mean everything within that allegedly-in-focus zone will look equally sharp at 100%. And this has a lot to do with why people often mistakenly see corners as being relatively unsharp.

QuoteQuote:
The same goes if you were trying to focus on a far away object, although this is OK, using hyperfocal is the way to go and you do not have to worry about where t
Yes - if what you care about is prints viewed from typical distances, as DOF and hyperfocal calculations assume. But if you're going to pixel peep at 100%, then actually focusing further into the distane will make a difference.

The example given by the OP is a classic example of that difference: those corners actually *do* look in focus at the posted size, but I have no trouble believing that 100% views would show them being somewhat softer. Your example would probably serve equally well. the distant throwpillow in your hyperfocal version looks reasonably in focus at the posted size, but a 100% view would doubtless show it not quite as sharp as closer objects. Actually focusing on the distant throw pillow would change that.

05-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #32

i do allot of pixel peeping.
Instead of looking at the pillows that have soft look with the naked eye, look at the frames hanging on the wall. In another example i tried focusing directly at frames them then i tried the hyperfocal method, both are equally sharp with no difference at all, i was viewing at 300%. You do not get sharper images if you directly focused on a subject compared to hyperfocal. Try it out for yourself and let me know what you find. I will be doing more testing to confirm this method.

Last edited by Alex00; 05-12-2010 at 02:06 PM.
05-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I find what I've always found - distant objects are sharper if I focus in the distance. those pillows might not be distant enough to show this effect.
05-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
That's not really what we were talking about, though. It wasn't so much a question of using hyperfocal distance versus stopping down as a way of increasing DOF, but rather finer points of how in focus something needs to be in order to look sharp at 100%. When using hyperfocal distance, things closer to infinity may be acceptably sharp for typical (print) uses as assumed by the DOF calculations that lead one to the hyperfocal distance, but not necessarily acceptably sharp when pixel peeping at 100%.
This has been my experience too when I was doing film scans many years ago. I was always doing hyperfocal for landscape but the scans were not sharp. It was after I compared some identical shots with hyperfocal and focused at infinity, I could see those focused at infinity were much sharper. This was also true when I did the test with SMC15/3.5 which some believed focus was unimportant due to DOF. It does not matter how far you stop down, the exact focus DO matter even with very wide lenses.

05-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #35

Sorry but I'm finding out otherwise. Hyperfocal seems to be more in focus then focusing directly at an object. The cropped images below shows this. The camera is at f5.6 with self timer of 12sec on a manfrotto tripod at a distance of about 20 ft. . First image is focused directly at the portrait frame, the other is using the hyperfocal method. The hyperfocal shows it's more in focus. I did more then several test shots using the same frame on the wall in case i wasn't properly focused on the frame. Results all favored the hyperfocal method.

Focused directly at the object

Using Hyperfocal

Last edited by Alex00; 05-12-2010 at 02:42 PM.
05-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

The only explanation from your test is that the AF was not accurate. There is no way hyperfocal would be sharper than the one that was already in focus.
05-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #37

For far away objects hyperfocal should always be used unless you want to limit DOF or need the bokeh effect. remember only one thin plane of your subject matter will be in perfect focus for far away objects. The further away an object is from this plane, the less sharp it will be and thus we use the hyperfocal method to get everything sharp and in focus. For near by objects, direct focusing should be used. AF is most accurate with object 20ft or less.

The only way to prove this otherwise is to see test shots by others.

In addition and according to the dof calculator http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html, it's perfectly matching my numbers when testing. I never read anywhere that hyperfocal method would be less sharp then direct focusing. How did you come about this rumor.

Last edited by Alex00; 05-12-2010 at 03:24 PM.
05-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Huh? I speak from experience. I merely pointing out the potential issue with your last tests in good faith. Believe what you want to believe. I have nothing to gain from your BS.

05-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Huh? I speak from experience. I merely pointing out the potential issue with your last tests in good faith. Believe what you want to believe. I have nothing to gain from your BS.
I don't know what part of my reply offended you. I respect your point of view and i was sharing mine without the intention of offending anyone. I stood behind my word by presenting a proof, i'm not making anything up or reinventing the wheel, hyperfocal is known for what it does and there is no known fact mentioned anywhere that it is less sharp then direct focusing. It would be fairly equal if could show your images.
05-13-2010, 03:07 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Guess I misinterpret your message. Sorry. I am unable to find the old scans which were done years ago, and I don't have time to redo the tests meaningfully. I am well aware of the hyperfocal usage and used to use it a lot, until I drew my own finding. I have no intention to prove myself however. People are free to stick with what they prefer.
05-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The only explanation from your test is that the AF was not accurate. There is no way hyperfocal would be sharper than the one that was already in focus.
I agree - if hyperfocal focusing did better than focusing directly, then the AF must not have locked one the same object. That picture frame is *far* too small in the frame to be know for sure if the camera focused on it or not. Even if you selected a focus point directly over it, the focus sensor is large enough that the camera may have focused something else. And this is also precisely the sort of subject where focus-recompose could introduce slightly errors like this.
05-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #42
Pentaxian

In addition and according to the dof calculator Online Depth of Field Calculator, it's perfectly matching my numbers when testing.
I already explained why DOF calculators should be be used for this - they are only telling you what will be acceptable sharp for a typical print viewed from a typical size, not what will be acceptably sharp when pixel peeping.

QuoteQuote:
I never read anywhere that hyperfocal method would be less sharp then direct focusing. How did you come about this rumor.
It's not a rumor, it's simple logic - knwoing that the whole notion of hyperfocal focusing is based on DOF calculations that assume typical print szies viewed from typical distances, not 100% pixel peeping. And while I don't have any tests handy (nor do I have my camera handy to take any), I've certainly shot tons of landscapes where I have seen this effect - distant objects looking sharp "enough" using hyperfocal focusing, but looking *sharper still* actually focusing on the distance.
05-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For far away objects hyperfocal should always be used unless you want to limit DOF or need the bokeh effect. remember only one thin plane of your subject matter will be in perfect focus for far away objects. The further away an object is from this plane, the less sharp it will be and thus we use the hyperfocal method to get everything sharp and in focus. For near by objects, direct focusing should be used. AF is most accurate with object 20ft or less.

The only way to prove this otherwise is to see test shots by others.

In addition and according to the dof calculator Online Depth of Field Calculator, it's perfectly matching my numbers when testing. I never read anywhere that hyperfocal method would be less sharp then direct focusing. How did you come about this rumor.
The part I marked in bold is the key. (With some lenses, the plane might not be officially a geometric, flat plane, but that's beside the point.) With large angles of view, small apertures, small sensors, large distances and some viewing conditions, the area that appears in acceptible focus can be wider than this plane. But it is always a very narrow region.