Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical IF - samples

I haven't really had a chance to go to a place to get a decent shot with the lens, yet. Here are 3 examples from a quick walk today;

No PP except a small USM and resize.

f/1.4

f/1.7

f/2.4

05-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's just something about this lens that just turns me off. I know it's completely irrational. It's only ~$260 lens brand new, extremely fast, MF, great build quality, great sharpness and colors. It's everything I want in a lens and more. yet I refuse to buy it. Instead, I've spent the same money on an older and slower S-Takumar 85mm f1.9.

What the hell is wrong with me? Based on everything I've seen, it's an amazing lens in every regard.

BTW, really like the 3-D effect on the bench photo.
05-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Here is one of my daughter and son at f/2.4, I got co-operation ;-)

I got as close as possible, about 1 meter.

Last edited by ajuett; 05-06-2010 at 07:24 PM.
05-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
There's just something about this lens that just turns me off. I know it's completely irrational. It's only ~$260 lens brand new, extremely fast, MF, great build quality, great sharpness and colors. It's everything I want in a lens and more. yet I refuse to buy it. Instead, I've spent the same money on an older and slower S-Takumar 85mm f1.9.

What the hell is wrong with me? Based on everything I've seen, it's an amazing lens in every regard.

Maybe it's the price of the new lens that puts you off. Too inexpensive for an 85mm f1.4, New, and you're equating inexpensive with cheap.

05-07-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Maybe it's the price of the new lens that puts you off. Too inexpensive for an 85mm f1.4, New, and you're equating inexpensive with cheap.

ROFL ~
05-07-2010, 05:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

some people might call you a pentax snob

I have this (Vivitar version actually) , and also a super tak F1.9.. They behave differently but for a brand new lens, with an incredibly fast aperture and very very sharp (IMO) it is a good lens and shoud be given the credit it's due.

here are some samples posted previously
Note that all of these are JPEGs right out of the camera No PP at all except for resizing to upload and crop (in the last example)

85mm F1.4 shot wide open at minimum focus distance

More normal use of a fast 85, candid street shots at a distance Shot at F2.2

Here is a 100% crop out of the above photo showing sharpness
05-07-2010, 06:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I'm a total snob (sucker) for old prime MF lenses. It's all I have/use.

05-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

I've spent the same money on an older and slower S-Takumar 85mm f1.9.
Damn you. Damn you to HELL!!!

(Kind of an inside joke, guys.)
05-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

I have this (Vivitar version actually) , and also a super tak F1.9.. They behave differently but for a brand new lens, with an incredibly fast aperture and very very sharp (IMO) it is a good lens and shoud be given the credit it's due.

here are some samples posted previously
Note that all of these are JPEGs right out of the camera No PP at all except for resizing to upload and crop (in the last example)

More normal use of a fast 85, candid street shots at a distance Shot at F2.2

Here is a 100% crop out of the above photo showing sharpness
Lowell, excuse me for deleting the flower shot (I hate flowers), but these are WONDERFUL. And the 100% looks great!

Gee, too bad Hangu wasted his money on some old piece of crap when he could have had something THIS nice for the SAME money and it's NEW.
05-07-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Lowell, excuse me for deleting the flower shot (I hate flowers), but these are WONDERFUL. And the 100% looks great!

Gee, too bad Hangu wasted his money on some old piece of crap when he could have had something THIS nice for the SAME money and it's NEW.
You know what? I'm going to the Botanical Gardens with my new S-Takumar 85mm. Then, I'll spam the Takumar Club thread with flowers every single day for a month.
05-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, I actually took this in Paris at one of the river crossings I forget which now without looking at a map, but the 85mm focal length is great for candids. You are working at a distance, and to some extent ignored.

I too think the 100% crop looks great, but you know these images have been slammed by people who claim they don't "POP". The point is, these were taken (the street person) on a high overcast day which mutes color and contrast. As far as I am concerned, they represent the image I saw, which I consider important. I could have upped the contrast and saturation unnaturally, and some people like shots with high contrast and saturation, but what I concern myself with is getting the image I see. Now, what would be great, and it is on my TO DO list, is to compare the vivitar and super tak in a heads up shoot, same shot, same body and settings, same lighting. That is the only really fair comparison. Comparing a shot with (and I'll use the most comon example) a FA77 and studio lighting against an outdoor candid with flat lighting is not really fair.
QuoteQuote:
do I detect a note of jealosy here
05-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

You know what? I'm going to the Botanical Gardens with my new S-Takumar 85mm. Then, I'll spam the Takumar Club thread with flowers every single day for a month.
There are still flowers living in NYC?

Those are some tough flowers.
05-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

You know what? I'm going to the Botanical Gardens with my new S-Takumar 85mm.
You mean OLD S-Takumar, don't you?

My God, judging by the pictures, I'll be amazed if it even works.
05-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You mean OLD S-Takumar, don't you?

My God, judging by the pictures, I'll be amazed if it even works.
old and new are relitive to the owner.

I really think you are a little too obsessed with getting the 85F1.9.

God help us when you do
05-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

here are some samples done with an OOF paint effect. these are jpegs straight out of the camera.

1st photo. blurry effect

2nd photo. blurry effect with a lil bit of pop at the center.

one quick note, I noticed that the exif data shows f1.2. and I have no idea of whatsoever of how I did that or how it happened. maybe the camera got fooled into reading the opening to be at f1.2 or you can adjust it further to f1.2 or probably it's really an f1.2 wide open lens and they just thought or indicated it as a f1.4 lens. so you might want to try and open the aperture up to f1.2 if it's possible or if you can.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 05-07-2010 at 11:25 AM.