Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quick 16-45mm f/4 question. Owners?

Hey team,

Picked up this lens recently, otherwise pretty pristine condition, except for a pretty poor front lens cleaning job. My issue is that inside of the front element, the (I don't know what it's called) outer perimeter ring has this gold speckled dust looking stuff in it. Is this normal? The operation seems to be fine so far (will test more later), but I'm paranoid there is contaminant inside of the lens body. See below. Thoughts appreciated!

05-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Inactive Account

It LOOKS like somebody took it apart for some reason and left it sitting on the bench for a few months. Then forgot to clean it before putting it together. I don't know what's up with the Gold colored dust, maybe it's some sort of limited treatment (sorry, couldn't resist).. I had one of these lenses once before, bought it used, and can't say I would call this anywhere near a normal amount of dust inside a lens.

It might be worth unscrewing the front retaining ring, removing the front element, and cleaning it up.

05-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Mine looks pretty much like that. The gold flecks look to me to be on the inner surfaces of the barrel, though it's hard to tell exactly. They are unusual but I decided to ignore them.

The front of the lens comes apart kind of like an old Penrax prime, except the trim ring with the lens name is glued on, not threaded. More details in this helpful post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/68137-da-16-45-repair.html

Looking at the optical diagram and parts photos, I think the front two elements are in the same subassembly and these flecks are part of that. (I might be wrong there.)
05-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It does look like something inside, I just checked mine and nothing goldish inside... some dust gets in all lenses really... I wouldn't worry too much... check the images if they are all good than just keep it as is... they might add a nice golden glow to images

05-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. The money question is then: would you be comfortable accepting /selling this lens as "mint" if everything else is looking fine? If there is indeed stuff in the element -which is still not 100% confirmed with certainty (anyone?)- would you return it?

Thanks
05-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
...would you be comfortable accepting /selling this lens as "mint" if everything else is looking fine?

Thanks
If this was bought new - it would be going right back.

If selling, you can say "like new (if it is) but with a large amount of crap inside".
05-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
Big favor, can any of you please post a picture of their 16-45's front element for reference?
05-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

05-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #9

Original Poster
good enough. That's the business! Mine looks exactly like that. I cranked up the PP to make the speckles stand out, but they're basically just like that. Thanks a lot.
05-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
good enough. That's the business! Mine looks exactly like that. I cranked up the PP to make the speckles stand out, but they're basically just like that. Thanks a lot.
I really looked at mine and can't see any evidence of those speckles in the center of the glass area. I come to two possible conclusions that don't make sense:
1. It's a lot of dust and the dust is distributed only at the edges.
2. It's something in the mount for the front element, where nobody would put something sparkly like that.
I'm comfortable with ignoring it.
05-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #11

Funny- mine does not have the speckles. Maybe they are only on the newer ones I got it about 4 years ago.
07-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mine looks just like the above picture, and did so right from the day it was purchased (brand new) only a few months ago.