Another Is this fungus questions....

After somebody told me to check a lens in the dark with a flash light,
i found this on a specific angle and at specific focal lenght
is this fungus?
photos with the lens seem ok to me nothing evident noticeable

05-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow you are hardcore... did you scrap off a sample and try and grow it in a lab? Ok I'm an ass...

The stuff in the left center does seem to have the multiple lines that would suggest fungus, however, I would expect more than just three arms... can you clean it? Did you try? Do you want to? If IQ is what you'd expect I'd say leave it... but I clearly care less about these things than some...
05-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The lines definitely look like fungus. I can read a few Chinese characters on there. The dots look like the beginning of fungal growth. You've probably caught it early before any serious damage occurred. I would immediately clean it with Windex or Pond's cold cream. Then set it under the sun with foil on the bottom for a while to kill the remainder. If you don't feel like opening this lens up, please send it to either Eric or Ralph Innes (assuming this is a MF lens) and they will take care of it for you.

I hope this isn't one of your best lens.

I'm still thinking about the Voigtlander 90mm you have on sale... but chances are I will back off, especially after buying an 85mm Takumar on ebay (THANKS IRA).

Best of luck.
05-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
i wanted to sell the lens and just found out about this after the buyer asked me to check with flash light in the dark

its a rather inexpensive lens 28-70mm FA
and its a auto-focus one so i dont think its worh cleaning

but i dont want to mislead buyer
ill post pics with the lens on my kx tomorrow and you guys can tell me if there seem to be picture quality loss of some sort

05-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There won't be any noticeable image quality loss on your lens, not at that stage of growth, anyway.

It takes quite a lot of fungal growth for the human eyes to catch it via photo quality. Even then, you only notice a sort of haze/blur on certain parts.

To be honest, most lenses with fungal growth will function just as well as a normal lens, it's just the idea that the lens is screwed that deflates the value. It's the knell of death for certain lenses.
05-09-2010, 03:47 AM   #6

Put the lens out in bright sunlight for several hours with the aperture wide open and some tin foil wrapped around the back of it. I have had success with several lenses in clearing out minor fungus infestations to the point you really can't see it anymore. A sunny window sill will work too, just takes longer.