Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I would say that generally speaking primes have better IQ than zooms. Of course there are exceptions. The Pentax 17-70 is a very sharp lens but not as sharp as the DA 40 limited, actually any pentax DA limited is probably sharper than any zoom out there but definately not all primes are sharper than every zoom. That is going to far.
Remember that IQ is not just about sharpness. A zoom lens often has more distortion, more CA, lousier bokeh, less speed, less flare resistance etc.

05-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Remember that IQ is not just about sharpness. A zoom lens often has more distortion, more CA, lousier bokeh, less speed, less flare resistance etc.
Correct. Replace the word "sharp" with IQ in my quote and thats what I meant.

A rule of thumb that I try to photograph by: Use a prime lens WHENEVER possible and whenever NOT possible use a very good zoom.

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lenses, pentax lens, quality, slr lens