Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Helios is exactly like my copy. Nice lens, fairly flare-prone compared to anything Auto-Tak or later in Pentax's line-up but nice to work with, and definitely sharp. I like using mine with extension tubes for pseudo-macros.

The 85mm is a good lens to be sure. I dig on my f/1.9, nice and chunky. My dad's Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 is slightly contrastier wide-open, and shows better IQ pretty much everywhere, but that's a pretty stellar lens, and ~$100 more on the used market.

05-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #92

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was watching same lens

Ira,

Just testament that complaining on this forum works. I had a feeling you were the high bidder on the 85mm 1.9 I had on my Ebay watchlist and didn't snipe you at the end. I'm holding on for that 1.8 anyway. (Not to mention I satisfied my monthly LBA with a buy it now/Best offer on a DA70mm. (Since I think I'm telling the FA77mm to kiss my *ss at this point for similar reasons, myself).

Congrats on your lens. I hope it's everything you've been waiting for!

Last edited by writeb; 05-17-2010 at 02:05 AM.
05-17-2010, 02:40 AM   #93
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
Ira,

Just testament that complaining on this forum works. I had a feeling you were the high bidder on the 85mm 1.9 I had on my Ebay watchlist and didn't snipe you at the end. I'm holding on for that 1.8 anyway. (Not to mention I satisfied my monthly LBA with a buy it now/Best offer on a DA70mm. (Since I think I'm telling the FA77mm to kiss my *ss at this point for similar reasons, myself).

Congrats on your lens. I hope it's everything you've been waiting for!
You're a saint! Good luck with yours!
05-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #94
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It's here!
The wife just called!
I want to go home!

05-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Just go home and use it.
05-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #96
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Just go home and use it.
The boss would love that.
05-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #97
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Holy freaking crap.

She's a thing of beauty that just can't be described. Forget about the spotless and immaculate condition:

No other lens in my arsenal provides a brighter and sharper viewfinder image--none. I didn't expect THIS at all, and maybe I'm just dreaming, but this is INDOORS and I'm noticing this. It's like looking through a different camera.

Tomorrow she goes outside and shots will be taken, but for now, I'm just staring at her and loving her.
05-18-2010, 02:35 AM   #98
Veteran Member

It's amazing this lens ... it's such a joy to shoot with on Digital.

I tried taking a really bad shot with this lens ... but i failed.

05-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Ira, has she already kissed you a** ?
05-19-2010, 01:53 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What's wrong with you ppl?

Feeding him to go hunt for more rare Pentax lenses, hording them and then fleecing us is certainly a no go.

I'd have to agree that I was so afflicted by LBA at one point of time that his 'offerings' seemed oddly 'reasonable'

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I agree with what you are saying but… “Kevin Cameras” has over 3300 eBay feedbacks, so he must be doing something right. Yes his prices are high, but obviously not that high for some people, including myself. I have bought a couple lenses from him that I could not find in decent condition elsewhere. He preys on us folks with acute LBA that must have a specific lens right now at any price!

I’d be more irritated that he is finding all these lenses in great condition, which seem to evade most of us. No way he finds this stuff from yard sales.

Hey Ira didn’t you used to star in a TV show called “Soap” in the late 1970’s and your characters name was “Bob”? Is that you in the front row, second from the right? Wow you haven’t aged a bit! (Love that sweater!!)

Phil.
05-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #101
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
then you have to start looking for an FA* 85
Finally someone is saying something that makes sense! Plus, your camera will simply look impressive with the FA* mounted to it.

Ira, I guess you'll just have to collect all 4 85s... the 1.8, the 1.9 the FA* and the A*. I'll just stick with the FA* because it's wicked sharp and takes a mean picture.
05-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cgoudie Quote
Finally someone is saying something that makes sense! Plus, your camera will simply look impressive with the FA* mounted to it.

Ira, I guess you'll just have to collect all 4 85s... the 1.8, the 1.9 the FA* and the A*. I'll just stick with the FA* because it's wicked sharp and takes a mean picture.
Your missing one

M 85mm....
I and several others love this lens and would never part with it
05-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #103
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I don't like the auto stuff in general.

And I prefer a film look as opposed to video (explained like this for comparison purposes).

The Takumar Club ROCKS!!
05-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Still waiting for mine to show.... maybe next week.
05-27-2010, 05:15 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Showed up today - the exterior is pretty good -lenses are showing the Super Takumar yellow look to the front element. Silky smooth focus with no hiccups. Interior is dusty with a bit of hair and stuff - perhaps once kept in a plush lined camera bag. The three mm scratch is shaped like a meteor streak as if it has brushed up against the filter ring in same bag - quite narrow though and no discolouration in it There are other cleaning marks as well but only on the front eleent. . I have removed the front element and blown out the larger dust particles but there is a smattering of smaller dust in it still. No fungus though.

Will see how it performs. Heavy lens! Okay for the price paid.