Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Can it be fixed?

I bumped by 16-45 mm lens, with hood attached, against my desk. One of the 4 plastic nubbins on the lens that hold the sunshade/hood on is now chipped away slightly. So the shade rests loosely on the lens. Can this be fixed?

(I now use a rubber screw-on shade that I actually like better, but I may want to sell the lens some day. )

05-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KEH occasionally lists the hood for sale much less than the outrageous price from Pentax for a new one. I ended up getting my hood from the PF Marketplace in response to a WANTED ad. Good luck with the fix....that is the only quick/cheap way.
05-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In my case it's the lens itself that had the mishap, and which I hope to be able to fix.

However, I agree on the ridiculous cost of a hood. And once it's on, there's not way to attach the lens cap! With the inexpensive rubber hoods, you can put the cap on, and they offer far better protection than the "snazzy" looking plastic shades.
05-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you saved the "plastic nubbin" that broke off then you might be able to fix it. Same sort of thing happened to me once and I was able to super glue the chipped piece back on without an issue. So long as you're careful and get a good bond, it should as good as new. Certainly worth a shot if you still have the piece.

QuoteOriginally posted by tmacdon Quote
I bumped by 16-45 mm lens, with hood attached, against my desk. One of the 4 plastic nubbins on the lens that hold the sunshade/hood on is now chipped away slightly. So the shade rests loosely on the lens. Can this be fixed?

(I now use a rubber screw-on shade that I actually like better, but I may want to sell the lens some day. )

05-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly can't hurt to try and glue it back but as you said, only to help with future resale. I used the rubber hoods and also bought a screw-on hard petal hood that I dremeled/filed until there was no vignetting at 16mm. But I added the original hood just for possible resale....someday. The modified hard petal hood looks a little cooler than the rubber but of course does not store reversed. If you can't repair your lens you are welcome to the 67mm screw-on petal hood I made for free.