Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens hood for A-series lens...

I am looking for a good, readily available lens hood for a Pentax A 50mm prime. These have the 49mm thread. Any recommendations regarding:

- plastic vs. rubber ?
- clip on vs. thread on ?

There are a number of "flower petal" style hoods on eBay that are akin to the current style on modern Pentax lenses in this focal range. They screw on to the lens or filter. Any experience or thoughts on these ?

I am assuming that there is nothing out there that "reverses" to store on the lens itself for these older lenses, since this would be the better storage solution. Anything that allows you to have the hood on and the lens cap at the same time ?

Thanks for suggestions and experiences. Cheers !

05-09-2010, 03:04 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I like the rubber hood on my 50mm A lens because i can adjust it to the body im using. Fully extended on a cropped sensor and in the middle position for a film camera. Im also planning to get the 28mm lens, which also has a 49mm thread. I guess i would use it in the middle pisition on a cropped sensor and in its most compact position on a film camera. That way you have one hood for more lenses, i guess the original metal hoods are more effective though. Someone else would however have to tell you about that, since i never had one myself.
05-09-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

B+W | 49mm Screw-In Metal Lens Hood #950 | 65041210 | B&H Photo
B+W | 49mm Screw-In Metal Telephoto Lens Hood #960 | 65069625
Heliopan | 49mm Screw-In Metal Lens Hood (Short) | 703049 | B&H
Heliopan | 49mm Screw-In Metal Telephoto Lens Hood | 702049

You can use tele hood with standard lens on APS-C body. But for FF, use the short hood.
05-09-2010, 05:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
You can use tele hood with standard lens on APS-C body. But for FF, use the short hood.
My understanding is that you actually should use longer hoods for use with APS-C.

05-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #5

New Metal Standard 49mm Screw-in Lens Hood + Cap - eBay (item 200470403546 end time Jun-07-10 21:16:35 PDT)

heavystar is the man for hoods
05-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I use and love the metal Takumar 135 f3.5/150 f4/200mm f5.6 hood. Very solid and works fine with the 50 (but is nice and deep). You can just put a 62mm lens cap on the front of that hood--that's what I do. Here's one on ebay (may not be the cheepest) just so you know what you're looking for:
Pentax Takumar hood 135mm f3.5 150mm f4 200mm f5.6 - eBay (item 230469795446 end time May-09-10 19:06:18 PDT)
05-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Santoku Quote
I am looking for a good, readily available lens hood for a Pentax A 50mm prime. These have the 49mm thread. Any recommendations regarding:

- plastic vs. rubber ?
- clip on vs. thread on ?

There are a number of "flower petal" style hoods on eBay that are akin to the current style on modern Pentax lenses in this focal range. They screw on to the lens or filter. Any experience or thoughts on these ?

I am assuming that there is nothing out there that "reverses" to store on the lens itself for these older lenses, since this would be the better storage solution. Anything that allows you to have the hood on and the lens cap at the same time ?

Thanks for suggestions and experiences. Cheers !
I use a 49mm diameter standard rubber hood. It folds up to just about nothing and mounts on all my prime lenses (28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 100mm). The lens-specific hoods all stay home. A standard hood does not provide as much protection on a 50mm lens as a telephoto hood, but it provides as much coverage as the FA 50's original Pentax rectangular hood and I have not had a problem with flare.

The standard Pentax 49mm pinch cap fits inside the hood for double protection. More importantly, I can use the rubber hood with a CPL and it allows me to access the filter for adjustment just by folding the hood back. This is not possible with the Pentax rectangular hood or a metal hood. One caveat, I've heard that some rubber hoods do not have internal threads for mounting a cap or filter. Avoid this type.
05-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated !

05-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #9

I'm thinking about getting one of the "heavystar" ebay hoods. Should I go for the standard or telephoto version? I need a cap too so it seems like a good deal. Thanks!

Edit: Its for a 50mm prime......

Last edited by Benasaki; 05-12-2010 at 05:10 PM.
05-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Benasaki Quote
I'm thinking about getting one of the "heavystar" ebay hoods. Should I go for the standard or telephoto version? I need a cap too so it seems like a good deal. Thanks!

Edit: Its for a 50mm prime......
Tele's probably quite OK on APS-C: for dual purpose, go with normal.

I see there are other 'friends of Mr. Heavystars' here.