Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
A lens for construction business...

For the past two months i've been working at a huge construction site which i really like... The problem is, every time i try to take a picutre of some scene I like, my lens is just not wide enough (usually the 18-55)... Therefore, i'm thinking of buying something wider, and here's where i need your help. I can't choose between the sigma 10-20, or the Pentax 10-17.

I know one is linear and the other one a fish-eye, but since i've never had a fisheye, i can't tell wether the distortion is too much or not...

I've tried the Sigma, but haven't had luck finding the Pentax (keep in mind i'm in Chile and we have no B&H. Do you have any ideas? Any tips? I'd really appreciate some help...

05-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess it really depends on the perspective that you like. If you want a linear representation of an image go for the 10-20. If you like the distorted look then the fisheye will suffice. Personally for me I like the linear representation of a scene. Take a look at your pictures taken with the kit lens @18mm. Do you like the slight distortion in those pictures? A fisheye will have much more distortion than what you see with the Kit Lens.
05-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have worked in civil engineering construction sites, and I have taken many photographs of a range of sites. I found that I need both wide angles as well as zoom/close up of some details: ie a fairly long zoom. I found that my DA18-250mm is quite good for my needs: wide enough for overall photos of the sites (even if I 'stitch' shots for panoramic views), and good zoom range for close-up details.

At 18mm, the DA18-250mm has some lens distortion, and I use the software PTLens (http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/) for lens distortion correction. I prefer the PTlens correction to the on-board K-7 lens distortion correction.

Ideally I find myself 'dreaming' of a DA18-350mmWR lens...

I add that I take a WR camera body because most sites are dusty, muddy ands sometimes 'wet'. The DA18-250mm is not WR but is very strong and I take care of it.

Hope that the comment will help...

Last edited by hcc; 05-08-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Typos
05-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Since the primary focus of your images are going to be construction and architecture, I would shy away from the 10-17. The Fisheye will exaggerate the rectangular shapes, with the fisheye bend and I doubt that you will be perfectly happy - all the time. With the rectilinear lens, the 10-20, you will get what you want the vast majority of the time.

I have both the 12-24 and 10-17. In terms of field of view the 10-17 (FOV 180 to 100 degrees) complements the 12-24 (FOV 100 to 60 degrees) very well. If you can only get one or the other go for the 10-20.

05-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I have worked in civil engineering construction sites, and I have taken many photographs of a range of sites. I found that I need both wide angles as well as zoom/close up of some details: ie a fairly long zoom. I found that my DA18-250mm is quite good for my needs: wide enough for overall photos of the sites (even if I 'stitch' shots for panoramic views), and good zoom range for close-up details.

At 18mm, the DA18-250mm has some lens distortion, and I use the software PTLens (PTLens) for lens distortion correction. I prefer the PTlens correction to the on-board K-7 lens distortion correction.

Ideally I find myself 'dreaming' of a DA18-350mmWR lens...

I add that I take a WR camera body because most sites are dusty, muddy ands sometimes 'wet'. The DA18-250mm is not WR but is very strong and I take care of it.

Hope that the comment will help...
This is very good advice.
I am a manager and would NOT allow my guys to use a fisheye at all.
I have the 10-20 and that actually has a fair amount of distortion as well.
05-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

I moved this to lenses since it's more to do with lenses than general photography. Good luck with your search!
05-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I know its not a suggestion about which lens to get but have you ever thought about simply stitching together pictures to give yourself a wide angle image?
05-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would never buy a fisheye before buying the rectilinear version. I know far too many people who regret shelling several hundred for a fisheye, only to get tired of it after 2 weeks. They then have no money left over for a proper rectilinear lens. Just remember that the rectilinear lens is useful and proper for just about any situation while fisheyes are only acceptable for a small number of situations.

05-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I know its not a suggestion about which lens to get but have you ever thought about simply stitching together pictures to give yourself a wide angle image?
I've actually been doing it for a couple of years, but since I can now afford it, I thought I'd buy a real WA lens... Besides, I really hate PP'ing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
This is very good advice.
I am a manager and would NOT allow my guys to use a fisheye at all.
I have the 10-20 and that actually has a fair amount of distortion as well.
Well, you got me, I'm buying the sigma...and while I'm at it, maybe I'll also buy the DA55-300mm since I don't have a tele, but that's another issue on its own...

Thanks a lot guys! I'll be posting some shots as soon as I get the lenses!