Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #1

43mm ƒ1.9 - Made in Japan Vs. Made Wherever today? Quality Issues?

I'm sure it's been asked, but I can't find the answer.

What's the difference between the older "Made in Japan" 43mm's and today's?

Is there a quality issue or does it not really matter? People seem to prefer the made in Japan versions and seek them out.

Where are the 43mm's being made today?

Should I buy a new one today from Amazon, or hunt down an used one made in Japan?

(By the way, if someone is selling an used 43mm, I will buy it.)

Last edited by PentaxForums-User; 05-11-2010 at 11:24 PM.
05-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I think the biggest issue of the Assembled in Vietnam lenses has been with the FA 31mm. Multiple people have posted photos that show visible differences in the sharpness of the 31. For all we know, these are the exception to the rule. But I think it wise to avoid the AIV 31 for now.

About a week ago all FA 31 lenses have been pulled from stock around the world, as far as I can tell. I think this means that Pentax realized that there is a problem and is taking appropriate steps to fix any problems. This is reassuring.

The 77 and 43 remain on the market. And I haven't seen many people complaining about these lenses. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable with an AIV version of these, but on the other hand there are plenty of MIJ used versions floating around.

You should follow your gut. Do what will make you happy. But if you do choose to buy a new AIV version, most reputable dealers will gladly accept a return if you feel like the quality is somehow diminished. This type of service is not available in general on the used market. So you'll have to make a decision and follow your gut, but the new version includes a safety net.
05-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Not sure about the Vietnam issue, but I do remember reading about a change in the way colors were rendered in original and later issue 43mms.
05-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
About a week ago all FA 31 lenses have been pulled from stock around the world, as far as I can tell.
Is this the same with the 50-135mm since no-one seems to have them in stock anywhere?

05-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I don't believe the 50-135 has been pulled. I've found it available with a quick search.

Probably just a naturally short supply. It has been in and out of stock for a while.
05-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I don't believe the 50-135 has been pulled. I've found it available with a quick search.

Probably just a naturally short supply. It has been in and out of stock for a while.
The 50-135 has been out of stock for a long time, man!
05-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter

RE: 50-135
4 in stock at Amazon
In stock at Provantage
In stock at BuyDig

Froogle shows some other places that have stock.

The 31mm, however, is gone from everywhere. Everywhere. Highly suggestive of a recall rather than supply issues.