Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
This would be more of a concern for lenses that actually have motors in them. The DA Limited lenses, like most Pentax AF lenses (except those few with SDM) do not. Their electronics are basically no more sophisticated than those of "A" series manual focus lenses: they communicate aperture info to the body via a series of electrical contacts. OK, they also communicate focal length and MTF info, but still, it's not like we're talking about high-precision moving parts that are controlled electronically by the lens - they are still essentially mechanical devices.
I'm convinced, Marc. To the point to buy another one. DA35 just added to the collection. Now, I better stop my LBA spree before wifey finds out!

05-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Are you implying that they will NEVER fail? Awesome.
Are there anything in this world that will not fail other than death and taxes??

Doubt it.

At least ltds do not have SDM. Thank God, or somebody for that matter. I wish limiteds did not have AF function, although nobody other than me would buy them then. :ugh:
05-15-2010, 12:03 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Are there anything in this world that will not fail other than death and taxes??

Doubt it.

At least ltds do not have SDM. Thank God, or somebody for that matter. I wish limiteds did not have AF function, although nobody other than me would buy them then. :ugh:
To me, I consider the series A to be almost equivalent to the limited series without AF...
05-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
To me, I consider the series A to be almost equivalent to the limited series without AF...
Some, but not all.

05-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #20
Nubi

A*'s certainly.
05-16-2010, 04:31 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
" Build quality of Pentax Limited lenses?
I'm being presented with a good opportunity to purchase two DA limited lenses at a good price.

I've heard a lot of good words on those lenses but how about the probability that they will fail after a given period? Does anyone have any numbers on life expectancy of those lenses given a normal usage?"

I only have one lens in this group the Da 70/2.4 Limited. The build quality seems very good to me. Is suspect I shall replace the camera long before I wear out any of my lenses. I'm hoping that won't be any time soon.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 05-16-2010 at 04:33 AM. Reason: typo
05-16-2010, 06:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The FA Limiteds have a superior exterior finish compared to the DA Limiteds. The black anodised finish of the FA is thicker than that of the DA Limiteds. Use a DA Limited long enough and there will be small wear/user marks where the black areas start wearing off on raised ridges like the focusing ring or edges. The problem with the black FA Limiteds is the clear coat varnish starts flaking off over time, it won't affect the performance of the lens but it just becomes an eyesore. Of course if you are a collector or don't use the lenses often enough, you probably won't experience the above. Bottomline is imo the DA Limiteds are slightly lower in build quality compared to the FA Limiteds but are probably better value if you factor in current pricing into the equation.

I like both FA and DA Limiteds but occasionally I just can't stand the stupid hood/slip-on cap designs. The DA 21mm has a very nice bayonet hood but lose the slip-on cap and you'll be hard pressed to find a replacement. The DA 35mm Macro's sliding hood makes it dead easy for the slip-on lens cap to fall off, so for peace of mind a normal 49mm plastic clip-on lens cap replaces it. The DA 40mm's screw-in lens cap is fiddly and time consuming to remove, so a film canister cover or a hard to find 30.5mm snap-on cap is a must and that stupid DA 70mm lens hood is pretty much a hopeless design imo as like the DA 35mm, over time the slip-on cap will get looser and the risk of losing it increases. To me that's the only quirky thing with the DA Limited lenses. The FA limited lenses have slip-on lens caps that fit a little more snugly but I just replace them with plastic clip-ons lens caps as I don't want to risk scratching them.

Last edited by creampuff; 05-16-2010 at 06:25 AM.
05-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The FA Limiteds have a superior exterior finish compared to the DA Limiteds. The black anodised finish of the FA is thicker than that of the DA Limiteds. Use a DA Limited long enough and there will be small wear/user marks where the black areas start wearing off on raised ridges like the focusing ring or edges.

I know what you're saying about the black paint wearing off. My last addition to the DA limited family, DA35, has that issue. Because of that I was able to get quite a nice discount on the lens. Honestly, as long as the glasses are pristine, I can live with that. So far I love the small DA limited collection (DA35/40/70) that I just started.

Attached Images

Last edited by ducdao; 05-16-2010 at 11:50 PM. Reason: added image