Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Build quality of Pentax Limited lenses?

I'm being presented with a good opportunity to purchase two DA limited lenses at a good price.

I've heard a lot of good words on those lenses but how about the probability that they will fail after a given period? Does anyone have any numbers on life expectancy of those lenses given a normal usage?

05-10-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt they'd fail you during use- or at least before a full-frame comes out They have a solid yet simple metal construction and aren't prone to as much wear and tear due to their small size.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-10-2010, 02:12 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
In terms of longevity, they should outlast you under proper use. But in terms of built, FA limteds are definitely a notch better. The A50 f1.2 is yet even better than the FA limiteds though.
05-10-2010, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Don't take them, they are bad lenses, send me the contact details of the seller, I like to collect junk.

05-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looks like a GO! Thanks all!
05-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Got both DA 40 & 70 Limited today in mint condition for under $550.

Will take both out for a ride this week-end, can't wait!
05-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote

great price for two of them together IMO
As for their quality, I wouldn´t be worried. I was tossing my 40ltd around everywhere for 2 years before I sold it. It withstood any kind of punishment you can think of as "normal circumstances"... rain, snow, being carried/hit in non camrea (read not padded) bag... etc. The lens was stil fine when I was selling it and I got for it more than when I bought it new

anyway, congrats and enjoy

05-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I doubt they'd fail you during use- or at least before a full-frame comes out
Are you implying that they will NEVER fail? Awesome.
05-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
are you implying that they will never fail? Awesome.
lol
05-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I can't imagine one of them failing. But that's the fact for all non-IS scew drive of manual lenses made of metal. Like the precious DA14.
05-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow! Fantastic price for those lenses. I had the DA 70 Ltd and it was excellent. The build was first-rate, and optically a gem. It has a quality SD focus mechanism with quick shift. I'll bet those Ltds will last well beyond your interest in photography without missing a beat.

The DA Limiteds are fantastic lenses and should last "forever." It is the DA* lenses we would have an argument about...

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 05-11-2010 at 03:19 PM.
05-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I can't imagine one of them failing. But that's the fact for all non-IS scew drive of manual lenses made of metal. Like the precious DA14.
I know the build quality of the manual lenses is excellent. But my initial concern about the DA limited was because unlike manual lenses, they are auto focus lenses hence they have electronic components and I think those are generally the weakest links.
05-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Wow! Fantastic price for those lenses. I had the DA 70 Ltd and it was excellent. The build was first-rate, and optically a gem. It has a quality SD focus mechanism with quick shift. I'll bet those Ltds will last well beyond your interest in photography without missing a beat.

The DA Limiteds are fantastic lenses and should last "forever." It is the DA* lenses we would have an argument about...
I just realized on on the back of both lenses, there is a small print saying "Assembled in Vietnam". Were there any DA limited lenses assembled in Japan?
05-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

That is a good price for both limited edition lenses.
As for their quality, I wouldn´t be worried as the Limited lens built is normally better than the normal lens.
Most Pentax lenses in the last 3 years were made either in the Philipines or Vietnam.
05-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I know the build quality of the manual lenses is excellent. But my initial concern about the DA limited was because unlike manual lenses, they are auto focus lenses hence they have electronic components and I think those are generally the weakest links.
This would be more of a concern for lenses that actually have motors in them. The DA Limited lenses, like most Pentax AF lenses (except those few with SDM) do not. Their electronics are basically no more sophisticated than those of "A" series manual focus lenses: they communicate aperture info to the body via a series of electrical contacts. OK, they also communicate focal length and MTF info, but still, it's not like we're talking about high-precision moving parts that are controlled electronically by the lens - they are still essentially mechanical devices.