Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2010, 05:39 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
warning, Math Involved

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I have a 1000mm lens and 1.4x, 1.7x & 2x TCs and there are still things that are out of reach! Save your money & get close.
even when you stack them all together, the moon is still 250,000 miles away

But you do raise a point

Image size = subject size x focal length / distance

getting closer is the best approach and also the cheapest,

When you consider some of the shots I posted/linked earlier, all but the whooping crane (big white bird) are full frame shots, where I was close enough to fill the entire sensor, or almost do so, with the subject (in each case the whole bird). The whooping crane is an exception, it is 10% of the area cropped out of my K10D somewhat proving your point that things can be out of reach regardless of focal length attached.

05-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
getting closer is the best approach and also the cheapest,
To some extent it's a "Do as I say not as I do" sort of thing, I'm afraid but all of my good shots have been those where cropping was minimal. If I've learned one thing it's that filling the frame is essential to getting all the resolution your gear can deliver.
05-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
Thank you for all your answers

The DA * 300 + 1,7 TC seems the best choise so far. That would give me a 510mm f7,1 right? Good for some really good light situations I guess. But I can just use the 300mm alone in those days, and just accept that some will be out of reach
Close, the camera actually reads f/6.7 when the TC is mounted.

And I certainly agree with Lowell that this does not make it a bright light only combo. Heck the Bigma at 500mm wide open is f/6.3 and requires a little stopping down for best IQ.