Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What lens are they?

Not sure if this question should belong to Lens or Software section.
I just got 2 Sigma lenses, a 28-70 AF Epsilon 3.5-4.5 and a 74-300 4.5 - 5.6. Tested them with my K20D, when I opened the photos with PhotoME, this is what I got in Overview:

smc PENTAX-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 or Tokina AT-X Pro AF 28-70mm F2.6-2.8

smc PENTAX-F 70-210mm F4-5.6 or Tokina AF 730 75-300mm F4.5-5.6

Any idea?

05-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #2

This has happened before to someone else here at Pentaxforums. Just about the same circumstances. Person had a lens, uploads pictures to their computer and voila it says its a different lens! uhh what? I think they were wondering if they had such&such lens only theirs was "rebadged" to a different brand name... My two cents is that it's the programs that are to blame here. I mean you know you've got sigma's. I mean it says sigma right there on the lens. So basically it just sounds like this program trying to make an educated guess as to what lens it is based on the focal length you were shooting at (and bear in mind I'm no computer expert) at the time and failing miserably. Someone more knowledgeable, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.
05-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Quote
Any idea?
That's PhotoME trying to identify lenses which it does not know (or which may not have a unique lens identifier?). Not sure on what basis it makes its guess but this is is nothing unusual.
05-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
What lens

Thank you private ryan and class A, PhotoMe incomplete database was what I suspected.
Anyway, the lenses are quite sharp, the 75-300 focuses faster than my FA 80-320, and I am happy!