Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2007, 06:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Rate some old lenses for me

Hi,

I've just purchased a Samsung GX10 (was much cheaper for me to have it shipped over to Australia from b&h than to get the K10d - no rebate for us, although I would have preferred a 'real' pentax!), and have the opportunity to get my hands on some cheap second hand lenses.

The lenses come from an old Pentax MG SLR, and are as follows:

1 x Asahi 1:2 50 mm

1 x Asahi 1:2.5 135mm

1 x Asahi 1:2.8 28mm

1 x SunTelephoto 1:5 85-300mm

I would appreciate any comments on these lenses (are they any good?), and what do you think would be a reasonable price to pay for the bundle (they are all clean and in good condition).

Thanks heaps, Dave

edit: Would the 135mm be good for macro?

Last edited by bonovox; 07-30-2007 at 07:15 AM.
07-30-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd certainly grab the 3 Pentax lenses. All are quite good. The 50mm is considered a lower end lens by many but is still very good but not worth more than $20-30 USD on todays market. The 28mm is similar, very good just not considered to be outstanding and worth $45-60 used. I've never extensively used the 135mm version (K- version) you can get but have heard it is excellent. I had a chance to try a friends version very briefly and the images seemed sharp, contrasty and good at all aperture settings. Still has a very good value on the used market and I've seen a few sell for over $175-250
Can't really comment on the Sun telephoto as I've never used it. I assume that it is not an A series lens. I'd suggest you give it a try first but if it's cheap enough (less than $40) then you probably can't go wrong to get your kit started.

You will most likely want to sell these over time. They will offer a great starting point to learn the camera but are limited in total functionality on the camera as you will be shooting mostly in M mode. A,F,FA, DA etc lenses will allow all the cameras other settings and you'll probably up grade these (with maybe the exception of the 135mm) as you shoot more.

by the way you should check out the lens data base here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/index.php for some comments and also Stans site here: Introduction for others thoughts on the Pentax lenses. Welcome to the forum as well. It's a great site with tons of info and friendly discussion.

Edit: I should have made a note as well that if the 135mm is the Takumar version (I don't think so from you description) then that is a very different lens that is reported to not be very good compared to the Pentax 135mm f2.5

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-30-2007 at 08:00 AM.
07-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice.

I'm definitely looking forward to playing with them, and trying to patiently progress (i.e. not upgrade to more expensive lenses too quickly!)

What kind of dollars for the 135mm then?
07-30-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Shooting in manual will probably be good for me too - force me to improve.

The bundle comes with an old pentax mg, so I might put the 50mm on it and try to sell it on ebay, then upgrade to a 50mm 1:1.4?

07-30-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bonovox Quote
The lenses come from an old Pentax MG SLR, and are as follows:

1 x Asahi 1:2 50 mm

1 x Asahi 1:2.5 135mm

1 x Asahi 1:2.8 28mm

1 x SunTelephoto 1:5 85-300mm
I assume they are bayonet mount, probably the Takumar (Bayonet) kind? There is a large discrepancy in value (and price) between the Asahi Super-Takumar, Asahi Super-Multi-Coated Takumar, SMC Pentax, and Takumar (Bayonet) versions of the 135mm lenses. The SMC Pentax 135/2.5 is a great lens, the Takumar (Bayonet) 135/2.5 is from what I have seen good but not up to the SMC Pentax version.
I assume the 28/2.8 is the Pentax-M variety, probably a $40 lens. It is OK, not bad, not great.

The 50/2 is mediocre. I wouldn't pay more than US$15 for one, mainly because you can find them in droves on eBay with a camera attached for $20.

edit: Would the 135mm be good for macro?
No, not even close. You'll get better close-ups from the 50.
07-30-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I don't really know the details of the lenses - I'll find out when I get them!

I'm thinking about US$150-180 would be a reasonable expectation of price? (assuming they are middle of the road in terms of the different options you mentioned carpents)
07-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm thinking about US$150-180 would be a reasonable expectation of price? (assuming they are middle of the road in terms of the different options you mentioned carpents)
It really depends, mostly on the 135mm. If it is the SMC Pentax 1:2.5 135mm (see details on this exact lens here) then in good condition I think it is worth US$200. If it is the Takumar (Bayonet) 1:2.5 135mm (see the actual lens here) I wouldn't pay more than $30 for it.

Check out Boz's non-SMC Prime Lenses page - these are all cheaper than the SMC Pentax equivalents. If all of your lenses are non-SMC lenses, I wouldn't pay more than $75 for the whole bunch. The zoom is a $10 lens only.

That isn't to say they aren't decent lenses, they just don't command that much money and their value won't increase like the SMC Pentax lenses have.
07-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'd basically agree with Carpents. The 135 is a great macro lens on a set of bellows or extension tubes but not on it's own. The 50 would be the best for that from this group. But the 28 and 50mm are still pretty decent lenses in my book, they just have a very low resell value as there are a zillion out there.

As for price, if I were making the offer I'd really want to know what that 135mm is and if the others are SMC Pentax versions. Get the seller to give you everything that is printed on the front as well as the filter size (or at least the lens cap size). If it's the Takumar version then I wouldn't go a cent higher than $125.00 for the lot. If it turns out to be the K Pentax SMC version, then the lot is worth over $200 and you will have to determine how high you can go (but not more than $300 I think).

You have to ask a few other very important questions.

1) is there any indication of oil on the aperture blades on any of the lenses? This happens when a lens has been left in a hot car etc and the lubricant for the focus mechanism will get hot and loosen up, then run on to the aperture blades. The lens will often act sluggish and stick when this happens.

2) Is there any indication of haze, mould or fungus inside the lens. If the lens got wet or was poorly stored in damp conditions, fungus can grow on the inside of the glass. It can be removed but at these prices it's not worth the trouble. It will eventually grow and ruin the lens. It looks like faint frost on a winter window.

3) do the aperture rings snap crisply in place when the settings are changed? Sometimes the spring loaded ball bearing that locks the aperture settings will jam or slip. If it jams you can't change settings and if it slips then the aperture will not click into place. Both are caused by heavy use and from wear.

4) are the focus rings smooth? Some lenses will be sloppy or tight. If they are too loose you can get focus but the lens will be very touchy and can loose focus with the slightest touch. if they are tight then it is very hard to get the exact focus because the focus ring is binding and will jump when moved slowly.

5) that the glass is scratch free at both ends. If SMC glass, that the coating (front and rear) is totally intact all around the glass, particularly at the edges where it can start to 'lift' if cleaned with anything harsh or scratched.

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-30-2007 at 09:49 AM.
07-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the great advice Peter.
I'll ask more questions for sure.

I think the prices you guys are suggesting are acheivable in North America, but supply is much more limited in Australia, and shipping costs often means those US sellers who are willing to ship here (many aren't) charge more.

For this reason, I'd probably be happy to pay more than what you would (just to save the hassle of spending weeks hunting around).

If I lose a bit of cash (when I eventually re-sell/upgrade), I'm happy to wear that cost in order to get a selection of lenses to play with now.

I appreciate your advice, and will now be better equipped to hunt stuff down in the future!

Cheers.