Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2010, 06:12 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
.On a site note, my collection includes every Pentax 50mm except the K50/1.2. LBA confirmed! Now, to get that 1.2...
my quote of 160 lenses does not account for some of the second, third, and in some cases fourth copies.

I might have a triplicate on the K50mm f/1.2 -I'll check the lens inventory list tomorrow. Would you like the 18 karat gold plated version? with the crocodile leather focusing ring? hmmm I've never actually used that lens...I wonder if it is any good.

oh drat and bother, I'll have to get a gold K-7

05-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
And hey, we're both in Singapore!
Yes, scorpioh. We should meet for coffee and do some photo shoots together

QuoteQuote:
To answer your original question- if needed, yes!
Well Adam, forgive me for being blunt, but really, I ain't convinced. I would love to hear some good reasons from your kind self as to why exactly you see a 'need' for those multiple copies which are currently already in your collection. I promise, you'll have difficulty finding one. Ha..........

But Adam, if possible, can you post one or two photos of your collection here please? I'm sure it'll be an eye opener for many of us here

QuoteQuote:
I acquired recentyl a takumar 35/3.5 for the same reasons. The M 35/2 is nice but having to change between film and digital for focal lengths is really unconfortable. But then again, this will add a third body sometimes. Well, not really.

I have three different takumar 55/1.8 including the one with the flipped aperture ring. But all of them have had fungus. The normal and preset takumar 200 and 135 also can be Focal length "duplicates".
Thanks for sharing, summonbaka

QuoteQuote:
my quote of 160 lenses does not account for some of the second, third, and in some cases fourth copies.
Dear Digitalis:

I believe you ever posted pictures of your collection in one of your earlier thread. I did search for it, but the photo link is no longer valid

It must be one great impressive collection you have there. Any chance you can post pictures of them here please

It'll be great to have the opportunity to admire the collection of two great Pentaxians
05-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just12hvFun Quote
I must admit, for lenses I really love, I am always tempted to own a second and
usually 'better' condition copy

I wonder if any one else does the same

Perhaps you own a second or third copy........ for some good reasons :ugh:

Can you please share them with us

Is this LBA or is it worse than LBA
For budgetary reasons, I can't see myself keeping duplicate equipment. I just don't have the money for everything I want, much less multiples of the stuff I want.

I recently sold a Spotmatic and 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar I got at a pawn shop. They weren't bad or anything...it's just I already had the exact same items.

I Do have a couple different 50mm lenses...An A/2, A/1.7 and A/1.4. That's because if I go out shooting for the day with my Fiancee's girl scout troop, I need them all in order to put glass on every camera we're using. I used to have 2 28-80 zooms, but I sold one (Sold the FA 28-80 F/3.5, kept the Sigma 28-80 F/3.5 Macro because of the macro feature.).
05-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #34

I have two DA 18-55. First one I got with my K10D, and second one bought second hand for very good price. Why? Because back than I had only kit 18-55 and 55-200 but also wanted to use my camere whenever possible. That included rain and snow, near the sea wtc. So I got the other 18-55 for such conditions, so I don't have to worry if I'm going to damage the lens. Te best thing is that that one was actually sharper than mine so they "switched places"
Also have FA 50/1.4 which I boguth and Super Takumar 50/1.4 which I got for birthday (with Honeywell Spotmatic as back cap ). FA is much more used because off auto focus,but I use Tak when I don't need AF because it's sharper wide open.

05-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #35
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wish I could have duplicates of my three FA Limiteds but in silver color.
05-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
For budgetary reasons, I can't see myself keeping duplicate equipment. I just don't have the money for everything I want, much less multiples of the stuff I want.

I recently sold a Spotmatic and 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar I got at a pawn shop. They weren't bad or anything...it's just I already had the exact same items.

I Do have a couple different 50mm lenses...An A/2, A/1.7 and A/1.4. That's because if I go out shooting for the day with my Fiancee's girl scout troop, I need them all in order to put glass on every camera we're using. I used to have 2 28-80 zooms, but I sold one (Sold the FA 28-80 F/3.5, kept the Sigma 28-80 F/3.5 Macro because of the macro feature.).

QuoteQuote:
I have two DA 18-55. First one I got with my K10D, and second one bought second hand for very good price. Why? Because back than I had only kit 18-55 and 55-200 but also wanted to use my camere whenever possible. That included rain and snow, near the sea wtc. So I got the other 18-55 for such conditions, so I don't have to worry if I'm going to damage the lens. Te best thing is that that one was actually sharper than mine so they "switched places"
Also have FA 50/1.4 which I boguth and Super Takumar 50/1.4 which I got for birthday (with Honeywell Spotmatic as back cap ). FA is much more used because off auto focus,but I use Tak when I don't need AF because it's sharper wide open.

Thanks for your kind sharings, unixrevolution and Spex

QuoteQuote:
I wish I could have duplicates of my three FA Limiteds but in silver color.
Yes, Voe. I share the same feeling as you :ugh:

Great it will be, if ever I have the opportunity to own a full set of silver FA Limiteds and especially if they come with those rare coloured leather pouches

Dear me. If this isn't LBA, what else is
05-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #37
Ira
Inactive Account

I can see myself starting to collect Tak duplicates, because prices are going to hold steady and also go up.

Ironically, all of my Taks are the Supers--not one Super Multi Coated. It just turned out that way, coincidence, and it aggravates me because with most of the models, the SMCs are said to be superior.
05-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Ira I can see myself starting to collect Tak duplicates, because prices are going to hold steady and also go up.

Ironically, all of my Taks are the Supers--not one Super Multi Coated. It just turned out that way, coincidence, and it aggravates me because with most of the models, the SMCs are said to be superior.
I can see your point, Ira

Yes, it's unlikely lens prices will fall and that probably encourages most of us to try get our hands on a 'good' duplicate of our favourites

Well, I believe a good collection is a great collection be it the Supers or SMCs

Any pictures on your collection please

05-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #39
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Just12hvFun Quote
Any pictures on your collection please
I never did one, but when my 85 arrives, I'll do a family portrait--using my Tamron!

Maybe I'll try to come up with a theme and use that as my entry into next month's "Sun" contest.
05-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Maybe I'll try to come up with a theme and use that as my entry into next month's "Sun" contest.
Great idea, Ira

Now, where's that 85 of yours? Fall in now

It's picture time
05-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I have mint duplicates of a handful of my more expensive, harder to find primes (Takumar M42 20mm, 85mm, 100mm Macro, 50mm 1:1 Preset Macro, 24mm) because it gives me peace of mind when out shooting with one of these that if something happened to them, I have another copy at home.

Last edited by raymeedc; 05-14-2010 at 09:44 AM.
05-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #42
Site Supporter

I have several "fast 50s" and like them all. I do have to admit to owning a duplicate though and actually going out of my way to get it. I have two XR Rikenon 50/2. One came on a XR-2s body and the other was purchased for a XR7 body to make it "type appropriate". The two Rikenons are good lenses (very sharp), but I still prefer the Pentax-M 50/1.7 that is normally mated to the XR7.

Steve
05-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #43

Of the copies you have, do you ever rotate them? It was said earlier, leaving them sitting makes them rust and can even grow fungus if not properly taken care of.

So, do you shoot with your second/third copies of a lens?

I've always thought that gathering and "over collecting" a lens not only makes it rarer in the wild (making the prices go up, mostly what a collector/reseller wants but not necesarilly good for everyone else), but also cuts the possibility of someone else using and trying one specific lens (yes, I'm bitter I can't get my hands in a normal range preset lens).
05-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #44
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by summonbaka Quote
Of the copies you have, do you ever rotate them? It was said earlier, leaving them sitting makes them rust and can even grow fungus if not properly taken care of.

So, do you shoot with your second/third copies of a lens?

I've always thought that gathering and "over collecting" a lens not only makes it rarer in the wild (making the prices go up, mostly what a collector/reseller wants but not necesarilly good for everyone else), but also cuts the possibility of someone else using and trying one specific lens (yes, I'm bitter I can't get my hands in a normal range preset lens).
That 28-75 Tammy you have is magic.
05-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"Do you own multiple copies of the same lens?"

Ummm....I don't think so.