Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by summonbaka Quote
leaving them sitting makes them rust and can even grow fungus if not properly taken care of.
I found this out through personal experience. Last year I acquired a trio of Preset Takumars that appeared to be in pristine condition, only to discover upon receiving them that they had internal rust, which I subsequently corrected with CLAs.
They must have been sitting around unused for quite some time to have developed this malady.

05-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #47
Veteran Member

At the moment:

05-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
raymeedc I have mint duplicates of a handful of my more expensive, harder to find primes (Takumar M42 20mm, 85mm, 100mm Macro, 50mm 1:1 Preset Macro, 24mm) because it gives me peace of mind when out shooting with one of these that if something happened to them, I have another copy at home.
QuoteQuote:
stevebrot I have several "fast 50s" and like them all. I do have to admit to owning a duplicate though and actually going out of my way to get it. I have two XR Rikenon 50/2. One came on a XR-2s body and the other was purchased for a XR7 body to make it "type appropriate". The two Rikenons are good lenses (very sharp), but I still prefer the Pentax-M 50/1.7 that is normally mated to the XR7.
Dear raymeedc and stevebrot. I started the thread because I'm beginning to do just what both of you did. I worry only because: the unquenchable thirst to get the first copy is already LBA. So the chase for a second, third.......... copies. Just what is this

What do you think, raymeedc and stevebrot? Is this something worse than LBA

QuoteQuote:
summonbaka Of the copies you have, do you ever rotate them? It was said earlier, leaving them sitting makes them rust and can even grow fungus if not properly taken care of.

So, do you shoot with your second/third copies of a lens?

I've always thought that gathering and "over collecting" a lens not only makes it rarer in the wild (making the prices go up, mostly what a collector/reseller wants but not necesarilly good for everyone else), but also cuts the possibility of someone else using and trying one specific lens (yes, I'm bitter I can't get my hands in a normal range preset lens).
Today 01:09 AM
Personally, I have exact duplicates of some favourites

When I had my first set, I did the necessary rotation. But as the number grows, it's becoming difficult to manage. I believe, it's also made worse due to my wish to keep the second as prestine a set as possible :ugh:

Now that I learn from you this 'rust' isssue, I wish it'll help 'cure' me

QuoteQuote:
dadipentak "Do you own multiple copies of the same lens?"

Ummm....I don't think so.
Congratulations, dadipentak. You try your best to keep it this way ok

QuoteQuote:
zxaar At the moment:
Nice catch, zxaar. I really want one of these

But having 2 does make it feel better

Wait a minute! I thought I just mentioned the 'rust' isssue
05-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #49
Site Supporter

I have no exact lens duplicates, just FL duplicates.

The closest I have are the K100/4 Macro & the K100/4 Bellows. They are however completely different lenses in functionality.

Phil.

05-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just12hvFun Quote
Dear raymeedc and stevebrot. I started the thread because I'm beginning to do just what both of you did. I worry only because: the unquenchable thirst to get the first copy is already LBA. So the chase for a second, third.......... copies. Just what is this

Apparently some form of insecurity, I suppose. I comfort myself with the obvious fact that there are certainly much worse mental problems I could have in it's place.
05-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I worry only because: the unquenchable thirst to get the first copy is already LBA. So the chase for a second, third.......... copies. Just what is this

It is LBAADD. (Attention Deficit Disorder).
05-15-2010, 12:42 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I own 160 different 50mm lenses, some of them are quite rare*. All from different makers, made for 35mm format. ranging in aperture ranges of f/4.5 to f/1.0
Oh my god man you are hooked!
05-15-2010, 01:13 AM   #53

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
At the moment:

The copy on the left seems to be suffering a lot. Send it to me and i'll make sure to put it out of it's misery.

05-15-2010, 03:20 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
gofour3 I have no exact lens duplicates, just FL duplicates.

The closest I have are the K100/4 Macro & the K100/4 Bellows. They are however completely different lenses in functionality.

Phil.
Dear Phil:

You really are free of duplication. Congratulations

Allow me to ask: Is it because you really do put in effort to prevent duplication or ............................ :ugh:

Before you commit to acquring a new lens, do you really question yourself as to whether you have need for it? I thank you for your kind sharing

QuoteQuote:
I comfort myself with the obvious fact that there are certainly much worse mental problems I could have in it's place.
I love this, raymeedc. Indeed, there are so many other problems that are worse than this. I feel so relief

My wife aren't really happy with this hobby of mine. My fault really, not much time left for her and my daughter! Everytime she makes noise about it, I always tell her it could be worse if I'm not into photography

QuoteQuote:
It is LBAADD. (Attention Deficit Disorder).
Now, that's what I'm most afraid of, SpecialK

Is it really so bad

QuoteQuote:
Oh my god man you are hooked!
But most of s really are hooked too, ilya80

QuoteQuote:
The copy on the left seems to be suffering a lot. Send it to me and i'll make sure to put it out of it's misery.
Today 03:42 PM
Dear summonbaka:

It's not just you alone who can help deliver it out of its misery

Most of us here are capable of that too. Ha............
05-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #55
Veteran Member

That was my first ever lense that i bought under pentax lense so dear to me.
Though i once thought of gifting it to friend because now i two but in the end could not part with it. Any other lense would have been gifted by now.

i hardly use it though and if you were near me, i could share it. No proby about it.
05-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just12hvFun Quote
Dear Phil:

You really are free of duplication. Congratulations

Allow me to ask: Is it because you really do put in effort to prevent duplication or ............................ :ugh:

Before you commit to acquring a new lens, do you really question yourself as to whether you have need for it? I thank you for your kind sharing
Hi Just12hvFun:

A couple years back I decided to get a few new lenses, I had no plan I just went with the FL I thought I could use the most.

I already had three K series lenses from way back and ended up liking them the best of the new ones I picked up. I resold the Ms & As I had just purchased and went on a K series LBA binge. I now had a LBA plan, if thats possible!!!! Before not too long I managed to get most of the K series primes, so I just looked for the missing ones to complete my set.

I searched for the best copy of each individual lens I could find, so hence no duplications. Even with FL duplications in the K series lenses, they are different enough in speed/design to make them all unique. (Example the K200/2.5 and the K200/4)

My LBA project is complete, so Im free to just play with my lens collection now and enjoy life!!

Phil.

PS I also have a mild case of K series film CBA, but Im almost finished with that as well.
05-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #57
Pentaxian

I own 6 copies of Mamiya Sekor 55mm f1.4 and 5 copies of the 50mm f2 version. I don't know why but I can't refrain myself from buying them. They are dirt cheap for their quality. I love them all by the way.
05-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
That was my first ever lense that i bought under pentax lense so dear to me.
Though i once thought of gifting it to friend because now i two but in the end could not part with it. Any other lense would have been gifted by now.

i hardly use it though and if you were near me, i could share it. No proby about it.
It's simple then, part with the other one.

Being less serious, I've been to kobe twice. I've got a friend there and when I go again I'll pm you if possible.

Right now I'm eyeing yet another 135mm. I hate my love for presets.

Last edited by summonbaka; 05-16-2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added just some more
05-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #59
Veteran Member

It's simple then, part with the other one.

Being less serious, I've been to kobe twice. I've got a friend there and when I go again I'll pm you if possible.

Right now I'm eyeing yet another 135mm. I hate my love for presets.
no problem, when you are in kobe drop me email. I also had two copies of 135mm F2.5 but other copy i gifted to childhood friend.

my email is simple :zxaar@yahoo.com , arjun.yadav@yahoo.com)
(i may not check pentax forums).
05-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #60
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I own 6 copies of Mamiya Sekor 55mm f1.4 and 5 copies of the 50mm f2 version. I don't know why but I can't refrain myself from buying them. They are dirt cheap for their quality. I love them all by the way.
They're not so dirt cheap THESE days.

I really want one of those 55 1.4s, because that's what I had in 1974 on my Mamiya Sekor 1000 DTL. I was 17 at the time.

They're going for the same money as the Taks, which means around $100 and up.