Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
now that is what I call LBA
Or a serious collector!

05-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a very nice lens kit for use at home and in safe surroundings. I also frequently travel to places where you are very likely to get mugged (like Bogotá and Johannesburg). But I wouldn't want to go to those places with crappy lenses, so I got some priceworthy zooms for travelling, like the F 70–210mm. Found it to be too nice a lens to be without, so I bought a second copy just in case I do get mugged.

Kjell
05-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Use it on a GF1. Or, you can give it to me so that I can use it on a GF1 :-D

the flange on earlier c-mount lenses is even closer than micro 4/3rds 12mm for 35mm film.

"1.0?! I don't mean to hijack but could you tell me more about that lens? Is it the Leica Noctilux?"

yes it is the Noctilux, I also have the earlier f/1.2 version, which is a collectors item. the Noctilux is optically a decent lens, it isn't exactly the sharpest 50mm I own. But the images it produces due to it's bokeh have a characteristics unlike any other 50mm lens ever made. Made by leica, the Noctilux f/1.0 has been replaced by an f/0.95 version which I don't care for at all, due to the trivial difference in speed. And the newer Noctilux has lost some of the unique optical traits that made the original f/1.0 Noctilux such a beautiful lens had. I actually have two of these, my mother kept flogging mine so I bought one especially for her. she also occasionally pinches my Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 - my mum likes fast glass.
05-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I've got redundancy in FL coverage, but no duplicate lenses. Just off-hand, I'd say my most redundant FL is probably 300mm where I have 8 lenses that cover, including 3 300/2.8s. The only "lens" that I have backups for is the 1.7x AFA, I have 3 -- it just wouldn't do to be without at least one. . .

Scott

05-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

Not yet, but now that you reminded me..............
05-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
gokenin Originally posted by Digitalis
I own 160 different 50mm lenses, some of them are quite rare*.
:anyword: now that is what I call LBA
Dear Digitalis. For a moment, you eradicate most of the uneasiness we experienced over LBA

But gokenin, I love your reply. It makes me laugh my heart out

A big thank you to all of you who have visited and contributed in this thread. From what I gathered from your postings, duplication in FL is common and usually arises out of love for that FL. Exact duplication of copies tends to be avoided unless it's out of necessity

Now my next question: Don't you want to dispose some of these duplicates? With so many of them in your dry cabinet, I'm sure there are some you have not touched for years! What kind of difficulties do you experience if ever you have tried to do so before?

I did a last count, I now have 26 lenses and it'll be 29 by the end of this week. If you ask me about duplication of FL, it's everywhere. Since months ago, I have encouraged myself to try consolidate and dispose some of these. But I discover, I just couldn't do it! I chose one and almost instantly, I found a good reason to keep it. I really admire some of you who could. What's your secret? Please share with us
05-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have some pretty significant overlap, but no exact duplicates.

Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 vs. FA 50mm f/1.4
A 28mm f/2.8 vs. FA 28mm f/2.8

Lenses that occupied the same spot in the Pentax lens lineup but from different generations.

05-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great to hear from you, Steinback

But have you ever thought of disposing one of these 'duplicates'

If you have the intention, on what basis will you base your decision on :ugh:

Or, you don't mind the duplicate and will continue to acquire more

I have read through many postings within the forum and frequently, duplication of FL is quoted as a reason to dispose a lens.

I'm hoping to also understand if that really is the truth
05-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #24

I have an exact duplicate of the FA limiteds. A consequence of too much love and the MIJ-AIV transition. Yeah, only own the MIJ versions. But the second set is really kept for collector value and not used at all.
05-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your sharing scorpioh

Do you consider this LBA?

Like your kind self, I'm getting collector's copy for my favourites

It's an endless journey
05-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
I have an exact duplicate of the FA limiteds. A consequence of too much love and the MIJ-AIV transition. Yeah, only own the MIJ versions. But the second set is really kept for collector value and not used at all.
Rust roest or a direct tranlation: rest rusts.

All those mechanical parts are supposed to move at occasion or they might get stuck together.
05-13-2010, 02:12 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Just12hvFun Quote
Thanks for your sharing scorpioh

Do you consider this LBA?

Like your kind self, I'm getting collector's copy for my favourites

It's an endless journey
Yeah, I consider myself to be a victim of LBA. But I really can't help it. The desire is just too strong and the fact that the value of the lenses is retained or may even appreciate though I have no intention of selling them. And hey, we're both in Singapore!
05-13-2010, 02:12 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Rust roest or a direct tranlation: rest rusts.

All those mechanical parts are supposed to move at occasion or they might get stuck together.
Probably I should fondle them move often. Ha.
05-13-2010, 02:14 AM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Just12hvFun Quote
I must admit, for lenses I really love, I am always tempted to own a second and
usually 'better' condition copy

I wonder if any one else does the same

Perhaps you own a second or third copy........ for some good reasons :ugh:

Can you please share them with us

Is this LBA or is it worse than LBA
To answer your original question- if needed, yes! Most, if not all of the lenses I have multiple copies of are out of production, and thus hard to find.

On a site note, my collection includes every Pentax 50mm except the K50/1.2. LBA confirmed! Now, to get that 1.2...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-13-2010, 02:29 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I have some pretty significant overlap, but no exact duplicates.

Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 vs. FA 50mm f/1.4
A 28mm f/2.8 vs. FA 28mm f/2.8

Lenses that occupied the same spot in the Pentax lens lineup but from different generations.
I acquired recentyl a takumar 35/3.5 for the same reasons. The M 35/2 is nice but having to change between film and digital for focal lengths is really unconfortable. But then again, this will add a third body sometimes. Well, not really.

I have three different takumar 55/1.8 including the one with the flipped aperture ring. But all of them have had fungus. The normal and preset takumar 200 and 135 also can be Focal length "duplicates".