Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your answers. I actually got those lenses recently, and you're right I should play with them for a couple of months and then decide if it is for me.

I haven't really look at the k-x compared to the k20d. I guess I'm gonna go to the pentax camera forum to know the difference and stuff, but it looks like a pretty nice lens.

Thanks for the idea of going to dc and trying the lenses for my self, I'll do that tomorrow.

05-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sell it later if you decide to do so. owning that type of lens is a good investment now these days in pentax. 'what a price increase they have done!!!
05-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #18

Try street photography w/ the 21mm, u like end up liking it a lot
05-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by dsauna Quote
My lenses are pentax 21mm* 40mm* sigma 10-20mm pentax 18-250mm and pentax m 50mm 2.0

I was wondering since I already have a 10-20mm and my 18-250, do you think I should just get rid of my 21mm limited and buy something else? Let me know your thoughts please.
da 21 limited is a very good lens. I won't sell it unless pentax releases a full frame DSLR!

05-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
The high barrel distortions on this lens is major turn off for me. Vignetting is also high until you stop down to f5.6. I would sell it and go for either DA 15mm, FA 31mm or DA 40mm.
05-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Personally, I'd sell the Stigma zoom and keep the 21.
The level of distortion and vignetting on the 21 is nothing to be concerned about, as both are fully correctable during raw conversion.
If one shoots mostly landscapes, odds are the ~2% barrel distortion will go unnoticed and really, I have never seen vignetting from the 21, I suppose I shoot stopped down a little bit most of the time.
Of course, at 4/100 of a stop at worst, it's probably not likely to be very noticable anyway.
Interestingly, the 15LTD has only slightly less barrel distortion and absolutely atrocious vignetting, at ~1.5% and fully 1/3 stop.
05-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The level of distortion and vignetting on the 21 is nothing to be concerned about, as both are fully correctable during raw conversion.
If one shoots mostly landscapes, odds are the ~2% barrel distortion will go unnoticed and really, I have never seen vignetting from the 21, I suppose I shoot stopped down a little bit most of the time.
Of course, at 4/100 of a stop at worst, it's probably not likely to be very noticable anyway.
Interestingly, the 15LTD has only slightly less barrel distortion and absolutely atrocious vignetting, at ~1.5% and fully 1/3 stop.
Agreed. The only time I've really noticed vignetting on my DA21 was when I used it to shoot on film.
05-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Agreed. The only time I've really noticed vignetting on my DA21 was when I used it to shoot on film.
Why do you have to limit yourself to just landscape. If so then you would go for the DA 15mm which is more suitable for landscape and in addition you can use it to shoot people without having to worry about noticeable distortions. Seriously the 21mm has 80% more distortion then the 15mm. Why does it make sense to choose it over the DA 15mm, FA 31mm or DA 40mm??

Last edited by Alex00; 05-17-2010 at 06:12 PM.
05-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #24
JHD
Veteran Member

Give up the 10~20 for 21 prime? Not a chance! Every little mm at the bottom is like 100mm at the top.
05-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #25

Having the choice to go for a lens that offers comparable sharpness with less distortion makes more sense. Distortions is not always easily correctable with post processing. Easier said then done specially when you have too many shots to correct.
05-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Give up the 10~20 for 21 prime? Not a chance! Every little mm at the bottom is like 100mm at the top.
I'm with you here--I like primes from 24 to 90, but zooms at the ends. Once you get that wide, every mm means you have to run a block to get the composition right!
05-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
Why do you have to limit yourself to just landscape. If so then you would go for the DA 15mm which is more suitable for landscape and in addition you can use it to shoot people without having to worry about noticeable distortions. Seriously the 21mm has 80% more distortion then the 15mm. Why does it make sense to choose it over the DA 15mm, FA 31mm or DA 40mm??
Well, no. The 15 is more suitable to scenes that want a wider angle of view than what a 21 (for example) will give.
Either one is equally suited to "landscapes", it really depends on the landscape.
Interestingly, most of my "landscapes" are shot with lenses in the normal to short tele range.

You have nothing, what's with the 80% hoolah? You are talking about 1.5% to 2%. One has slightly worse dog breath, neither one is a big deal.
OTOH, the 15 has far worse vignetting, almost 1/3 stop worse.

Having the choice to go for a lens that offers comparable sharpness with less distortion makes more sense. Distortions is not always easily correctable with post processing. Easier said then done specially when you have too many shots to correct.
Distortion is 100% correctable in post, and can be done with an action as part of a batch process.
A prime lens will always show the same distortion in every picture it is used for.
This, of course, presumes that 2% barrel distortion is even noticeable, which in most instances it isn't.

Just to be clear, I don't have a horse in this race. I have both lenses mentioned, and use the 15 when it is called for and the 21 when it is called for. The 0.5% of extra distortion of the 21 bothers me far less than the 1/3 stop of extra vignetting of the 15.

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
You already have the 21 prime. I'd give up the Stigma for a 15.
But, I happen to think Stigma lenses are junk and I don't like zooms very much either, so a Stigma zoom isn't going to be a lens I'd recommend to anyone.
05-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I don't limit myself to landscape, and I use both lenses. Have you actually used this lens, or are you just reading something?

I actually seem to use the DA15 more indoors lately, but that is just the nature of what I have been shooting.
05-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #29

Well, no. The 15 is more suitable to scenes that want a wider angle of view than what a 21 (for example) will give.
Either one is equally suited to "landscapes", it really depends on the landscape.
Interestingly, most of my "landscapes" are shot with lenses in the normal to short tele range.

You have nothing, what's with the 80% hoolah? You are talking about 1.5% to 2%. One has slightly worse dog breath, neither one is a big deal.
OTOH, the 15 has far worse vignetting, almost 1/3 stop worse.

Distortion is 100% correctable in post, and can be done with an action as part of a batch process.
A prime lens will always show the same distortion in every picture it is used for.
This, of course, presumes that 2% barrel distortion is even noticeable, which in most instances it isn't.

Just to be clear, I don't have a horse in this race. I have both lenses mentioned, and use the 15 when it is called for and the 21 when it is called for. The 0.5% of extra distortion of the 21 bothers me far less than the 1/3 stop of extra vignetting of the 15.

You already have the 21 prime. I'd give up the Stigma for a 15.
But, I happen to think Stigma lenses are junk and I don't like zooms very much either, so a Stigma zoom isn't going to be a lens I'd recommend to anyone.
I think you're missing the point, If we are comparing 21mm to 15mm then in the my personal opinion going for the 15mm makes more sense. There is nothing you can do better with the 21mm. The 15mm is sharper lens with less distortion according to photozone. You an always take few steps forward with the 15mm to get a 21mm view. you can also crop a 15mm image to to get a 21mm view. In addition you get less distortion with 15mm.

As for vignetting, it's no issue as we always tend to use f 5.6 or higher with wide angle lenses. Even at f4 vignetting barely shows and is easily correctable.

Distortion on the other hand can be difficult to correct depending on the perspective and angle of the photo taken. It's not 100% correctable.

Last edited by Alex00; 05-18-2010 at 12:20 AM.
05-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #30
Voe
Veteran Member

I don't think cropping from a photo taken with 15mm lens and blowing it up to get the 21mm field of view is of much use for landscape especially when you want to print large. I think you are severely underestimating the DA 21mm.
Closed Thread