Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I just got one 24/f2 made by Kiron and I can confirm that at f2 it's really soft. Must be stopped down to f2.8 to see reasonable sharpness. I can't complain much for what I paid though, roughly under $50 at a local store
Eessh I shelled out just about $200 for the vivitar version. :ugh:

08-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Eessh I shelled out just about $200 for the vivitar version. :ugh:
The guy who sold me is a Nikonian and somehow he has that lens and didn't know what to do with it To him $50 is a pretty high price for a "crappy" Vivitar 24/f2 for Pentax and I kind of make him think that way too :P
08-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
The guy who sold me is a Nikonian and somehow he has that lens and didn't know what to do with it To him $50 is a pretty high price for a "crappy" Vivitar 24/f2 for Pentax and I kind of make him think that way too :P
honestly, I'm not really impressed with the Vivitar 24/2 either. the f2 aperture speed seems lucrative if you are going to look at it on the spec sheet. a fella was selling a copy for $40 about a year ago and for that price, it was still expensive especially it's not that really promising until you really stop further down way below. for me, it should even cost about $20 max.
08-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
honestly, I'm not really impressed with the Vivitar 24/2 either. the f2 aperture speed seems lucrative if you are going to look at it on the spec sheet. a fella was selling a copy for $40 about a year ago and for that price, it was still expensive especially it's not that really promising until you really stop further down way below. for me, it should even cost about $20 max.
That's more than a bit harsh. I have compared the 28mm versions and the best are decidedly better than the Pentax A 28mm. My 24mm works just fine at f/4 and f/2.8 in a pinch. Sorry, I do not know the apertures here, but they are in order of increasing aperture. The last is likely f/2.8.

street corner, Limerick

(Shot with the Vivitar 24mm f/2 [Komine made].)

Dead Plants II

Schweppes in the bathroom

To me that is worth a lot more than $20. Maybe even $200 if I was a big street shooter (and it was KA mount). The MF feel is nice and build sturdy. Again, nicer than Pentax, for which people pay more than $20.

08-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
That's more than a bit harsh. I have compared the 28mm versions and the best are decidedly better than the Pentax A 28mm. My 24mm works just fine at f/4 and f/2.8 in a pinch. Sorry, I do not know the apertures here, but they are in order of increasing aperture. The last is likely f/2.8.

street corner, Limerick

Dead Plants II

Schweppes in the bathroom

To me that is worth a lot more than $20. Maybe even $200 if I was a big street shooter (and it was KA mount). The MF feel is nice and build sturdy. Again, nicer than Pentax, for which people pay more than $20.
I agree with Robin. While at f2 it's very soft, at f2.4 it is pretty usable then f2.8+ it is beautiful. I would not hesitate to grab more at $20 even at $50
08-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I picked one up a Viv 24/2 (Komine) and I agree mostly with the consensus above. Very soft at f/2- dreamy, almost other-wordly, to make up a word. Reminds me of my 50mm f/1.2; you have to want a glow in order to use it at f/2. Also gives something of an old fashioned look, especially indoors. But then, stop down a little and the sharpness is astonishing. I will give anyone $22 for an extra copy.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
08-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Great pics, Robin!

I think the Kiron/Vivtar 24/2 is quite sharp and suffers less of the apparent softness at f2 (not to say there isn't though) than the komine variant but only has a minimum focusing distance of 0.3m. Flare is an issue for the kiron haha
08-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Fine photos above!

The Vivitar 24/2 Kiron version was one of my early prime purchases, US$110 with shipping. Alas, the iris was and is stuck open. Alas, the seller disappeared as soon as I complained. I occasionally shoot it and while the edges are soft, the center is satisfactorily sharp. I fear no flare, for I have extra 55mm lens hoods, nya-ha-haa! It's not a regular carry-with-me lens because a 24/2.8 that actually stops down is a bit more useful, eh?

Also alas, the Vivitar-Kiron rear elements may be separating. Does anyone have one with a junked FRONT end, that they'd sell cheap, so I can get this repaired? (Repair guy says such a donor is needed, that spare rear elements are scarce.)

For some reason, I'm unlucky in this focal neighborhood. My Lentar-Cimko 25/3.5 also has a stuck-open iris. But it only cost me US$8, not worth fixing, and it's decently sharp wide-open. Maybe I should start a STUCK WIDE OPEN CLUB here, eh? I can include shots from an Enna Lithagon 35/2.8, and a Pentacon Electric 50/1.8, and some 'auto' M42 that only stop-down on an M42 body, etc. Show off your casualties!

Last edited by RioRico; 08-18-2010 at 10:40 PM.
08-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The Vivitar 24/2 Kiron version was one of my early prime purchases, US$110 with shipping. Alas, the iris was and is stuck open....
I've read of loads of stories of the Kiron-made Viv 28mm f2 suffering from stuck aperture, and it's usually due to oil on the iris.

It certainly would put me off buying either the 28mm or 24mm, because, even if the lens is OK when you buy it, there'll be a good chance that it will happen sooner or later.
08-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't ever heard of this affecting the 24mm lenses, but they are more rare so maybe there's just more noise about the 28s. I once went to see a Kiron 28/2, and the aperture was totally frozen. "That's easy to fix" called the guy as I drove away. Of course, he was also looking for his screwdriver to switch the mount over from FD to K... so his credibility wasn't real high.
08-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #41
Site Supporter

It might not always be easy but oily aperture blades can be cleaned, I've done it a few times on different lenses with success. Of course the oil might return if you don't clean and relube the focus helicoid (from where the oil usually comes after the old grease breaks down)

Last edited by ovim; 08-28-2010 at 08:10 AM.
08-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
I've read of loads of stories of the Kiron-made Viv 28mm f2 suffering from stuck aperture, and it's usually due to oil on the iris.
In my case the aperture ring twists freely, no detents, no action. No oil is visible. Repair guy says it's slipped its bearings, no big problem... but with the rear elements separating, it isn't worth fixing without a glass transplant. Repair guy also says that donor lenses don't show up that often. Bother.