Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #1

Adaptall 2/Tamron instructions

I have two Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses, an 03A and a 103A 80-210mm zooms, one of which came with instructions which allowed me to be able to properly mount it with my Adaptall-2 PKA adapter on my ME Super or K10D. I also searched this forum and found the same instructions. Those instructions refer to a meter coupling lever that must be moved around until it locks in a slot, but my PKA adapter has two such levers. I think I have it installed correctly as the lens works fine with the ME Super and the K10D.

I recently acquired a Tamron 01F 2x tele converter without instructions. I monkeyed around with coupling it with a lens but I am not exactly sure how to do it properly, what with extra levers and such and two sets of aperture settings, and I certainly don't want to damage anything.

I sent an email to the people who run the Adaptall-2 web site requesting the availability of proper instructions for the teleconverter and the adapter. I have no idea if anyone monitors that site or if I will receive a reply.

Does anyone know of another source for a copy of the instructions for either the tele converter of the adapter? I just want to make sure I mount them properly so they will work as they should. Then it will be up to me to learn how to utilize them properly...and therein could lie the rub...

Thanks.

05-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There should be a green dot to help with allignment

with the bayonet part alligned properly the aperture levers should be obvious
05-12-2010, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tamron Adapters

QuoteOriginally posted by NRV Shooter Quote
I have no idea if anyone monitors that site or if I will receive a reply.
I haven't seen activity there for about two years now and had no response to an offer of lens data.

QuoteQuote:
Does anyone know of another source for a copy of the instructions for either the tele converter of the adapter?
I can send you a scanned PDF file. PM me with e-mail address.

But basically:

1. Important - always set lens to minimum f-stop, e.g., 2.8 when connecting or disconnecting.

2. Align green dots.

3. Align the two adapter 'ears' with notches in the lens.

4. Seat adapter /converter and twist clockwise to lock.

5. Set AE mode at f32 as appropriate (use small black tab on adapter to latch)

If you don't see an f-stop reported in the camera, unlatch the lens and gently twist it about 1/2 a degree and watch for indication. Sometimes the pins don't quite register in the fully latched mode with some lens/body pairings.

H2
05-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks pacerr, email on the way to you.

I knew about the green dots and thought I knew about the other stuff, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I am sure it will be harder for me to figure out how best to utilize it than to just install it!

Thanks again.

06-10-2010, 06:30 AM   #5

Thanks for tip on the contacts lining up

I just received a Adaptall-2 PKA adapter for my K20D and it was registering (F---). I searched and found the tip here on turning the adapter back 1/2 degree from the fully locked position. Now I can fully use my small collection of Adaptall-2 lenses!

BTW I paid $112.93 (w/ S&H to Alaska) for the adapter and 28mm f2.5 (02B). Came with front & back lens covers and Adaptall-2 case. The bidding kept going up but I really had to get it since I didn't seem them come around often enough.

Hint: I recently obtained a Tamron Adaptall-2 80-210 f3.8 w/ Canon FD adapter (& Canon FD 50mm f1.8) for $25.20 (w/ S&H to Alaska). Apparently, the bidding was light because of the low demand for FD lenses.

At my local thrift store I also found another Adaptall-2 lens with a Minolta MD mount. Anybody need a Minolta MD mount? I can also include a very nice X-700 with it.
06-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jon4paz Quote
I just received a Adaptall-2 PKA adapter for my K20D and it was registering (F---). I searched and found the tip here on turning the adapter back 1/2 degree from the fully locked position. Now I can fully use my small collection of Adaptall-2 lenses!

BTW I paid $112.93 (w/ S&H to Alaska) for the adapter and 28mm f2.5 (02B). Came with front & back lens covers and Adaptall-2 case. The bidding kept going up but I really had to get it since I didn't seem them come around often enough.

Hint: I recently obtained a Tamron Adaptall-2 80-210 f3.8 w/ Canon FD adapter (& Canon FD 50mm f1.8) for $25.20 (w/ S&H to Alaska). Apparently, the bidding was light because of the low demand for FD lenses.

At my local thrift store I also found another Adaptall-2 lens with a Minolta MD mount. Anybody need a Minolta MD mount? I can also include a very nice X-700 with it.
I bought a 28mmF2.5 with Nikon AI adaptor for $8.99 at the local thrift store (sorry if it seems very low for the lens, but I already had a vivitar F2.5 which is an excellent lens so i would not have paid a lot for it) and a KA adaptor for $20, however the adaptor was damaged. Looked like someone tried to force it off a lens or the lens and camera were dropped with this adaptor. The KA adaptor, due to the contacts is not the most robust design mechanically. Typically I see adaptors in the toronto area for 40-60 depending on K or KA. My adaptor did not make all the contacts and left the lens at F4 until I repaired it.
06-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
I've looked at the P-KA adaptors on Ebay before, but the price never felt worth it to me. It's a pain to switch the adaptors around anyway, so I just have one of the regular P-K adaptors for each of my Adaptall-2 lenses and treat them like old K mount lenses. They work; I like both of my Adaptall lenses.

06-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jon4paz Quote
...BTW I paid $112.93 (w/ S&H to Alaska) for the adapter and 28mm f2.5 (02B). Came with front & back lens covers and Adaptall-2 case. The bidding kept going up but I really had to get it since I didn't seem them come around often enough...
That doesn't sound like too bad a deal if the 28/2.5 (02B) is in decent shape. The caps and case are a double bonus. It is a pretty good lens and was fairly expensive back in the day. I paid $79.95 mail order in 1982 plus an additional $16.95 for the PK adapter. For comparison, I think a Vivitar 28mm went for about $35 at the time and the Pentax-M 28/2.8 was about $45.

Steve
06-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That doesn't sound like too bad a deal if the 28/2.5 (02B) is in decent shape. The caps and case are a double bonus. It is a pretty good lens and was fairly expensive back in the day. I paid $79.95 mail order in 1982 plus an additional $16.95 for the PK adapter. For comparison, I think a Vivitar 28mm went for about $35 at the time and the Pentax-M 28/2.8 was about $45.
Interesting. Why was it so much more expensive? I don't see many shots from that lens these days, although I see it from time to time on ebay.
06-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Interesting. Why was it so much more expensive? I don't see many shots from that lens these days, although I see it from time to time on ebay.
The added expense was paid for the adaptor, which often goes for nearly a hundred dollars on its own, rather than for the lens.
06-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
The added expense was paid for the adaptor, which often goes for nearly a hundred dollars on its own, rather than for the lens.
No, the adapter was 16.95 and was not included in the price:

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I paid $79.95 mail order in 1982 plus an additional $16.95 for the PK adapter. For comparison, I think a Vivitar 28mm went for about $35 at the time and the Pentax-M 28/2.8 was about $45.
06-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #12

No, the adapter was 16.95 and was not included in the price:
Sorry, I thought you were asking about why Jon4paz paid as much as he did (the message that Steve was replying to). That was because of the P-KA adapter.

The reason that it was more expensive back in 1982 than the other two lenses mentioned was because they were considered budget lenses (Pentax also made a 28 f2.0, and Vivitar a 28 f1.9 Series 1 lens), while the Tamron Adaptall was supposed to be a higher quality lens. I know the Tamron wasn't much faster than the other two; I don't even know if it was really better optically than they were; but it was at least marketed as a higher quality lens, and I believe it was pretty good. The site I would normally visit to confirm this, however, is down.

Has anyone else noticed that? The Adaptall 2 site (www.adaptall-2.com) is down because the domain expired two weeks ago. I'd hate to see that site disappear altogether. It had a lot of good information about Adaptall lenses.
06-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
Banned

The reason that it was more expensive back in 1982 than the other two lenses mentioned was because they were considered budget lenses (Pentax also made a 28 f2.0, and Vivitar a 28 f1.9 Series 1 lens), while the Tamron Adaptall was supposed to be a higher quality lens. I know the Tamron wasn't much faster than the other two; I don't even know if it was really better optically than they were; but it was at least marketed as a higher quality lens, and I believe it was pretty good. The site I would normally visit to confirm this, however, is down.
Interesting - I didn't see many sample shots from the Tamron 28 - it comes up often on ebay but it seems to sell for less than the Vivitars.

Has anyone else noticed that? The Adaptall 2 site (www.adaptall-2.com) is down because the domain expired two weeks ago. I'd hate to see that site disappear altogether. It had a lot of good information about Adaptall lenses.
It's adaptall-2.org now. See this thread.
06-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #14

It's adaptall-2.org now. See this thread.
Thanks a lot for the info. That gets me to the information I was looking for. It appears that this wasn't supposed to be a Tamron SP lens, so I'm left wondering why it was that much more myself. It does say that it has above average performance, and that it is small and lightweight. However, that doesn't really explain the price difference. Perhaps at the time Tamron was putting a premium on the Adaptall feature? I really don't know, but there was no Adaptall SP 28mm lens, so this was the best you could get as an Adaptall.
07-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #15

QuoteQuote:
I can send you a scanned PDF file. PM me with e-mail address.
Could I be cheeky and request a PDF copy as well please?

QuoteQuote:
5. Set AE mode at f32 as appropriate (use small black tab on adapter to latch)

Being a newbie, what does AE mode do and why is this necessary?