Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #1

Lens Adapter Help... I'm So Confused!

I deleted this post because I no longer wish to be a member of the PentaxForums.

Last edited by LadyRo; 07-01-2010 at 10:43 AM.
05-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

First off you don't need an adapter to use any K-mount lens on your K10D. Not all lens will have full automatic functionality, but you can use them all in manual mode to some extent. If you want to use the screwmount, M-42 lens you need a M42 to K Mount adapter. Most people seem to think the Pentax adapter is the best. You can find similar ones on EBay and they might be okay. Avoid ones that don't fit all the way inside the mount ring like the Pentax adapter because they usually don't allow focusing to infinity. I would not worry about other kinds of adapters unless there are specific lens you want to use. There are plenty of options in the K mount and M42 universes.

Here is a chart for Pentax lens compatibility. Not sure if it's easy to read, but it is comprehensive.
05-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As tybeck says, all K mount lenses will fit without adapter, that is one of Pentax major strength's, backward compatibility like no one else. M42 leses will fit with a very simple adapter. Make sure you get the original one or one of the 3rd party adapters that allow infinity focus. Those who make m42 adapters for other mounts, like Nikon F, where it is impossible to mount a m42 lens with infinity focus, fill ebay with m42-K mount adapters built in the same way that dissable infinity focus.

If you are interrested in mounting other lenses than K and m42 on your K mount Pentax, there are adapters for quite many other mounts: Canon FD/FL/FT, Nikon F, Topcon RE/Exacta, Leica R, Voigtländer/Kodak Retina DKL and several medium format lenses. I tried to make a complete list at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/96884-adapters-...addiction.html
05-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
I deleted this post because I no longer wish to be a member of the PentaxForums.

05-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
I got the K mount lenses figured out after doing a little more reading after making that first post (slaps forehead).

Thanks so much for the link to the list! Would you take a look at this adapter (closeup shots) and tell me if you think it'll work? It is third party, but the seller guarantees infinity focus.

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
As tybeck says, all K mount lenses will fit without adapter, that is one of Pentax major strength's, backward compatibility like no one else. M42 leses will fit with a very simple adapter. Make sure you get the original one or one of the 3rd party adapters that allow infinity focus. Those who make m42 adapters for other mounts, like Nikon F, where it is impossible to mount a m42 lens with infinity focus, fill ebay with m42-K mount adapters built in the same way that dissable infinity focus.

If you are interrested in mounting other lenses than K and m42 on your K mount Pentax, there are adapters for quite many other mounts: Canon FD/FL/FT, Nikon F, Topcon RE/Exacta, Leica R, Voigtländer/Kodak Retina DKL and several medium format lenses. I tried to make a complete list at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/96884-adapters-...addiction.html
05-13-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LadyRo Quote
I got the K mount lenses figured out after doing a little more reading after making that first post (slaps forehead).

Thanks so much for the link to the list! Would you take a look at this adapter (closeup shots) and tell me if you think it'll work? It is third party, but the seller guarantees infinity focus.
To me it looks like it will give infinity focus.
05-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is an article Ole and I have written that explains the features of every Pentax lens series: Pentax Lenses Explained

Hope this helps!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-13-2010, 01:13 AM   #8

Original Poster

05-13-2010, 01:13 AM   #9

Original Poster

05-13-2010, 01:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The genuine Pentax adaptor seems to have gone up in price recently. I paid (converted) around US$80 in the beginning of the year and I recently read about similar prices in the UK.

Although I only have the genuine adaptor, I've read some stories here on PF about the 3rd party adaptors that are NOT easy to remove from the body. That might not be a problem if you shoot M42 lenses exclusively (my adaptor lives permanently on my K10D). Do a search here (you have to remove some parts from the adaptor before using itor wait for someone to advise on that.
05-13-2010, 02:47 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
The genuine Pentax adaptor seems to have gone up in price recently. I paid (converted) around US$80 in the beginning of the year and I recently read about similar prices in the UK.

Although I only have the genuine adaptor, I've read some stories here on PF about the 3rd party adaptors that are NOT easy to remove from the body. That might not be a problem if you shoot M42 lenses exclusively (my adaptor lives permanently on my K10D). Do a search here (you have to remove some parts from the adaptor before using itor wait for someone to advise on that.
I bought a Bower from B&H that wouldn't even go IN.
05-13-2010, 03:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
There are couple of third party adapters which does not have spring and works exactly works K-mount lens. They do not get stuck to camera and can be removed easily like any lens. I wonder why Pentax did not chose the same approach for their adapters (than using spring). I am sure there must be a valid reason since this is a no-brainer idea. See link below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/74997-new-type...2-adaptor.html

Note that third party adapters I used does not allow infinity focusing. However, there is a UK company (probably an OEM for Pentax) makes m42 adapter & claimed to be as par with Pentax adapter quality. I never used them but there was a discussion here about them.

Last edited by yusuf; 05-13-2010 at 03:09 AM.
05-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
That is very very similar to the M42 adapter that I use. It works fine and will allow focus to infinity. Sometimes you have to use some gentle, persistent, persuasion with the included tool to get it out of the camera. There's a little trick to it. If you get that adapter take it in and out a few times before you head into the field. Many people say the genuine Pentax version is easier to take out.
05-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tybeck Quote
That is very very similar to the M42 adapter that I use. It works fine and will allow focus to infinity. Sometimes you have to use some gentle, persistent, persuasion with the included tool to get it out of the camera. There's a little trick to it. If you get that adapter take it in and out a few times before you head into the field. Many people say the genuine Pentax version is easier to take out.
I'm one of them. Pentax's recommended tool is a pen. I use a fingernail, myself. Be cautious with some of the third party adaptors. There have been mentions in these fora (forums?) that suggest that the thread machining is sloppy on some of them, and you end up with metal filings/dust. I've never had trouble with the Pentax original, and would never buy anything else. I was lucky enough to snag one for C$40. When I moved from screw mount (Original, first version Asahi Pentax) to K mount bayonet (MX) I used the Pentax adaptor as I gradually replaced screw mount lenses with K mount ones. It was in my bag for quite a few years until I met a fellow in Fort Steele who was having troubles. He had both K and M42 mount bodies, and the M42 body had stalled out for some reason. I sold him my adaptor for C$10 on the spot. Silly me.
05-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I bought a Bower from B&H that wouldn't even go IN.
You lucky bastard; else it would probably not have come out

On the other hand, you have soo much M42 glass that it probably does not matter if the adaptor lives permanently on the camera (as mine does).