Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Bear in mind that at almost any aperture the 77mm is sharper than the 70mm.
hey, sharp does not mean high ability of Image Resolving, actually among FA Limited only 43mm has a really high resolving capability.

I don't know much about DA 70, but as I have owned 3 copies of 77mm, I may say this lens isn't worth $700. If I were in SHANGHAI, I will prefer to get a brand new DA 70mm with $400.

I believe, if Pentax were to release FF, FA* 85mm should be put on manufacturing again.

05-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
hey, sharp does not mean high ability of Image Resolving, actually among FA Limited only 43mm has a really high resolving capability.

I don't know much about DA 70, but as I have owned 3 copies of 77mm, I may say this lens isn't worth $700. If I were in SHANGHAI, I will prefer to get a brand new DA 70mm with $400.

I believe, if Pentax were to release FF, FA* 85mm should be put on manufacturing again.
The FA 77mm ltd and DA 70mm ltd as tested on the K20d by Photozone. The FA does everything better at f1.8.

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/128-pentax-smc-fa-77mm-f18-limited-review--test-report?start=1
05-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

FA 77 certainly perform much better than DA 70mm, but whether it worth $700 more is another story. If I got money, I prefer FA* 85 or Takumar 135mm, or CZJ lens, so many choice, why 77mm?
05-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #19
Site Supporter

FA 77 certainly perform much better than DA 70mm, but whether it worth $700 more is another story. If I got money, I prefer FA* 85 or Takumar 135mm, or CZJ lens, so many choice, why 77mm?
Its not $700 dollars more. The difference for the OP was $240.

05-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Its not $700 dollars more. The difference for the OP was $240.
But it is still not a perfect lens, he got his own problem...And in China, the difference is actually $ 380 or more.
05-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #21
Site Supporter

But it is still not a perfect lens, he got his own problem...And in China, the difference is actually $ 380 or more.
The OP is in Arizona, not China. He never said he had a problem, just asked about the difference. In fact, he said he likes the 77.
05-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #22
Pentaxian

There is no such thing as a perfect lens, and what does China have to do with this thread?
05-16-2010, 05:00 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The FA 77mm ltd and DA 70mm ltd as tested on the K20d by Photozone. The FA does everything better at f1.8.

Pentax SMC-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited - Review / Test Report - Analysis
I have to admit these Photozone results did influence me when I was making a choice between the two lenses.

Here is Klaus' verdict on the two:

"The Pentax SMC DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited is an great lens with no really significant technical weakness. The resolution characteristic is generally excellent regardless of the (tested) aperture setting and the resolution distribution is much more harmonic compared to the SMC FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited although it sacrifices a tiny bit of peak performance. The vignetting is slightly more pronounced than desirable at f/2.4 but not really an issue beyond. Neither distortions nor CAs are field-relevant. You may be able to spot some traces of purple fringing. An interesting aspect of a large aperture tele lens is quality of the bokeh (the out-of-focus blur). Similar to its alcoholic counterpart it is a matter of taste to some degree - I'd say it is very good but not excellent. Here and there some of the out-of-focus halos seem to be a bit hard edged. The degree of background/foreground blur is also a bit limited by the comparatively small max. aperture (for a moderate tele lens). Typical for all Pentax Limited lenses the build quality is excellent and it is a joy to use such a high quality lens in the field. The price (around 500€/US$) is quite fair in relation to what you get here. Now is it a "better" lens than the FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited ? I'd be hard pressed to provided a real guidance here. Technically the DA 70mm is a bit better (more even resolution, less purple fringing) whereas the FA 77mm has a slight edge regarding the bokeh due to its larger max. aperture. Fortunately the choice is yours and not mine ... :-)"

The tests seem to indicate both are fine lenses with the DA 70/2.4 being "technically a bit better." Wheatfield noted above it is pretty much a wash when it comes to comparison. Klaus seems to agree in his conclusion noting "Fortunately the choice is yours and not mine..." We are lucky to have this sort of choice. The fact the DA 70/2.4 was quite a bit cheaper was the deciding factor in my case.The extra stop or so of speed wasn't that important to me so I bought the DA 70.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 05-16-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo
05-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Something to consider...

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I have to admit these Photozone results did influence me when I was making a choice between the two lenses.

Here is Klaus' verdict...
Keep in mind that Klaus' "test" results were generated using a K10D. If you are using a K10D, then you should expect similar outcomes. When paired to a K20D, K7, or Kx, your experience may differ, significantly.

...my 2 cents...
05-16-2010, 07:03 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Keep in mind that Klaus' "test" results were generated using a K10D. If you are using a K10D, then you should expect similar outcomes. When paired to a K20D, K7, or Kx, your experience may differ, significantly.

...my 2 cents...
Good point Michael.

I do use the K10 so these results may have more validity for me than others. I would be interested to see a similar test with the K20 and K7.

Tom G
05-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote

...my 2 cents...
That may be true. However, the reason that they use the K10d is because that's what the earlier tests on the lenses in the data base were done on. It would be very time consuming to go back and redo them on every new body that came out. Perhaps that should do all newer tests on the K10d and the current body keeping the K10d as a sort of bench mark.

All that said, I use my FA 77mm ltd on my K20d, K200d, and MZ-3 and haven't had any kind of Ghost jump and go "boo" at me. Granted, I haven't done an MTF with them. Maybe I'll rent the DA 70 sometime and do some tests.

Edit: I think the tests are also valid for the K200d since it has a similar ccd sensor.
05-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
while the specs are slightly better on the 77 resolution wise every single blind image test i did i preferred the 70mm version. So i saved the money

I dont regret the 70mm at all. If they were the same price it would be so much harder to decide.
05-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #28

Another vote for 70mm

You're going to get varied opinions asking a question like this but since the difference in price isn't significant, it really comes down to your call. For me personally, I took 70mm because of 1) price 2) size and 3) quality.

I guess you can say that there was nothing about the 77mm that motivated me to spend the extra $ for it. But do get what you really want, so you can spend less time thinking about the other choice and just enjoy using it.

Shawn
05-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Price was a factor in my choice too. I think got lucky on the price of the DA70, managed to pick it up new (not open box) from a local store in Australia for $540 which is cheaper than importing, and unusual. Also it was approximately 1/2 of the local price of the FA77. (which is about $1050)
I checked back at the same store about something else this week and the price of the DA70 is now $150 higher! than what I paid (a 26% price increase!).
Pricing really is crazy down here. (Seems you have to go surfing on the waves at the currency exchange whenever the local distributor imports some stock)

If it was only $100 difference DA70 - FA77 then the choice would have been harder. If I didnt get a "special" on the 70, I would probably be reading this and trying to work out how to get the funds for either.

Now that I have the DA70, even though I havent had much time on my hands in the few weeks I've had it , I really think I will grow to love it. I think the length will suit me, and just looking with the few tests at home ( 3 year old son, nephews, or dog as subjects) it's brilliant even wide open.

Does the FA77 have magic pixie dust and DA70 not? I'll never know.
Currently the DA15 is mounted and so the DA70 is sitting next to my FA43 in the case maybe some will transfer across.

Last edited by steve1307; 05-18-2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: typo - mathematical error
05-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #30

Got my DA70 in just the other day, been having fun with it. Went on a brief photo walk with it down the Avenue yesterday. Pretty pleased with its performance so far. I don't have the FA77 to compare it to, and I've certainly seen some of the pixie dust that came out of the FA on another photo walk. But I will say this, the DA70 has some of that potential. I'll try to get some higher contrast photos later or that evening sunlight.

What strikes me about the focal length, is that to my eye, it's exactly a real life perspective on my K-7's APS-C sensor. I found it very natural to set up the foot zoom and set up photos. Here are some random portraits with it in harsh sunlight (used the shade):
1/160 @2.8
1/125 @ 2.4
1/125 @ 2.4