Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sigma 17-70mm?

I have some money to spend, and just bought a 55-300mm. It's not here yet, but I already searched up a potential lens might want (Yeah, I know ;/... I'M NOT AN ADDICT!). Sigma 17-70mm no HSM... or wait a bit longer to get... HSM 17-70 or SDM 17-70.

I'm not really looking for wider angle, but how much of an improvement would it be to get this in place of my kit lens (DA L 18-55)? I know the range is much more flexible, but how about in terms of IQ and stuff?

(I could always save up the money for other more expensive lenses or maybe a tripod if I ever need one.)

Thanks for reading! Hope for some suggestions or insight!

05-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
I have some money to spend, and just bought a 55-300mm. It's not here yet, but I already searched up a potential lens might want (Yeah, I know ;/... I'M NOT AN ADDICT!). Sigma 17-70mm no HSM... or wait a bit longer to get... HSM 17-70 or SDM 17-70.

I'm not really looking for wider angle, but how much of an improvement would it be to get this in place of my kit lens (DA L 18-55)? I know the range is much more flexible, but how about in terms of IQ and stuff?

(I could always save up the money for other more expensive lenses or maybe a tripod if I ever need one.)

Thanks for reading! Hope for some suggestions or insight!
Any of the lenses you are contemplating will be noticeably better than the kit lens under the majority of conditions.
05-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you looked at the Tamron f2.8 constant aperture zooms?
05-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Have you looked at the Tamron f2.8 constant aperture zooms?
Yeah, definitely, but what I need more is also range towards the Tele end. That's why I didn't consider the Tamrons.

05-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're young with an incredible income potential. Plus, no wife yet to put the brake on things.

Get into primes, and start collecting now.
05-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You're young with an incredible income potential. Plus, no wife yet to put the brake on things.

Get into primes, and start collecting now.
Well... I got a gf if that counts! I got other hobbies too! Umm... Primes... are expensive and I'm not much of a collecting type of person ;D! though.. I HAVE been looking at the... DA* 200 and some 50s and even the 40 limiteds, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I have now (or so I think...).

My one love, 6 guitars, Pentax stuff, good food EVERYDAY, and living in a "rich" country. What more could I want? While it is no Utopia, I like what I get and have ! (I haven't entered the real world yet though...)

ALSO... YOU LIKE YOUR PRIMES VERY MUCH DON'T YOU?

Last edited by NecroticSoldier; 05-13-2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Adding...
05-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Yeah, definitely, but what I need more is also range towards the Tele end. That's why I didn't consider the Tamrons.
Tamron makes an excellent 28-75 f2.8

05-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Tamron makes an excellent 28-75 f2.8
Oh yeah! I think I should look into that!

Ehhh... I like the fast aperture, but it also sacrifices a lot of the wide angle range (I'd like to have at least 18mm) The extra tele end range is nice too.

Yeah, the aperture might not be as fast on the 17-70s but I do like the range a lot.

Last edited by NecroticSoldier; 05-13-2010 at 07:10 PM.
05-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #9

I have a sigma 17-70 and love it. The difference from the kit lens is HUGE in terms of range, flexibility and it has macro... I don't miss the HSM... the only limitation is the shift in f stop as you zoom; this is especially troublesome in low light... but otherwise this is a GREAT lens; very sharp. The other difference between this and the kit lens is the weight... it's heavy... but once you try it you'll never use the kit lens again.
05-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Oh yeah! I think I should look into that!

Ehhh... I like the fast aperture, but it also sacrifices a lot of the wide angle range (I'd like to have at least 18mm) The extra tele end range is nice too.

Yeah, the aperture might not be as fast on the 17-70s but I do like the range a lot.
I mis-interpreted your post above about needing more range into the tele end (compared to the kit lens) (and still wanting the wide end...).

So, yeah, a 17-70. I would go with a Tamron as the SDM-complaint threads are numerous...
05-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #11

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
I have the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 on my K20D, its way better than the kit lens and the aperture range is much better, so is the focal range. The new version may be of more interest to you though, f2.8-4.0 aperture range with better glass, HSM and OS,(not that the OS is needed, but it can be used instead of the SR).
The weight of the Sigma shouldn't be a problem, yeah heavier than the kit lens but its only a bit over 500 grams so its not to heavy.
05-14-2010, 04:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I started a tread to show difference between the Kit lense 18-55 and the Sigma 17-70 but also the Tamrom 10-24

Just go here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/100845-compara...vs17-70-a.html

Honestly not a major difference between the two. in coverage at the 18 or 17mm. If you need coverage look at the Tamron 10-24
05-14-2010, 05:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I have the Sigma 17-70 (first version) and the WR kit. the kit is better than I expected, but it is NOT on par with the Sigma. The latter has much better contrast, colours, it's a faster lens, it's sharper, in short everything is better.

I love having the small, light WR kit lens, it's perfect for hiking, rainy days, etc. But the Siggy is my go-to lens most of the time.
05-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rlocurcio Quote
I have a sigma 17-70 and love it. The difference from the kit lens is HUGE in terms of range, flexibility and it has macro... I don't miss the HSM... the only limitation is the shift in f stop as you zoom; this is especially troublesome in low light... but otherwise this is a GREAT lens; very sharp. The other difference between this and the kit lens is the weight... it's heavy... but once you try it you'll never use the kit lens again.
Keep in mind the Pentax 17-70 is fixed at f/4, not f/2.8 - so the existing Sig 17-70 is only slightly slower (f/4.5) and the new one performs the same, while giving you the option of going faster at the wide end.

If you don't want to shift exposure as you zoom, simply go into Av mode and set aperture to 4.5 or slower.
05-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ozzi-paul Quote
I have the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 on my K20D, its way better than the kit lens and the aperture range is much better, so is the focal range. The new version may be of more interest to you though, f2.8-4.0 aperture range with better glass, HSM and OS,(not that the OS is needed, but it can be used instead of the SR).
The weight of the Sigma shouldn't be a problem, yeah heavier than the kit lens but its only a bit over 500 grams so its not to heavy.
Yeah, I read about it and... it's about $100 more expensive, but HSM has gotta be good + the faster tele end aperture + rounded aperture blades. The minimum focus range is longer though. I believe... the older one is 1:2.3 while this one is 1:2.7. To a newbie like me though, it does not make much difference. Is rounded aperture better bokeh as it says?

@Bob those are just 3 pictures ;/ it's kinda hard to judge... with just that. But from what you have, it seems like all three lenses are EXACTLY the same, but maybe a bit darker on the green in differences.

I have also read about Sigma and QC issues ;/ should I worry about it?