Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can We Put ND Filter on DA 10-17mm Lens?

since it doesnt have filter thread, i wonder if people want to use an ND Filter or Grad ND on them? is there anyway or trick that i dont know? i want some advice for this, i just borrowed this lens from a friend for a shooting trip, to where i might be need as wide lens as i can get .

the second question is there any substitution - cheap alternative for the lens cap? i am afraid im too careless and leaving that lens cap somewhere during the trip.. i am suspecting this metal lens cap must be pricey..

05-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

My 10-17 FE is the only lens that I have that doesn't have a B+W UV or clear filter. I think it's impossible.

I have thought about ordering an extra 10-17 FE lens cap , as I share with you that it would be very expensive to order the replacement, but with that big curved glass what else can one do.
05-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote

since it doesnt have filter thread, i wonder if people want to use an ND Filter or Grad ND on them? is there anyway or trick that i dont know? i want some advice for this, i just borrowed this lens from a friend for a shooting trip, to where i might be need as wide lens as i can get .

the second question is there any substitution - cheap alternative for the lens cap? i am afraid im too careless and leaving that lens cap somewhere during the trip.. i am suspecting this metal lens cap must be pricey..
Get a cap-keeper. You will have to be careful that it doesn't get in the field of view of that lens, but you won't lose it. You should be able to use a Cokin filter without the holder at the longer lens settings, but nothing can help you at 10mm. Honest. You will still have problems with the transition area. I suggest that the solution is not the ND filter, but rather to take two exposures, one for highlight and the other for shadow, and run it through post processing to map both. I have Photomatix, and Highlight/Shadow is about the only thing I use it for. HDR always looks too fake for me.
05-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
canada rockies and lesmore

thank you. that would be explain everything.

i might need still bring my DA 16-45 with me i think.. for certain type shooting.

05-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter

No way would I use a dangling cap on a string, especially on the fisheye. It's hard enough keeping my elbows and feet out of the shot.

Put the cap in your pocket or bag - every time :-)