Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #1

Akuma lens?

No this isn't a typo, I've run across a lens labelled Super-Multi-Coated Akuma. It's attached to a Spotmatic of which the Asahi Pentax is wearing off. obviously a duo thats been through a lot. So I'm thinking that it's a Takumar that the first and last letters have worn off on (or were marked off on for whatever reason). Just wondering if anyone else had ever ran across anything like this?

05-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by privateryan Quote
No this isn't a typo, I've run across a lens labelled Super-Multi-Coated Akuma. It's attached to a Spotmatic of which the Asahi Pentax is wearing off. obviously a duo thats been through a lot. So I'm thinking that it's a Takumar that the first and last letters have worn off on (or were marked off on for whatever reason). Just wondering if anyone else had ever ran across anything like this?
This has been discussed here before:

It could be a genuine Takumar that was illegally rebranded because of import/licensing restrictions to the country it was being sold/sent to.

I would do a search for Akuma, except I would get a million matches.
05-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah I did do a search for Akuma both here and on Google. Google yielded nothing, while here it pulled up quite a few links all leading to user SuperAkuma lol. Interesting thought though, Black market Taks, sounds intriguing...
05-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Yeah I did do a search for Akuma both here and on Google. Google yielded nothing, while here it pulled up quite a few links all leading to user SuperAkuma lol. Interesting thought though, Black market Taks, sounds intriguing...
The thread was here about a month ago, and I'm sketchy on the details.

I remember being surprised, because I thought it was obviously someone just trying to copy the name, but in fact, they were legitimate Taks rebranded for legal reasons.

Like, a Pentax reseller is Great Britain wasn't allowed to sell them in the U.S., but for customs purposes, altered the name so it wouldn't get flagged by Pentax,

05-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I recall a thread like that, and I think it was about the South African market.

This gives me a new perspective on the boarder SuperAkuma, though.
05-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #6

It's a lens of the Devil! :P

Sorry, had to do it.

Now, it seems interesting that there are rebranded lenses for one reason or another. Something like the Asahi Pentar ones.

(Akuma means demon in japanese)
05-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The lettering on a true S-M-C Takumar should not "rub off". The letters are engraved into the metal and would require a grinding tool of some sort to remove.

Steve

05-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have S-M-C 3.5/28 and S-M-C 2.8/105 with the engraved letters of the word "Asahi" on the name-ring filled with epoxy or epoxy-like very hard black material.
05-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The lettering on a true S-M-C Takumar should not "rub off". The letters are engraved into the metal and would require a grinding tool of some sort to remove.
Steve
Well that it just "rubbed off" was just supposition on my part. I was just making a hypothesis on what i thought might have happened. I actually said this in my original post.
So I'm thinking that it's a Takumar that the first and last letters have worn off on (or were marked off on for whatever reason).
Interesting info about the lettering being engraved though...