Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Old Question, New guy asking, What lens for the K-7 to start?

OK, so I'm sure you all have addressed this question many times but here it is again. I just bought a K-7 body. I did not buy the kit lens, the 18-55. I can only afford one lens for now and want to get as versatile a lens as possible. Help? Is the 18-200 from Tamron a good choice?

05-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the club!

If you want to go with that sort of range, you might be better off with either a Pentax or Tamron branded 18-250. Some say they are one and the same. I believe that both are out of production but can be found used, reasonably priced. That said, personally, I'm not a fan of superzooms like this. Something always suffers in terms of IQ and it's usually the spot -I- want to use.

The real answer though would be to decide what you want to do, and select the best lenses for that. Without knowing what your preference is or your budget, the Pentax 17-70 looks to be a nice all around option over the typical kit lens (there's a brand new one for sale in the marketplace now).

05-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Good Info

I'm going to be shooting mostly landscape but some closeup as well, flowers, etc.
05-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 17-70 has a close-focusing capability. Not a true macro, though, and not very telephoto, but for landscapes, flowers and general walking around it would be handy..

05-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It really depends on your budget. I'm not sure you'll be able to find that "single lens" wide angle/telephoto/macro work. I can't speak for the 17-70 or 18-250, but I skipped the kit lens and picked up a DA16-45 when I bought a k10d years ago, based on what I had read from other owners. I was very happy with the lens. You could spend your money on a good general/landscape lens and pick up an inexpensive manual lens with some extention tubes for close up work?
05-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Starting off, I'd suggest keeping your kit lens (it's quite a decent lens) and just adding something like a DA 55-300. Sure, it's no macro lens, but it can certainly work wonders in some close-up situations, like here:

As mentioned above, there is no perfect 'all-rounder', but you can get close to being able to capture everything with two or three lenses. The 18-55 and 55-300 just about covers all the focal lengths at least a newbie would want.
05-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Go to the Tammy lens club here and look at every page, and take
note of the 28-75.

There are outstanding images there that also include macro, and although not a true 1:1 macro, you
would be amazed.

If I wasn't a Tak addict and wanted to start again with a zoom at the
most practical focal length plus quality, that would be the lens.