Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Extension Tubes on DA*300mm ?

There have been some good macro discussion threads here lately, and part of the issue is maximum magnification vs decent working distance.

I have the D-FA 100 WR which is a very nice lens, but was wondering how that lens would perform using extension tubes? But of course the DA lenses don't have aperture rings, so I'd have to spend a lot of time finding a set of tubes that supported TTL metering.

I've been using the DA*300 a lot lately, and its minimum focus distance is quite good for its focal length. But aside from that, it's image quality is outstanding!

So I wondered, if I can find a set of extension tubes that would work on the D-FA 100, why not try it on the DA*300??? Opinions? Has anyone tried this?

05-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The issue with super-tele like 300mm is that you will need a very long tube to be effective. That also means you will lose quite a bit of light in practice. Another option would be the high quality double element close up 500D filter by Canon. The con is that it works by decreasing the effective focal length (but 300mm is plenty long to start with).
05-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see...thanks for the input; what is your opinion on using extension tubes on a lens that is already a dedicated macro, such as the D-FA 100? Or are extension tubes best relegated to use on non-macro, "normal" lenses such as the FA 50, etc.?
05-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I seldom do macro but from what I know, one way to achieve extreme magnification is to reverse mount a wide angle in front of the tele. You can also add the A2X-S converter which do not impact the shoot distance. An even higher magnification can be achieved by adding another extension tube. Focus will be achieved by moving the whole combo instead if turning the focus ring.

05-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK. Well before I went out and spent a bunch of money on a proper set of extension tubes, I thought I'd better find out if it would even work or if I'd just be wasting my money. Guess I'd better look for a good tutorial on macro-photography. Thanks!
05-15-2010, 02:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
There have been some good macro discussion threads here lately, and part of the issue is maximum magnification vs decent working distance.

I have the D-FA 100 WR which is a very nice lens, but was wondering how that lens would perform using extension tubes? But of course the DA lenses don't have aperture rings, so I'd have to spend a lot of time finding a set of tubes that supported TTL metering.

I've been using the DA*300 a lot lately, and its minimum focus distance is quite good for its focal length. But aside from that, it's image quality is outstanding!

So I wondered, if I can find a set of extension tubes that would work on the D-FA 100, why not try it on the DA*300??? Opinions? Has anyone tried this?
Some of these were shot with the DFA 100/2.8 macro and an extension tube and appeared to get me to 2:1 macro:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/60715-dfa-100m...airy-legs.html

through the viewfinder: FUN WITH DFA 100mm macro AND A TUBE - GREATER THAN 1:1 MACRO - OR A LADY WITH HAIRY LEGS
05-15-2010, 03:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I see...thanks for the input; what is your opinion on using extension tubes on a lens that is already a dedicated macro, such as the D-FA 100? Or are extension tubes best relegated to use on non-macro, "normal" lenses such as the FA 50, etc.?
FWIW, I've used extension tubes on almost every lens I own. From a Sigma 135-400 to my 40mm Limited, to my 18-55 kit lens, and my 100mm Vivitar macro lens, as Douglas said to increase the magnification even further.

As was said - you'd need a lot of extension to make a difference on the 300mm lens.

I've posted this one before, but here's a shot with my 40mm with extension tubes attached:
"salt"

here is the 40 with all the extension tubes:

05-15-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried a full set of A contact tubes on my F* 300mm f4.5.

05-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for those extra comments guys! Douglas that is interesting about the TC. I do have a Tamron 1.4 TC but i'd rather not disassemble it, it does prove useful at times!

However, I am acquiring an inexpensive 2x TC that is auto-aperture; if I removed the elements as a makeshift extension tube, I don't know how I could use it with the D-FA 100 which has no aperture ring, but I do have some other lenses to try it on. (Khardur those results are encouraging- I'd sure like to find a set of Kenkos like you have though!)
05-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

However, I am acquiring an inexpensive 2x TC that is auto-aperture; if I removed the elements as a makeshift extension tube, I don't know how I could use it with the D-FA 100 which has no aperture ring,...
What do you mean by "auto-aperture"? It you mean the TC (with or without glass) has electrical contacts to support pK-A lenses, you can use it with the D-FA 100 or any lens that does not have aperture ring. The camera body can control the aperture. I have several "extension tubes" from cheapo pK-A TCs like this one:

05-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"Auto-Aperture" ?

Hey SOldbear,
Maybe my terminology is incorrect... I mean the type of TC with no electrical contacts, but there is a linkage so that if you set the aperture ring on the lens, you can still meter normally, without having to do stop-down metering. Of course that type wouldn't work on my D-FA 100...

That Vivitar TC you have there looks perfect! I just haven't been able to find anything like that. As I mentioned, I do have the Tamron 1.4 TC which features the same electrical contacts, but at this point its value precludes my disassembling it just to use as an extension tube.