Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2007, 10:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So....to get this thread back on track.

No mirror lenses for me thanks. It's like I'm asking how to ride my new bike, and you're suggesting I go buy a car It's a solution to a completely different problem.

The real question is how people hike and shoot with 400, 500, and 600mm telephoto lenses. I'm going to try it out handheld to start, and I'll post some pics as soon as I shoot 'em.

07-31-2007, 11:59 AM   #17
roy
Inactive Account

D.B,
you will never handhold this lens without some kind of support. you're talking 20'' long and 7+pounds and 5'' dia. it aint going to happen......
this is not a lens you pick up to go shoot. using this lens is a plan for the day. you get all the neccessary eguipment ready and loaded before you pack the lens. i have gotten a couple of good images using a monopod but it's hard to do, even with a proper stance w/the mono.
do i have people that will argue this post???
otherwise, this is a FINE!!!!! lens..... you'll be blown away from image captures from 100 yards out.

benjikan you're out of your league here............lol
07-31-2007, 07:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks roy, that's the kind of straightforward answer I need. So to be more specific, I will try the lens without buying a tripod or monopod...will brace on tree branches, rocks, backpack, car or something using the foam idea just to do my first round of lens tests...make sure my copy is nice and sharp.

I love "lens outing" days, I did them all the time with my 300/4...but it was never quite long enough
07-31-2007, 07:24 PM   #19
Inactive Account

You know what, I am not here to argue with anyone.

I have however, hand held a Canon 500mm f4.5L that weights 3000g with no problems. It is done often.

I have no clue why you folks seem to think this cannot be done. I did this without the use of that shoulder mount. The photos from it were tack sharp (the lens was a friends. It was the reason why I got the Bigma, good reach and better price). Point is, it is even easier with a shoulder mount to hand hold it. People shoot heavy riffles all the time with steadiness that allows them to fire with great accuracy. Some of those rifles weigh more then these 500mm primes.

But anyways, I digress. As mentioned before, take it out in the field and you will then know what you need to do, what will be the most comfortable for you, and what will work the best for you in the end.

07-31-2007, 08:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
You know what, I am not here to argue with anyone.

I have however, hand held a Canon 500mm f4.5L that weights 3000g with no problems. It is done often.

<snip>

But anyways, I digress. As mentioned before, take it out in the field and you will then know what you need to do, what will be the most comfortable for you, and what will work the best for you in the end.
No no Chako, I really appreciate the help! I would have never thought up the shoulder brace idea. As you said, the ability to attach a sling / shoulder strap would help with hiking. My only frame of reference for something like this, as I said, is my 17# professional video camera which was shoulder mounted.

But you're exactly right...I'll get the lens in my hands and give it a try before I make a decision. I imagine it pays to have multiple support options anyway for different situations, and if I can afford it, I'll probably end up trying each of the shoulder/mono/tri supports.

Still curious what Mo and Pitor use for their shots...
08-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #21
roy
Inactive Account

Chako????
that 500mm canon you shot with. was it perhaps a lens with IS ?
08-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #22
roy
Inactive Account

D B
did you just win one of these lenses on ebay. one sold for 288usd + a wood tripod. what a deal!!!
here is a link to a site you need to have.
HERE
also, this is a totally manual lens it does not actuate the aperture when you shoot. you'll shoot in Av mode.
also again, if this is screw mount you can change it to a K mount. pentaxUSA has them. i just replaced mine. it cost me about 130usd delivered.
i'd be more than happy to assist you with this if i can. finacially.. vat, import duty, whatever. if you call them tell lynn hello for me..

08-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Roy, the lens did not have IS.
08-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
D B
did you just win one of these lenses on ebay. one sold for 288usd + a wood tripod. what a deal!!!
here is a link to a site you need to have.
HERE
also, this is a totally manual lens it does not actuate the aperture when you shoot. you'll shoot in Av mode.
also again, if this is screw mount you can change it to a K mount. pentaxUSA has them. i just replaced mine. it cost me about 130usd delivered.
i'd be more than happy to assist you with this if i can. finacially.. vat, import duty, whatever. if you call them tell lynn hello for me..
Nah Roy, I'm in Canada and he was out of the US only. Even if he did ship outside the US, the cost of shipping / importing that beast would have been annoying.

My auction is here

I paid more, but it was in Canada, still a very good price, and is (as far as I can tell) the m42 version with an adapter, which is what I'm looking for. That way when I want to get a new body, I'm not limited to Pentax...it's the philosophy of my lens lineup, which is all M42 SMC Takumars. I love AV and stop down is only slightly annoying. Still it's great to know there's the rear half of the lens out there for K mount! And thanks, I really appreciate the offer of support!
08-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #25
roy
Inactive Account

and a very price when compared to the $5000++++ of C & N
granted, it's got it's faults(if that's how you see them) but for 1/10th the cost.
eventually you will need a tripod to use this lens at it's maximum performance.
this lens makes the Bigma look like a toy, size wise. no offense meant about the Bigma, it's a fine lens..
08-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

D B

Whenever I'm interested in buying something through eBay, that the seller says he/she will ship to thje U.S. only, I have them ship it to the UPS Store in Watertown. They charge $5.00 as a handling fee.

You can be there and back in 2 hours (25 miles from the 1000 Islands Bridge). You pay NO DUTY, just GST and PST if you declare the item.

Mind you, don't go on a weekend (during the summer) or your wait in lines at the Bridge will drive you crazy!
08-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #27
roy
Inactive Account

tips and tricks,
one thing i do occasionally when i'm shooting on a tripod is i forget to use the VF cap. if you don't block the light from entering the VF you will end up with underexposed images.
08-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Whenever I'm interested in buying something through eBay, that the seller says he/she will ship to thje U.S. only, I have them ship it to the UPS Store in Watertown. They charge $5.00 as a handling fee.

You can be there and back in 2 hours (25 miles from the 1000 Islands Bridge). You pay NO DUTY, just GST and PST if you declare the item.

Mind you, don't go on a weekend (during the summer) or your wait in lines at the Bridge will drive you crazy!
Wow that's great! I once did this with the post office and USPS in Cape Vincent, but it was a one-off favour. Great to know that shipping to the UPS store is an option...as long as seller's don't mind. It's certainly not too bad a trip from Kingston...
08-03-2007, 04:35 AM   #29
Inactive Account

If you do your research, there are places like this all along the border. We have a business called Weirs Warehouse up here in Sault Ste Marie Michigan that will take deliveries for you if you’re from the Canadian side. It is quite convenient.
08-04-2007, 08:17 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I got my lens last night and had a change to fire off some test images. WOW, this thing is HUGE. None of the photos I've seen do it justice, even on my 22" monitor

To to settle the debate: hand holding the lens is POSSIBLE in the most desperate of situations, or when IQ just isn't a priority. Shake reduction works like a charm with this thing though, and is not to be underestimated. The reason this lens can't be hand on a regular bases held is simple: The focus ring is too far back to be a point of support for the lens, so when you are supporting with your left hand just in front of the tripod mount, you're holding the camera with your right hand so you can see in the viewfinder. You must then take your right hand off the camera (putting all th weight on your left) focus with that hand while trying to maintain vision in the viewfinder, then move the right hand back to the camera to steady and shoot. Admittedly this problem would be somewhat rectified with a shoulder mount...it might be possible with that.

Anyway...I will be using this lens a LOT, whatever support I end up with.

On to the sample images. Don't bother pixel peeping, they're not that sharp, but if I were stuck without a support and some rare bird jumps into frame, it can be captured and displayed very successfully at web sizes or small prints, I have no doubt. These shots were late in the evening with the light fading, so shutter speeds were lot, iso was 200+ and aperture was wide open or one stop down. Caveat: I have fully processed and sharpened these images, so this isn't some resolution test, nor does it show what the lens is capable of.

1/500, ISO200, ~f5.6, braced on my knee. Focus point is on the dude.

1/125, ISO400, f4.5, again braced on my knee

1/200, ISO200, handheld. Not too sharp, added noise, lots of processing

1/250, ISO400, handheld. Nice portrait lens!

Last edited by d.bradley; 08-04-2007 at 08:35 AM.