Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #31
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Wow! That must have really been one of the first ones! I wonder why Pentax chose to reset the counter for this lens...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2010, 05:09 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the DA 40 is popular due to its cost (it has been neck and neck with the FA 50 as the cheapest prime recently) and small size. If you come to Pentax, it is for the primes and this is one that stands out as different. Along with the other DA limiteds, it is a reason that I couldn't leave Pentax...
05-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I remember just over a year ago seeing it advertised for $214.
If so, that was either during a time when there was a temporary rebate in effect (I got mine for about that price that way), or perhaps it was one of those crooklyn scam dealers who advertise low prices but never actually sell for that price. The regular price on B&H, Adorama, and other legit dealers was never better than about $270, FWIW.

QuoteQuote:
Which 50mm do you mean? The FA 50mm 1.4 has slightly better magnification (.15 vs .13X). I'm a bit frustrated with the inability to focus on a single blossom, but adding a Raynox 250 fixes it.
I'm surprised to find that even the Raynox 150 gives pretty decent magnification with this lens, and it seems to allow for more range of magnification (greater difference between min and max working distance) than other primes. I had mostly been using my DA70 with the 150 for florals, but think the 40 might be more useful except with really small flowers.
05-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tangus Quote
DA 15 limited is becoming more and more popular, too. Many pentaxians are in urgent need of compact-size wide angle.

Yes, the 15 mm is super! When I am out with it for landscape shooting, it reminds me my old days with my M3 and the Super Angulon 21 mm on it (there was no 24 mm yet). The Limiteds are close to the Leica M lenses, in appearance, shape and almost in IQ too...

05-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wasn't particularly chasing a DA 40mm but when one came up for sale locally, second-hand and relatively inexpensive I grabbed it. I can't possibly imagine parting with it now. Its size makes it a perfect combo with the K-x. It's sensational for when I'm going somewhere and wouldn't normally take any gear - now I just take the K-x & DA 40mm everywhere.

As for the DA 15mm, I haven't had a chance to try this lens. I have the DA 14mm and while it is much bigger, I normally know when I'll want to be able to go ultra wide angle and don't mind its size (as I'll normally be carrying a bit of gear in those situations). No doubt the size of the DA15mm would be useful in many situations but I'd prefer to stick with the DA 14mm (that's just my personal preference) and couldn't possibly justify having both.
05-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Yes, the 15 mm is super! When I am out with it for landscape shooting, it reminds me my old days with my M3 and the Super Angulon 21 mm on it (there was no 24 mm yet). The Limiteds are close to the Leica M lenses, in appearance, shape and almost in IQ too...
It looks so elegant, too! I'll be reviewing my complimentary B&H copy next week

I agree that the Pancake is great for those days where you really just want to convert your DSLR into a point-and-shoot camera!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If so, that was either during a time when there was a temporary rebate in effect (I got mine for about that price that way), or perhaps it was one of those crooklyn scam dealers who advertise low prices but never actually sell for that price. The regular price on B&H, Adorama, and other legit dealers was never better than about $270, FWIW.
The price was at Prodigital2000, just before the Pentax price boosts. At the time the FA 50 was $199 and the FA 35 was $299 at B&H & Adorama. I thought long and hard about the 40 and even put it in my shopping cart, but ended up not buying. It appears I wasted a bit of scratch because I bought one after all. It was partly your fault. It was that conversation we had about owning Pentax and not owning a pancake.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm surprised to find that even the Raynox 150 gives pretty decent magnification with this lens, and it seems to allow for more range of magnification (greater difference between min and max working distance) than other primes. I had mostly been using my DA70 with the 150 for florals, but think the 40 might be more useful except with really small flowers.
I haven't tried the 150 because I keep it in the Raynox adapter for use on my long zooms. I do like the extra magnification available with the 250 for shorter primes.

Last edited by audiobomber; 05-19-2010 at 01:26 PM.
05-19-2010, 04:12 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
+1.

My travel kit is now DA 15 + DA 40 + Voigtländer 90. Three lenses that are small, light and offer superb image quality with good close focus ability. 40mm wasn't a focal length that I thought I would like on APS-C, but it turned out to be very effective when paired with the DA15. And I think a shorter focal length would have made the lens more bulky and not as good IQ wise.

Cheers!

Abbazz
05-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #39
Veteran Member

For anyone who's curious about the Raynox 250 on this lens, here are some photos of a tulip,

DA 40mm Ltd, Raynox 250, at infinity focus distance:

DA 40mm Ltd, Raynox 250, at minimum focus distance:

The Raynox lens is mounted in a 49-43 mm adapter. The DA 40mm lens hood was attached to the front of the Raynox for these photos.

Here's the DA 40 on its own at minimum focus:

Last edited by audiobomber; 05-19-2010 at 03:58 PM.
05-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
40mm wasn't a focal length that I thought I would like on APS-C, but it turned out to be very effective when paired with the DA15. And I think a shorter focal length would have made the lens more bulky and not as good IQ wise.
Well, the DA35 limited is quite a bit more bulky, but it's no slouch in IQ!

All this talk about the DA40 makes me wonder what the popularity was like for it's progenitor, the Pentax-M 40mm "original pancake." (No hit counter stats for that one back in the day, but it must've been quite an eye-catcher!)

Personally, I consider the DA70 to be a "pancake," and it's just about perfect on APS-C for me: a very nice, reasonably fast "portrait lens" that doesn't intimidate the subject. The image results are simply stunning, as well.
05-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
All this talk about the DA40 makes me wonder what the popularity was like for it's progenitor, the Pentax-M 40mm "original pancake." (No hit counter stats for that one back in the day, but it must've been quite an eye-catcher!)
An eye catcher, but from anything I've heard, not nearly as capable as the DA Ltd. (e.g. rated 6.3 vs 8.2 in the Pentax Forums database).

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Personally, I consider the DA70 to be a "pancake,"
I read a definition somewhere that a pancake is 1" thick or less. I think the DA 70 is just close enough to squeeze in. The amazing thing about the DA 40 is that it remains a pancake, even with the hood attached.

Last edited by audiobomber; 05-19-2010 at 03:44 PM.
05-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #42
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is the DA 40mm pancake truly the most popular DA lens? The numbers in the lens review database sure indicate so! Or, could its novelty just be attracting more viewers than buyers? I'm not sure on this one- but at a recent event, I struck up a 20 minute conversation with a random Canon user just because he saw the little lens on my camera

Its reviews have been read 41,305 times- that's several thousand more than those of the DA* 50-135mm, which I think is next in line.
I only have DA 40 and I really love it. Especially for IQ and CA control.
05-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
An eye catcher, but from anything I've heard, not nearly as capable as the DA Ltd. (e.g. rated 6.3 vs 8.2 in the Pentax Forums database).

I read a definition somewhere that a pancake is 1" thick or less. I think the DA 70 is just close enough to squeeze in. The amazing thing about the DA 40 is that it remains a pancake, even with the hood attached.
Pentax Imaging touts the DA 21mm as a pancake as well.
05-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Great lens. Compact 'fit in a pocket size', razor sharp, super build , inexpensive.

Last edited by ivoire; 12-30-2010 at 06:56 AM.
05-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Pentax Imaging touts the DA 21mm as a pancake as well.
Both the 21mm and 70mm are specified as 1" deep on the Pentax site, so both fit the classic definition.