Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #1

Not impressed with wide angle lens

Just spent $1325.00 on a wide angle lens and I'm not impressed. What am I doing wrong!

I took a photo standing in the same spot with my normal lens and the wide angle lens. With the wide angle lens I got an extra window blind in. Not much difference at all. And when I do take photos I get an awful shadow at the bottom of most of my photos.

Anyone else find the same?

05-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like you used build-in flash with wide angle.
05-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Which wide lens are you talking about and Which lens are you comparing it to??
05-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hmmmm...I love my WA lens..
it is my fave lens in my collection. I have a Sigma10-20. For me, wide angle works when I have a some kind of foreground interest (say a rock or a flower etc.) and a wide, large background interest. That way, the viewer first sees the foreground object and then the eye wanders all around the background.

Here's a link: I hope it helps...
How to Use Ultra-Wide Lenses

05-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
Which wide lens are you talking about and Which lens are you comparing it to??
Ditto.
05-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
does it work on full frame?
05-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by molko Quote
Just spent $1325.00 on a wide angle lens and I'm not impressed. What am I doing wrong!

I took a photo standing in the same spot with my normal lens and the wide angle lens. With the wide angle lens I got an extra window blind in. Not much difference at all. And when I do take photos I get an awful shadow at the bottom of most of my photos.

1) You aren't telling us what you are doing.
2) You aren't telling us what lens you spent such a princely sum on.
3) You aren't giving up any visual clues regarding the results you are getting.

Beyond that, I can't say for sure what you are doing wrong.

05-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Frankly, I'd say buying expensive things without knowing what they do or how they should be used...:-)

But, you came to the right place.

You'll need to provide the lens info, though, and photos would help.
05-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK the extra width does not seem like alot when you are in a room, bit go out and see what it means in field of view when you are 100 feet back
05-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm going to move this to the off-brand section unless we learn more details so we can try helping

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well nearly 6 hours into the OP, there are more questions to the OPoster than answers. I am curious myself as to what kind of wide angle lens we are talking about in the first place.
05-16-2010, 03:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Maybe its one of those DA15 ltd ULTRA.
05-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could very well be that the OP actually tried to use flash. On my DA16-45mm that almost always results in the effect described.

One of the first things I learned the hard way: take off the lens hood when using flash as well as avoiding the widest setting and zooming in slightly.

From the price I'd either say the OP has bought some old, very bulky but extremely nice SMC or SMC-A lens or he's been had.
05-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I find it the same on any lens that is longer and wider especially when used with the built-in flash. reason behind it, the size of the lens blocks off the portion of the light where it is supposed to illuminate. use an external flash or bounce flash inorder to avoid shadows or dark areas.

UW lenses are not meant for close up ultra-wide shots. I'm not saying it can't do close-ups but they are in general used for close corner wide shots like hallways. and landscape, cityscape, architecture shots that are taken with a bit of a distance. as you shoot the object farther away or with distance, the effect of the UW lens extra wideness is maximized. that's how this lens works and used for.
shooting window blinds at a fixed distance does not give the lens justice nor the proper use that it needs. work your distance.
05-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Except that the built in flash would not throw a shadow on the Bottom of the photo.