Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another Pentax 1200mm f/8 SMCP-A ED (IF) up for sale!!!

Phil noticed another one on ebay....at the lowest price I have seen yet.....(again, I don't know anything about the seller)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/55946-300mm-pl...lenses-44.html

Here is the previous one (many comments below for this one)

I know nothing about the place listing it for sale and it doesn't say much about the shape etc...but I thought someone might be interested. I would presume whoever wants it would call before buying it to see what sort of shape it is in, return policy etc.....

http://www.cambridgeworld.com/detail.php?item_id=11237

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by SteveM; 06-15-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: update for second listing
05-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where is it listed? I don't see a link- or is my computer broken?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Fixed!...sorry...

I'm not sure how flexible they would be on the price....

Last edited by SteveM; 05-15-2010 at 10:15 PM.
05-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I wonder if they really have it? Back when I was out searching for the FA* 80-200, I remember seeing them list it, but was only to be disappointed when I called

That's a crazy price!

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wonder if they really have it? Back when I was out searching for the FA* 80-200, I remember seeing them list it, but was only to be disappointed when I called

That's a crazy price!
It is a little high. One site listed 1130000 (presumably Yen) as the current price for the 1200mm, which is about 12K US, but I know they go for less. I also noticed they use a drop down so you can choose how many of them you want to buy....a little suspect, but if someone wants one it might be worth a call. It is listed as being available "once in a lifetime" on the Dimitrov site. http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/primes/extreme-tele/A1200f8.html

I'm not sure if the 3200mm Pentax would be any cheaper.....and I can't tell if Pentax still sells it.... http://ca.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpentaxplus.jp...a&fr=yfp-t-715

Last edited by SteveM; 05-15-2010 at 10:36 PM.
05-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Interesting- so Pentax made a 3200mm telescope: Translation result for http://pentaxplus.jp/field/astro/002/002e/index.html

Why not sell it as a lens?

Adam

05-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting- so Pentax made a 3200mm telescope: Translation result for http://pentaxplus.jp/field/astro/002/002e/index.html

Pentax used to be one of the better brands of advanced telescopes, and I noticed in the pic they have a slr hanging off it. I tried to find some info from the links on the page, but only found (you gotta love translation sometimes);

"Concept

In order that common sense that is destroyed, the high performance about the astronomical telescope it is specialized in the observation object of specification"

Anyways, here is a pic of the A*1200

Last edited by SteveM; 05-15-2010 at 11:04 PM.
05-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I would avoid Cambridge World, I have heard lots of negative things about them as a seller.

Examples:

Cambridge World - cambridgeworld.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

Phil.

05-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I would avoid Cambridge World, I have heard lots of negative things about them as a seller.

Examples:

Cambridge World - cambridgeworld.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

Phil.
Yikes..that sucks....especially for a big ticket item. I just checked the site and I can't even tell if there is a store to stop by and check it out....
05-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I once had the misfortune of dealing with this so called store.
I will never(ever) deal with this company again.
Very dishonorable people.
05-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Yikes..that sucks....especially for a big ticket item. I just checked the site and I can't even tell if there is a store to stop by and check it out....
Yes not for that type of money, a couple hundred dollars maybe take a chance. It’s much better to buy from a seller like where you got your A1200 from.

Steve it looks like you are having fun with it, nice picture. I had to order a new tripod for my K1000/8 and its back in action now. I had it out yesterday up on Little Mountain, taking pictures of downtown Vancouver.

Don’t you love the comments you get from strangers!!!

Phil.
05-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes not for that type of money, a couple hundred dollars maybe take a chance. Itís much better to buy from a seller like where you got your A1200 from.

Steve it looks like you are having fun with it, nice picture. I had to order a new tripod for my K1000/8 and its back in action now. I had it out yesterday up on Little Mountain, taking pictures of downtown Vancouver.

Donít you love the comments you get from strangers!!!

Phil.
It does draw attention doesn't it......I've been asked if I would do someone's wedding (with a 1200mm?....), was asked what I am studying (?).

It's too bad I'm on the island....would be good to drag a few of you mainlanders out for a few pics.....
05-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
It does draw attention doesn't it......I've been asked if I would do someone's wedding (with a 1200mm?....), was asked what I am studying (?).

It's too bad I'm on the island....would be good to drag a few of you mainlanders out for a few pics.....
Well your A1200 would be better for portraits than my K1000/8 , I have a 30meter minimum focusing distance and would have to setup my tripod way up the street!

I mostly get the bazooka/rocket launcher comments, others just stare. Yes that would be fun to compare super telephotos and see the differences in design.

Phil.
05-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Pentax had a very good reputation for making high quality ED refractors for astrophotography. The scope in this link is probably one of the best known modells, the 125 SDP. But is has not a generic focal length of 3200mm, which would render the scope much too slow (f/26), just 800mm (f/6.4).

Focal length does not play ANY role for telecopes (well, at least a very secondary one), because you can increase magnification by use of different eyepieces and a 800mm focal length scope will give you the same 200x magnification, which you can reach with a 2000mm scope.

The strength of the Pentax refractors where there high photographic speed, combined with very good colour correction (the 100 SDUF at f/4 being the fastest example) for medium format film.

The drawbacks were there high prices (en par or beyond Takahashi) and the complete lack of any marketing. Even worse than the marketing for their cameras, believe me.

Three years ago (or so) they stopped the telescope business completely, but now produce lenses for the Borg Oasis scopes, which formerly used Fujinon lenses.

Ben
05-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
Lens Buying Addict

Examples:

Phil.
DEFINITELY A STAY-AWAY RETAILER!!! There have been numerous warning threads here and lots of other places around the web about these guys.

The State of New York has repeatedly sued them for such things as offering a camera (Body ONLY) at a great price, then calling the customer to offer to send the the battery for $100, or the cables for $50 or the manual for $75 or even the BOX for $100

Try to get your money back from your CC company - very hard to do.

They just shut down and re-open as a different entity with a slightly different name.