Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrpink Quote
Maybe I outta get a Canon body just to accommodate the mp-e65 lens. I didn't wanna do it because I much prefer the K20D to almost anything Canon, (maybe short of the 5DmkII).

I know there is no Canon glass to Pentax K adapter, but there is Canon to Leica and then Leica to Pentax (just an example).

Can one piggyback two adapters to adopt a lens to a body ???

Thanks!

Keep in mind that the mp-e doesn't infinity focus and it is manual focus as well. It also lacks the aperture ring. I looked into the conversion already and the lack of aperture ring was the show stopper.

05-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Still bummed about that :ugh:
05-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks Blue,

I don't need it to infinity-focus, and the lack of aperture ring is not a showstopper for me. I won't be shooting "to-spec", I'll be shooting to get satisfying images.
The in-camera TTL should also take care of light compensation I hope.
If I'm missing something (and I probably am being a total amateur), please shed some light on how the lack of ring would bring me limitations in working with the mp-e. Thanks everybody.
05-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Do you have your light system planned out? you will NEED a flash, no way in getting around that

05-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #20

Original Poster
Dear yeatzee,

Yes, I would grab a set of MT-24EX, if i decide to go for the mp-e.

If I stay with the K20D for macro-work (and I'd like to stay with it), is there a limitation to how long an extension (how many extension tubes on top of each other) can one use to achieve desired magnification? Basically I'll be looking at 175mms worth of extensions (if I use a 35mm 1:1 macro lens) to achieve 5:1 magn. Does anyone of you fine people have anything against doing this setup? I'd be using a focusing rail under the camera on the tripod, and either MT-24EX dual flashes, or a single ring-flash. (I also have custom carbon-fiber arms that attach to the tripod and hold a flash near the end of the glass).
05-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Good choice

So you want 5:1 to fill your screen with bug's eyes. Could you ellaborate a bit more?
05-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Without an aperture ring, you will have to use a canon body with mp-e to control the aperture. Otherwise it will only work wide open.

05-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #23

Original Poster
Dear yeatzee,

Not to be taken word for word of course. All I was trying to say with that is that extreme close-up fascinates me more and more and I'd like to do some work for myself. When I see DETAILED close-ups of sleeping insects covered with those early morning water droplets, THAT is what interesting photography is all about for me. A lot of people call uninteresting photos "great", but I think that what makes a photo good is when it locks you in completely and you can't take your eye away from it in total fascination. Nothing gives me that feeling as much as macro photography. Not even close.

Black and white shots of a building...? Give me a break!
05-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #24

Original Poster
Yes,

Blue, thanks, like I said if I was to go for an mp-e, I would also buy a Canon body to go with it.
05-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrpink Quote
Not to be taken word for word of course. All I was trying to say with that is that extreme close-up fascinates me more and more and I'd like to do some work for myself. When I see DETAILED close-ups of sleeping insects covered with those early morning water droplets, THAT is what interesting photography is all about for me. A lot of people call uninteresting photos "great", but I think that what makes a photo good is when it locks you in completely and you can't take your eye away from it in total fascination. Nothing gives me that feeling as much as macro photography. Not even close.

Black and white shots of a building...? Give me a break!
hey man, Im in the same boat, except I've found the sweet spot to be ~2-3:1 for me. Check out my flickr link below..... im working towards those shots you described!
IMO, 5:1 is more often than not overkill

I use a sigma 105mm macro with my M 50mm reversed..

Here's an example incase you don't feel like clicking on the link...

Even at ~2:1 I had trouble fitting the spider in the frame. 5:1 is impossible with insects such as these, unless like you said you get them in the early hours or you get lucky and they hide in a crevice you can easily photograph them from

Last edited by yeatzee; 05-16-2010 at 04:38 PM.
05-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #26

Original Poster
Dear yeatzee,

Now that is something to live for.
THAT is what I call FASCINATING !

Interesting what you said about sweet-spot (or sweet-point).
I can't wait to experiment.

So am I good to go ahead and stack 150 or so milimeters worth of extension tubes in front of the 35mm 1:1 macro lens? Or do you have an objection against that.

I'm sorry to be ignoring the lens-reversing technique, but the reason I do is because I know nothing about that technique. So I imagine there is some kind of a ring to do that that would grab the lens at the "wrong end" and couple it to the other "wong end" of the other lens...? If so, is there not a downside to that such as damage to the sensor maybe...?
05-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

^ should help with your statements regarding reversing lenses.
05-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Personally If I were in your situation I would buy a bellows and a cheap 28mm and reverse ring. From there you should be able to find out what you want/need more precisely.... NOT the DA 35mm and some extension tubes
05-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #29

Original Poster
Wow, again !

Without macro photography this would just be a little black bug that we take for granted and step on.

Meantime this creature possesses thousands of vibrant colors, 4 eyes (2 smaller ones an 2 larger ones kind of like the headlights on a Mercedes Benz E-class), it's got a moustache, and a kool haircut!
05-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

So yeah, all it takes to achieve images with reversed lenses is tape and some patience