Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #1

Storing lenses off body

When you store lenses (with an aperture ring) off the camera body, are you supposed to set the aperture to a given position? Or is it of no concern. Typically you wold want to store a spring in a "relaxed" position to keep it from giving in to constant deformation. Is it the same way with lenses?

05-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most important is to keep your lenses in a dry environment.
05-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #3

Yeah dry is most important. I don't worry about what my aperture is set to on my lens and I haven't had any problems, but I'll admit that I've only been in the game for a couple of years, so that might not be enough to cause any problems.
05-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

With Pentax, it seems to me that the spring is relaxed when the lens is at minimum aperture (in the A position when dismounted), so I leave my lenses in the A position or minimum aperture (if I remember) in the case of non A lenses.
I think it is more important to use them, or at least exercise them periodically than it is to store them in any particular way, other than the dry and clean mentioned above.

05-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As said above dry and clean is important, also where temperature does not rise enough to melt helicoid grease.

In A or M position spring is relaxed unless diaphragm pin or lever is actuated, at least on all my lenses...
05-17-2010, 05:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The DA lenses have no aperture ring and the iris closes down when the lens is removed from the body. That should be indicative of what Pentax expects us to do with our lenses
05-17-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
As said above dry and clean is important, also where temperature does not rise enough to melt helicoid grease.

In A or M position spring is relaxed unless diaphragm pin or lever is actuated, at least on all my lenses...
Most lens manufacturers use white lithium grease for internal lubricant, that type of grease easily supports heat up to 200C so I don't think one needs to worry too much about melting the grease. IMHO, the most important thing is to keep lenses in a dry place and use it when possible.

05-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Most lens manufacturers use white lithium grease for internal lubricant, that type of grease easily supports heat up to 200C so I don't think one needs to worry too much about melting the grease. IMHO, the most important thing is to keep lenses in a dry place and use it when possible.
I would add one word between "manufacturers" and "use"; the word is "now."

It is unclear what era lenses OP has...
05-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I would add one word between "manufacturers" and "use"; the word is "now."

It is unclear what era lenses OP has...
Right

Do you know of any lens manufacturers, regardless of era, that used grease that could be melted under 50-60C?

I'm interested to know as I have over 250 lenses from diverse eras and brands.
05-17-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
V10

Is storing your lens with one of those 'do not eat' moisture absorbing packets recommended?
05-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by V10 Quote
Is storing your lens with one of those 'do not eat' moisture absorbing packets recommended?
Those packets are called "silica gel". Yes, it's recommended to use those as long as you don't overuse them. Too dry is not good for your lenses either. The best way is to have a dry cabinet as it automatically controls the humidity. I read it somewhere that 30-50% of relative humidity level is recommended.

Last edited by ducdao; 05-17-2010 at 08:12 AM.
05-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Right

Do you know of any lens manufacturers, regardless of era, that used grease that could be melted under 50-60C?

I'm interested to know as I have over 250 lenses from diverse eras and brands.
Any of those lenses have oily aperture blades?

My M42 S-M-C Takumar 1.8/85 did, for example. Luckily a good cleaning restored it to near-new condition; blades are now dry and snappy.

Black lens in direct sunlight (even through a window) or inside closed automobile parked in direct sun can reach temperatures higher than 50-60C.
05-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Any of those lenses have oily aperture blades?

My M42 S-M-C Takumar 1.8/85 did, for example. Luckily a good cleaning restored it to near-new condition; blades are now dry and snappy.

Black lens in direct sunlight (even through a window) or inside closed automobile parked in direct sun can reach temperatures higher than 50-60C.
Haha right! My bad! I actually had my SMC-M 28 cleaned up a week ago for oily blades. I have few more Russian lenses that are really prone to oily blades issue.

Last edited by ducdao; 05-18-2010 at 12:50 AM.
05-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

As I've learnt the (almost) hard way. Dry is important.

Living in humid Hong Kong, my 6 month old FA 50 had a "smudge" which turned out to be mold.

I duly put it out under the Phuket midday sun and hope I have killed the little buggers.

I have now found a nice electronic dry cabinet (approx 1.5 cu ft) for US$80.