Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #1

Fast primes

Hi everyone, I've lurked a while but this is my first post here so I'll try not to ask too many redundant questions.

I'm looking for a fast, kinda wide to wide prime. And I'd like something relatively small. I've looked at the lenses I know exist but was wondering about anything I haven't heard of...

Lenses I've looked at:
Sigma 30mm f1.4- wasn't a huge fan of the mechanical feel.
Pentax fa-31- big jump in price, and I think it seems physically long (maybe not?) I'd rather a bigger diameter of the sigma than length of the fa31.
DA15mm ltd- I think it'd be great, but seems slow.

I know there's different focal lengths, but I could see myself using something in a 30mm-ish, or about a 15mm-ish. Either way, fast and relatively small are the priority. I don't really care about auto anything... I prefer manual focus so far, and if the apeture is electronic thats a nice perk but not a must.

I like shooting handheld in low light, don't like cranking the ISO past 800 on the K10D, and find the 50mm 1.4 lens I have long sometimes. I have 10-20mm and 35mm covered, but with slow lenses. I really like the feel of the 35ltd I use, and would love something comparable. (I know, I know... get a tripod. I have one and just don't pack it around all the time)

So, the question- Is there any older or manual lenses that might be available in a fast-ish 15 or 30mm range that I just haven't heard of? I don't mind searching, I just don't know what to search for.

or, is the f2.8 on my 35ltd not that much worse off than the f1.9 or 1.4 that I looked at and I should think about a body with better high iso performance instead of a lense upgrade?

Thanks if anyone read through all that... and feel free to let me know if I'm overlooking something or being silly with my train of thought.

05-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
30mm is not much of a wide angle on a Pentax DSLR.

If you want to go with a manual focus lens and don't mind hunting for a second hand lens, check out the A lenses in our database:

The 20mm or 24mm f/2.8 could be the answer. Also, the DA 21mm is only about half a stop slower - might be worth considering. The fastest one (still talking Pentax) would be the FA* 24mm f/2, which comes up for sale from time to time in the market place and on the 'bay.

Pentax Lens Review Database - Pentax A Series Prime Lens Reviews and Specifications

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-21mm-F3.2-Limited-Lens.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-FA-Star-24mm-F2-Lens.html
05-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The FA31 is actually quite compact. As Ole mentioned, you might want to check out its entry in the lens review database, or browse other threads about it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I know it's not exactly small, but did you consider the DA 14/2.8?

05-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A few other suggestions you could look at:

Pentax DA21 mm Limited f/3.2
Pentax FA20 mm f/2.8
Pentax FA35 mm f/2
Pentax FA* 24 mm f/2
Pentax A20 mm f/2.8**
Sigma 28 mm f/1.8
Sigma 24 mm f/1.8
Sigma 20 mm f/1.8
Voightlander 20 mm f/3.5**
Carl Zeiss ZK 20 mm f/2.8**
Carl Zeiss ZK 25 mm f/2.8**

** Manual Focus only

And then there's this nice little thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34654-vivitar-...placement.html
05-16-2010, 05:47 PM - 8 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

FA31 size comparison (to DA35 and FA35)

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The FA31 is actually quite compact.
The FA31 is a little larger and heavier than the other limiteds, but overall it's still fairly compact. Below is a picture comparing the size of the FA31 to the DA35 and FA35. Part of what makes the FA31 longer is the built in hood. With their hoods attached (or pulled out), the FA35 and DA35 are a lot closer in overall length.

05-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Now that's a helpful post. +rep!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Absolutely great reply.
This man deserves a canoe.
Good Karma left.

05-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies!

I know that 30mm isn't super wide on a pentax DSLR. I'm not necessarily looking for super wide, just wider than the 50mm I use in the evenings now.

I think that 20mm 2.8 looks good, but I have a stupid question being pretty new to this... can I expect better low light performance from a wider lense with the same aperture number? As in would this 20mm f2.8 possibly be better in low light than my 35mm f2.8? Or is the number for f stops already relative to focal length? (if that even makes sense to anyone but me)

I have looked at the 20-30mm sigmas, and the pentax 14mm, but they are a little on the large side.

Thanks a bunch for the FA31/DA35 comparison picture. That really clears up the size thing better than the numbers on petax/sigma's websites. The 31 isn't as bad size wise as I thought but is still a little long... I'd rather wide than long, but thats nitpicky.

I'm still torn, but have a few more lenses to look at now.

edit... for like $900 CAD less, that vivitar 28mm, f2.0 looks like its worth a try.

Last edited by mills; 05-16-2010 at 09:14 PM.
05-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Don't forget the FA 28mm F2.8 either.
05-17-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The FA31 is a little larger and heavier than the other limiteds, but overall it's still fairly compact. Below is a picture comparing the size of the FA31 to the DA35 and FA35. Part of what makes the FA31 longer is the built in hood. With their hoods attached (or pulled out), the FA35 and DA35 are a lot closer in overall length.

i hate you....
05-17-2010, 01:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mills Quote

I know that 30mm isn't super wide on a pentax DSLR. I'm not necessarily looking for super wide, just wider than the 50mm I use in the evenings now.

I think that 20mm 2.8 looks good, but I have a stupid question being pretty new to this... can I expect better low light performance from a wider lense with the same aperture number? As in would this 20mm f2.8 possibly be better in low light than my 35mm f2.8? Or is the number for f stops already relative to focal length? (if that even makes sense to anyone but me)
The aperture number is "normalized" and the light throughput will be the same at any given aperture for any lens. So a 300/2.8 at f/2.8 will give you the same ISO and shutter speed as a 20/2.8 at f/2.8.

The advantage of the wider lens is, that you can hold it more steady at longer shutter speeds, so that in practive a 20/2.8 will give you an f-stop advantage over a 50mm lens of the same max. aperture.

I have looked at the 20-30mm sigmas, and the pentax 14mm, but they are a little on the large side.

Thanks a bunch for the FA31/DA35 comparison picture. That really clears up the size thing better than the numbers on petax/sigma's websites. The 31 isn't as bad size wise as I thought but is still a little long... I'd rather wide than long, but thats nitpicky.

edit... for like $900 CAD less, that vivitar 28mm, f2.0 looks like its worth a try.
The size differences between the 31mm and the DA35mm and other DA lenses is also due to the simple fact, that the 31mm limited lens is an FA lens and made for 35mm cameras, wheras the DAs will only illuminate the smaller APS-C sensor.

If you are looking for a smaller, more lightweight, but very high quality option, I would also look again onto the FA 35/2.0 lens. It is much cheaper than the 31mm, but sharper fully open. You can use a smaller, narrower hood on it and then it is a tiny lens! For a long time, this has been my preferred choice for low light shooting.

Ben
05-17-2010, 05:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
The same aperture will let the same amount of light in, no matter the focal length.

However, a wider lens will create less blur due to user shake.

I'm surprised you are not considering the DA 21 mm limited. It's an excellent piece of optics, amazingly small, quite reliable.

Other choices, less expensive, could be:

M or A 28 mm f2.8 since you don't mind manual focus
M 28 mm f3.5, slower but great reputation.
Most of the Vivitar 28 mm are supposed to be very good too (all manual. There's a thread about the vivitar "bestiary"...)

I hope this helps.
05-17-2010, 05:44 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Consider the Sigma 24mm f2.8 Super-Wide II--a really very capable lens. It's not awfully expensive but them as has 'em tends to keep 'em so they don't come on the market that often.
05-17-2010, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

You're welcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
i hate you....
You're welcome?