Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New PL + Lens Hood or Step-Up Ring?

I've been researching threads and other review sites for a few hours tonight, and I still can't come to a conclusion. I'm interested in getting a hood for my DA-L 18-55 and a Hoya polarizer.

So far the most plausible option for me seems to be the PRO1 and this replica hood with the opening for polarizers.

I already have a 55mm polarizer though, so I'm contemplating just buying a cheap step-up ring. It's a Tiffen, which I think many forum members aren't too fond of, but I am a beginner so it might be something to get me started. If I do just step up to 55mm though, I won't be able to use a hood, right?

My last thought is to get one of the cheaper Hoyas. I can't find what series this is, so I'm guessing it's the "Green" series (?). I understand it's lesser quality than the PRO1, but it's also a heck of a lot less money for me. It's not as thin, either, but I should still be able to use a lens hood, right?

I'm still leaning towards the PRO1, but what do you all think about the other alternatives? Do you think the quality is good enough for a beginner, or is the extra $40 or so worth it?

Thanks!

Kevin

05-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow...I am thrilled to see some cheap hoods made with the cut out and its a bayonet mount not screw on. That is quite a discovery.

My recommendation however is unless you will be doing serious work with the CPL right off, save your money and go with a step up ring and either the hood you found (if it fits on the 55mm CPL) or a collapsible rubber hood for $7 that you can use just for CPL times. If the expensive PRO1 turns out to be what you need, you can get the 55mm version and use it on both lenses. I personally use 3 PRO1 CPLs currently but each one fits multiple lenses via step up ring otherwise I would be broke. Truthfully, I probably can't tell the difference between shots taken with the PRO1 and my old Sunpak CPL. But I enjoy gear and the prices at maxsaver.net made it worthwhile.