Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Here are the pictures, sorry if it is not good enough.
The mount:

The pin:

The stripped screw:

05-21-2010, 04:47 AM   #17
Inactive Account

That is the rounded type. I use those with no problem on both my DSLR's.
But if you want to be real safe, just dremel the pin down. You don't have to dismantle the mount to do that.
Don't obsess, it's not brain surgery.
05-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a positively unidentified (could be a Focal) older PK-R lens from the film days with the well rounded, brass looking pin. It mounts and dismounts easily. I have never had any issues with that style on my K10 and now K-7, but look at yours closely.
I think it is the pointed or flat ended pins that are the troublemakers.
Maybe file it a bit and have a feeler guage handy.
05-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #19

I guess Id rather do it right than half-a**ed. I dont agree with grinding it down with a dremel at all, but hey, to each their own. Even a stripped screw is safer and easier to get out than either finding or buying a dremel and going at your lens with it. There are plenty of tools out there to get stripped screws out, and the hardware store or a jeweler should have the same size screw for a nickel.

By the looks of that screw, Id try a tight-fitting, regular screwdriver. Push and turn HARD. Should come right out, but first, maybe spray some WD-40 on a q-tip and smear the screw head with it to help loosen the threads. Or you could always buy a dremel, a cutting wheel and cut off the pin as flush to the lens as possible, hoping you dont slip and cut the lens.

I mean, Id rather pay a jeweler or someone to remove the screw for me than take a dremel at it, but thats just me.

05-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #20
Inactive Account

OK, I dug out my copy of this lens. It goes on and off my K200D no problem. I also removed a screw. If you drill out the screw head, you'll have nothing to get hold of. It is a thin plate on the mount. There will be less than a 1/16" left to try and grip.
For what the lens is worth, I'd just put the other screws in and use it as is.
05-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Even though it is rounded, and many said that it mounts and dismount on their body safely, I caution you to do it. Here's what happened to me, um, my friend.

I think I will go see a jeweler, see if they can help me or not.
05-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I have written a blog post about the Ricoh pin and Ricoh R/K mount. Not all Rioch pin will jam a digital bodies, it is those that stick out too much that gives higher chance to get stuck in the AF/MF switch connector.

Here is a picture of a pin sticking out too much from an Access 35-70mm f/2.5-3.5 zoom in R/K mount

A rough test to see if the pin sticks out too much
  • Use a SD memory card and slide it across the pin as shown in #1 picture
  • Check if pin retract easily into position and that the SD card slide across easily over the pin

How to free upon stuck pin:
  • Gentle wiggle of lens in dis-mounting
  • Toggle AF/MF switch back and forth while wiggling lnes in dis-mounting. The AF position may push the pin out while leaving the pin into its recessed position. The toggling and the wiggle have to be done at the same time so that the AF connector pin has a higher chance to push the Ricoh pin into position

How to remove the pin
  • This is usually a simple operation assuming you manage to unscrew the tiny screws holding up the rear mount
  • Grinding or filing the pin down in place may turn out to be harder than you thought when the pin is retractable and you can't hold the pin in position without dismantling the rear mounting plate of your lens.

R/K or Ricoh related lens that are safe
Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 05-21-2010 at 10:42 AM.
05-22-2010, 03:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

the easiest solution would be to just place a tiny drop of superglue on the pin and push it down into it's hole until the glue sets. it's completely reversible and you don't need to worry about getting metallic dust in your lens or camera.