Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Used Lens Warranty

I have a chance to purchase a used 50-135. Does anyone know if there is a problem, will I be able to have it repaired under warranty? The seller says the lens is relatively new, less than two months. Haven't tried it on my k7 yet, and will before I buy. It's a bit of a drive to where the lens is, and don't want to make it if the warranty is void for second hand lenses...

Thanks

05-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
I have a chance to purchase a used 50-135. Does anyone know if there is a problem, will I be able to have it repaired under warranty? The seller says the lens is relatively new, less than two months. Haven't tried it on my k7 yet, and will before I buy. It's a bit of a drive to where the lens is, and don't want to make it if the warranty is void for second hand lenses...

Thanks
You need to ask the seller for his original receipt before you can claim the warranty.

Pentax honors warranty based on receipt ONLY.
05-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Second hands should not be a problem. At least in Canada, maybe other countries have different laws. However, you absolutely need the receipt.
05-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manufacturer warranties typically are not transferable. The better place to ask your question is Pentax USA (assuming you are purchasing from a USA seller who originally bought the lens in the USA).

05-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The official answer from Pentax is that the warranty is valid only for the original owner.

In buying used stuffs, I assume there is no warranty and factor that in to determine their values to me.

In many cases, the original owner may be able to help you with warranty repair.
05-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks...
05-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote

Thanks
Warranties from nearly every manufacturer are for the original owner. You can read it on their website. That has prevented me from saving a little on a 70-200 lens, but I was happy to buy new for the long warranty.

Most sellers will state a lens has X-months left on the warranty which is just plain wrong - if it has been registered. If not, then the original receipt (hopefully anonymous) should be sufficient. Also, the original owner can send it in on the second owner's behalf as the manufacturer has no way to really know its actual status.