Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 18-55mm WR lens exif data issue

I recently purchased a DA 18-55 WR lens as a bit of an upgrade for my stable of glass plus I wanted the WR version. It's a fine lens etc. but I've now discovered an issue with the exif data. The first time I really looked at the exif data from my k10 with this lens attached, I was told that it's an unknown lens (it knows that it's AF etc, but it doesn't know what lens it is). I've seen this on other non Pentax lenses and that's ok but this was a Pentax lens. What is the deal?

I have version 1.31 of the firmware in my k10 which is the latest so there should be no problem.

I have to try this with my k20 now to see if that's the issue. Anyone have a clue here what's going on with the exif data?

BTW - I first noticed this with Lightroom then I went to the Pentax PhotoBrowser software and it is similarly dumb.

Thought?

Small rant - actually I've had the same exif problem with my Samsung 12-24 lens which is an exact clone of the DA 12-24, although I think my Tamron 18-250 is recognized by my k10 & k20. I can live with older lenses not recognized in the exif data, I'd just like the new digital lenses of manufactures to be correctly recognized. How hard is that? end of rant

05-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Inactive Account

This is an issue with most of the DA type lenses on pentax bodies. Bridge (CS4), for instance doesn't recognize that my 55mm lens is the DA*55. It also mis-identifies or fails to ID most of the other DA type lenses on my list. It gets the FL right and the other basic stuff (speed aperture, etc) but the actual lens ID is lacking. I think this is something lacking on Pentax's part and has nothing to do with the EXIF file in general. That is, Pentax ain't writing it to the EXIF, so the software cannot find it. As it happens however, PhotoMe correctly IDs the lenses (in most cases). It makes sorting through things looking for photos taken with certain lenses, difficult to say the least.

05-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm convinced that the lens ID is there and that the (PC) software that you use is not up to date with lens IDs. I had the issue with the DA55-300 on a K10D, updated silkypix and the problem was solved.

Maybe try photome

PS I see that JeffJS already mentioned photome, so that's a second vote
05-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
That is, Pentax ain't writing it to the EXIF, so the software cannot find it. As it happens however, PhotoMe correctly IDs the lenses (in most cases). It makes sorting through things looking for photos taken with certain lenses, difficult to say the least.

That does not make sense If the ID is not written into the EXIF, photome will not be able to identify those lenses either.

05-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have run across EXIF errors from time to time and I suspect it is an issue with some software programs. Clicking properties on a PEF in Picasa tells me I used the flash for every picture when I didn't. After converting to a JPEG, it seems to read it right. I also have had some wierd EXIF with Sigma lenses even though the photo was fine and expoxed properly.
05-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
That does not make sense If the ID is not written into the EXIF, photome will not be able to identify those lenses either.
From a photo taken with the DA*55 on the K7, Latest firmware as of march 27 (the date of the photo). Bridge and PS CS4 do not identify the lens. I don't always type things without having Some clue of what I'm saying. Makes sense or not, it's a fact.

Attached Images

05-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
For me this was the first Pentax lens, that my camera has failed to identify. It should be simple, the exif data is there or not there.

05-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
For me this was the first Pentax lens, that my camera has failed to identify. It should be simple, the exif data is there or not there.
It is simple . The exif data is there. The lens ID (stored in the EXIF) is an ID like your ID number (not sure if you have ID numbers in your country). It does not say that you're blackcloudbrew, it says that your person with ID 1234567890.

The PC software sees that number, looks it up in a table that links the ID to a string and displays that string (e.g. DA18-55 or FA31Ltd). If it can't find the lens ID (the number) because your PC software is older than the lens, you will encounter the problem that you have.

Note: I have heard that Nikon works differently and indeed has the lens 'string' in the exif. Not sure if that's the case.
05-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exactly. Every lens ID string is a unique number. It is up to the individual software to interpret that correctly to give you the right lens:

Pentax Tags

Jack
05-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Photome lists my DA 18-55WR as "unknown DA or DA*".
05-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I recently purchased a DA 18-55 WR lens as a bit of an upgrade for my stable of glass plus I wanted the WR version. It's a fine lens etc. but I've now discovered an issue with the exif data. The first time I really looked at the exif data from my k10 with this lens attached, I was told that it's an unknown lens (it knows that it's AF etc, but it doesn't know what lens it is). I've seen this on other non Pentax lenses and that's ok but this was a Pentax lens. What is the deal?

I have version 1.31 of the firmware in my k10 which is the latest so there should be no problem.

I have to try this with my k20 now to see if that's the issue. Anyone have a clue here what's going on with the exif data?

BTW - I first noticed this with Lightroom then I went to the Pentax PhotoBrowser software and it is similarly dumb.

Thought?

Small rant - actually I've had the same exif problem with my Samsung 12-24 lens which is an exact clone of the DA 12-24, although I think my Tamron 18-250 is recognized by my k10 & k20. I can live with older lenses not recognized in the exif data, I'd just like the new digital lenses of manufactures to be correctly recognized. How hard is that? end of rant
Could this be because the lens is newer than your K10? Could you try uploading your photo in your album here, or in the use photo gallery, so that we can take a look at the exact exif?

@Jeff - 55x1.5 = 82.5 ~82, hence that number.

Also, I'm going to move this to the lens forum as it seems like it's more of a lens issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It makes sorting through things looking for photos taken with certain lenses, difficult to say the least.

I have the same anonymous lens info, but I use Pentax Photo Browser to "save image data list" into a CSV. I then just add the lens and any other data. I add the whole thing to a spreadsheet, that can be sorted in a number of ways.
05-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

@Jeff - 55x1.5 = 82.5 ~82, hence that number.
huh Huh?

05-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adam, as I wasn't sure if this was a lens/camera/software issue I wasn't quite sure where to post this. So the lens forum is as good as any.

Thanks for your responses here. It's helping me sort this out. I just did a partial test of this on my K20 and apparently the same issue is there as well. I'm thinking that the data is there in the exif data and it's really the software that's the problem. As I don't have access to the Pentax version 4 software, in looking back at my PhotoBrowser version history (through 3.61), clearly various updates include support for later lenses the DA 18-55WR lens not being one of them. As far as Adobe products not understanding them apparently that's the same thing. You'd think that as this lens has been on the street for more than a year it would be known at that point by Lightroom 2.7. [sigh]

I can't imagine that it's very complicated to update such software at least once in awhile (Pentax? you listening?).
05-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Adam, as I wasn't sure if this was a lens/camera/software issue I wasn't quite sure where to post this. So the lens forum is as good as any.

Thanks for your responses here. It's helping me sort this out. I just did a partial test of this on my K20 and apparently the same issue is there as well. I'm thinking that the data is there in the exif data and it's really the software that's the problem. As I don't have access to the Pentax version 4 software, in looking back at my PhotoBrowser version history (through 3.61), clearly various updates include support for later lenses the DA 18-55WR lens not being one of them. As far as Adobe products not understanding them apparently that's the same thing. You'd think that as this lens has been on the street for more than a year it would be known at that point by Lightroom 2.7. [sigh]

I can't imagine that it's very complicated to update such software at least once in awhile (Pentax? you listening?).
Now that I come to think of it, it has to be the software. AFAIK the actual lens name is never stored in exif: only the focal length. The lens name then has to be decoded by the Pentax software.

:huh: Huh?

Nice smiley! I though you were confused about the 82

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: