Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Voigtlander 58mm vs. Pentax Da70mm

Hi, my first post on this forum.

I'm looking for my first upgrade lens for my k-x and a I want a telephoto lens for portraits and candid street photos and i'm pretty much down to these two primes. I'm new to digital so a manual focus lens wouldnt annoy me, unless people have trouble focusing it without a focusing screen. I've checked photozone and others for reviews, but I want to hear from people with hands on experience.

Which lens has the shallower DOF wide open?
Is the resolution of the voigt at f/1.4 usable? If not, how much does it have to be stopped down to be usable?
Which has a smoother focus movement? I hear they're both damp but that the Voigt is sometimes too stiff.
Is the DA worth $150 dollars more?

Photos would be cool if someone already compared and contrasted these two lenses

05-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can speak of the Voigtlander Nokton 58m f1.4. It is a superb lens, with outstanding built quality, excellent image quality, highly recommended by all Pentaxians who own it, and its reviews score 9.5/10 in average:
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 Lens Reviews

The focus movement of my lens is really smooth (no stiffness at all).

I bought the lens of low-light outdoor photography but use it also indoor without flash. I have use it at large aperture (f1.4) with no particular issue. I found enjoying the lens for many applications that are not restriccted to low-light. See some examples (thumbnail with url):

Another example:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/hcc-albums-photographs-picture210...mgp1018-pt.jpg

Although not as small as the DA70mm pancake, the Nokton 58mm is a small, light-weight lens:

I can highly recommend the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 that is excellent value for money.

Hope that the comment will assist....

Last edited by hcc; 05-18-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Typos
05-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah it looks like a great lens, I know voigtlander is highly respected for their optics. 35mm equivalent of these lens is like 87mm and 105mm. Would it be redundant to own both of these lenses since they are only 20mm apart?
05-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Both of these are excellent lenses and I have owned both. It boils down to auto focus versus manual focus and f2.8 versus f1.4. If you have a split image viewfinder the Nokton is a breeze to use. If not it gets a bit harder. If you want portraits and street photos get the DA 70limited. The Nokton is great for portraits but difficult to use quickly.

I can't speak to your questions on DOF. I sold my DA 70 last year (I miss is but I got a DA 12-24 for it and that's a really cool lens...). The Nokton focuses buttery smooth and the DA 70 has a short quick throw as I recall. I've used both for portrait work and love both of them. The DA 70's built in hood it very handy. The Nokton you have to buy a hood for extra.

$0.02

Tim

Edit - just saw your second question. I would be happy owning both of these (again). I think they have different purposes and to me the DA 70 is more versatile right off.

05-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I'd personally go for the FA 77 even though it's pricier than the DA 70. The Voigtlander is tip-top, but I wouldn't buy it right now. See the thread below...basically I just returned 2 copies of the Voigtlander for shoddy craftsmanship. After I bought the second one from Adorama, the lens went "temporarily unavailable." Now that the returns have been processed, Adorama now has "new" voigtlander's in stock. Sounds fishy to me.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/101019-how-muc...-new-lens.html

Other shops have the lens for about $100 more than B&H/Adorama (both have it on sale for $379), but B&H is temporarily out of stock, and Adorama looks to be slanging defective copies. I'm personally waiting for a new shipment from B&H and will be buying from them.
05-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
at blackcloud brew:
I guess the prices become more even when you see that the 70mm is auto focus and comes with a hood and so on. Then 70mm is easier to pick up and get good results fast, but if you were to master both lenses, which do you think would be the superior?

at Porterhause:
the 77 is really cool but its out of my reach. Even then 70mm takes the thread out of my pockets. I saw your thread and that amount of dust looks alarming. I do agree, Adorama does have some fishy products and they are the only ones carrying it at 379 dollars.
05-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by porterHause Quote
I'd personally go for the FA 77 even though it's pricier than the DA 70. The Voigtlander is tip-top, but I wouldn't buy it right now. See the thread below...basically I just returned 2 copies of the Voigtlander for shoddy craftsmanship. After I bought the second one from Adorama, the lens went "temporarily unavailable." Now that the returns have been processed, Adorama now has "new" voigtlander's in stock. Sounds fishy to me.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/101019-how-muc...-new-lens.html
Other shops have the lens for about $100 more than B&H/Adorama (both have it on sale for $379), but B&H is temporarily out of stock, and Adorama looks to be slanging defective copies. I'm personally waiting for a new shipment from B&H and will be buying from them.
Sorry to hear your trouble. I bought my Voigtlander Nokton 58mm from Adorama in late December 2009 and I had no trouble with the lens. Being based in Australia, I add that Adorama was fairly efficient with the order processing and the UPS delivery was prompt.
05-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #8

you can get the voigtlander for $379 via stephen gandy at cameraquestdotcom. the hood is separate. no shipping fee (in u.s., not sure about elsewhere) for purchase of $200 and over. he appears to have an excellent reputation (even mentioned in an online photographer article for possibly having influenced a feature of the more recent zeiss ikon rangefinder). i am not affiliated with him in any way, just made my first purchase from him and am very happy with the service.

05-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
Stupid question:
If I changed my focus screen to a split prism, then what would happen to the autofocus with autofocus lenses?
05-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. That is an unusual pair of lenses to compare. I would compare the Nokton 58mm to the DA* 55mm and I'd probably go with the Nokton even though it is mf. I'd compare the Voightlander 75 to the DA 70mm or FA 77mm ltd lenses.
05-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
you can get the voigtlander for $379 via stephen gandy at cameraquestdotcom. the hood is separate. no shipping fee (in u.s., not sure about elsewhere) for purchase of $200 and over. he appears to have an excellent reputation (even mentioned in an online photographer article for possibly having influenced a feature of the more recent zeiss ikon rangefinder). i am not affiliated with him in any way, just made my first purchase from him and am very happy with the service.
I've bought from Stephen at cameraquest before--very good service!

The hood is $40 or something by itself! I'd just get a different 58mm hood for it, like a rubber one or a metal screw in hood off ebay for $5 (heavystar is a good seller for hoods). Some of them can be nice.

The Nokton is a beautiful lens to use--if you enjoy manual focus, look no further! I never found it too stiff, though the focus throw is pretty long. By f/2.8 it's extremely sharp, and the bokeh is dreamier than you'd get with the DA 70. There's a bokeh masters thread on this forum somewhere, where the Nokton keeps coming up as a killer, even against lenses consting 3 or four times as much.

The DA 70 is also a great optic, and quick shift is great, but it has a fiddly little focus ring, so it's not the greatest for manual focus. But the AF is so fast and good, you might forget about manual focus entirely. The hood is not built-in but screws in and telescopes out a bit. But for candid street, the extra length would come in handy. It's also a nice sharp lens for landscape and architecture, and I found it better at distance than the FA77. Nice close up as well. I never really used the Nokton for distance or street.

The Nokton would have narrower DOF wide open than the 70, and you'd move in closer which would increase the difference.

For me, I had both at one point or another but ended up getting the DA*55, which was the best of both worlds in a way. Bokeh wasn't quite as smooth as the Nokton, especially wide open, but I found it sharper stopped down and liked the rendering more than the DA70.
05-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

In my experience, DA70 and Nokton 58mm are two totally different lenses. I think it would be prudent if you want to try to compare Nokton 58mm with some other MF lens from a Pentax range. Some older 50mm f1.4, or 55mm f2 are all comparable with Nokton and you can get them often for 1/3 or 1/2 the price of a new Nokton. I think it's worth experimenting, and surely they won't disappoint you. Considering money you spend on them, they give enormous satisfaction.
DA70 is a lens to have alongside the Nokton. AF gives DA70 a wholly new dimension and use. Oftentimes you'll need to act quickly, do more stealth street photography, rely on your camera more than on yourself and DA70 is the lens to use then.
05-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by szurinaga Quote
at blackcloud brew:
Then 70mm is easier to pick up and get good results fast, but if you were to master both lenses, which do you think would be the superior?
My personal thought on that is that I'm not really sure. As I said they are different lenses. I've found the DA 70 to be more versatile but the bokeh of the Nokton is amazing. For portrait work I think the length of the Nokton is better. From an image quality sense, I'd rate them equal. I get more misses with the Nokton than I did with the DA 70 even with a split image rangefinder. Sorry, I like them both.
05-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you all for your comments. I think I have arrived to my decision
Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4
I think I'll just use the left-over money to invest in a good tripod or a flash/lightstand set up