Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K mount lens to Canon EOS

I am thinking of getting a Canon EOS 5D MKII to replace my K10D. I would love to stick with Pentax, but the video options on the current models don't really meet my needs.

I'll be putting up my K10D for sale, but I would like to keep my faithful SMC K mount primes. They'll have to be prised from my cold dead hands!

Now my big question is, is there a decent adaptor available to allow me to mount these totally manual lenses to the Canon?

05-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can readily find the adapters on eBay, but the aperture lever will be a problem for the 5D mirror, and you might have to remove some of the other protruding black bits as well.

Some people snip them off (and Pentax users find them later on eBay and get pissed!). It would be better if you could take the mount apart and remove the lever and see if they still work first though. Depends which lenses they are as to whether it would be a big deal or not.
05-19-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'd be reluctant to snip the lever off. It is a shame that Pentax low light doesn't seem to compare to the Canons, and that they don't allow manual shutter control on the K-7 in video mode, otherwise I would have kept with Pentax (it would save me money too).

My two K mount lenses are an SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 and an SMC Pentax-M 28mm f2.8.

I do however have a Super Takumar 55mm f2 screw mount lens, and a Super Takumar f3.5 135mm screw mount lens that I believe I can use with Canons without needing bits hacking?
05-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SimonMW Quote
I'd be reluctant to snip the lever off. It is a shame that Pentax low light doesn't seem to compare to the Canons, and that they don't allow manual shutter control on the K-7 in video mode, otherwise I would have kept with Pentax (it would save me money too).

My two K mount lenses are an SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 and an SMC Pentax-M 28mm f2.8.

I do however have a Super Takumar 55mm f2 screw mount lens, and a Super Takumar f3.5 135mm screw mount lens that I believe I can use with Canons without needing bits hacking?
I just had a look at my M 50 1.7--that other black bit would have to be ground off as well. Might not be worth it.

There are a few different opinions on the screw mounts as well, unfortunately. I found this thread here:
Flickr: Discussing SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 and 5d in EOS Cameras and Manual Lenses

Where some have no problems and others have problems at infinity with the mirror hitting the rear of the lens. One person suggested shaving the mirror, but I doubt you're up for that!

05-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many people use Taks on their Canons. I think the infinity focus issues and mirror hitting the mount issues are problems with the particular adapter. The biggest problem will be to find an adapter that isn't a piece of junk. A week hardly goes by here in the forum without somebody having a problem with a third party M 42/K mount adapter. Most of the inexpensive EOS/K or EOS/M 42 adapters come from the same foreign slave labor camps that produce the Pentax adapters many have problems with. Novoflex makes some good ones but the prices aren't cheap.
05-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SimonMW Quote
I am thinking of getting a Canon EOS 5D MKII to replace my K10D. I would love to stick with Pentax, but the video options on the current models don't really meet my needs.

I'll be putting up my K10D for sale, but I would like to keep my faithful SMC K mount primes. They'll have to be prised from my cold dead hands!

Now my big question is, is there a decent adaptor available to allow me to mount these totally manual lenses to the Canon?
Does this article help? It is a k-mount lens on a 5D.
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Preview: Cantax K5D Full Frame! ;-)
05-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Some PK to EOS adapters mount PK lens with distance scale at 45 to 90 degree angle to prevent back pieces of lens interfering with mounting or with mirror.

FF EOS mirror clears back of M42 Takumar 1.8/55 and 135s, but not 1.4/50...

05-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I did consider having this setup as well. I think some adapter would work out perfectly on the APS-C Canon, but highly unlikely with the FF Canon. Sony FF seems to be a better fit, but I would prefer the Canon 5D II system better, if only it would work.
04-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #9

Hi guys n gals,

First post here!
I've been looking into getting some vintage Pentax glass on my 7d (sacrilege to some I'm sure!)
And this forum was more than useful for identifying what lenses to get considering budget and needs, I opted for;
SMC PENTAX-M 50mm f1.7 K Lens PK Fit
Pentax K Mount Fit 1:2.5 28mm Wide Auto Lens

I got each for £30 and then purchased an adapter ring;
HTML Code:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160751010762?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I had been looking into shaving back the aperture tab and was not looking forward to it. Fortunately I decided to mount the lenses first and I appears I don't have to mutilate anything, they work perfectly and don't get in the way of anything!

Here are a few bits I tok the day i had them;
HTML Code:
http://youtu.be/BmZ5QmKXc_0
HTML Code:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bomtarker/sets/72157629449260756/show/
Thanks for the help and information, I'll certainly be back!