Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2007, 11:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Automotive Lens Kit - Help curb my LBA!

Alright, so after a pretty good summer of events and really testing the waters with the K100D and my 18-55, 50-200 and 70-300 lens I've decided to adapt the kit a bit for a few indoor shows throughout the fall/winter and in anticipation of next season. Any suggestions or comments about the lenses please toss them up as this is just a rough idea from what I've jotted down after wrapping up at an event.

Wide Angle - Pentax 10-17mm FE
Standard - Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5
Telephoto - Sigma 50-500 "Bigma"
Low Light/Night Shots - Pentax FA 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 (if I can ever find a 1.7) or Sigma 30mm f1.4 (bit more pricey but apparently quite nice from 1.4 and very sharp at even 1.8).

I know some people don't like the fisheye effect much but I find it adds a fresh and interesting spin when photographing cars, especially inside the engine bay. The 17-70 is what I see as my standard walk-around lens as well as the 'rolling shot' lens for getting some nice moving pictures of the cars on our travels to and from the events. The Bigma stems from shooting at the Formula One and a few other events where the 70-300 didn't just reach far enough to give me a mix of compositions (every photo looked the same as it was designated seating). And of course the infamous FA 50mm makes its way back into the bag for the sole purpose of handling those late night shots or doing a night shoot with a friends car.

Any comments or suggestions on the kit would be great, I know the Bigma is definitely a go as I am just waiting for the retailer to let me know a specific date of when it will be in stock.

Cheers,

Shawn

Last edited by smcclelland; 07-31-2007 at 11:08 PM.
07-31-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hard choice indeed.

I had my eye on an FA50 1.4 (still for sale in the Marketplace as well as I declined the offer) ... due to financial issues I couldn't go ahead with it ... a shame really as I was really after something like this lens ... at a nice price as well.

I am not sure what the Bigma is like though for fast moving photography ... not that sharp from what i have seen for auto events ... but then if you want the length and you want a faster lens ... its starts getting pricey as you start looking at the high end lenses.

I reckon a Fisheye lens can be a handy lens for some things (especially underbonnet ... and interior shots of vehicles ... can be good for panorama style effects.
08-01-2007, 01:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I am not sure what the Bigma is like though for fast moving photography ...
Just have to use higher ISO settings to compensate I guess.
08-01-2007, 05:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
Surprisingly the Bigma does quite well for fast moving subjects. A lot of the Canon guys and especially the Nikon folks use it (of course the budget Canon people not wanting to pay for L glass). I searched around a lot and came up with some nice shots in the automotive area with the Bigma.

A fellow by the name of Wackyracer is whom I stumbled across using the Bigma for a lot of motorsports shooting, especially Superbikes and MotoGP (photos credited to him, found on Nikonian boards and hope they can be posted here as an example of the lens quality).

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/User_files/465aec6128e20b7b.jpg

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/User_files/465aecb529a69a78.jpg

08-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Inactive Account

that 2nd one looks amazing. wow
08-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah, some really slick photos that guy has taken with the Bigma (I believe he uses a D200 from what I gathered in my search).

Now to just get rid of the old gear and start preparing the new kit, anyone know the going price for the DA 50-200 currently (essentially brand new with warranty card, box and everything), hoping to maybe trade that for a 50mm.

-s
08-02-2007, 03:39 AM   #7
Forum Member

Pentax
50-200mm smc PDA f4-5.6 ED Lens
$188.80 CDN (cameracanada.com)
08-02-2007, 04:50 AM   #8

Original Poster
Whoops, I should have mentioned I was looking for the used price as I am trying to get rid of mine. Sorry!

08-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #9
osv
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by smcclelland Quote
Low Light/Night Shots - Pentax FA 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 (if I can ever find a 1.7) or Sigma 30mm f1.4 (bit more pricey but apparently quite nice from 1.4 and very sharp at even 1.8)
the problem with those apertures is that you can't get enough depth of field to cover the entire length of the car... the only way that you'll be able to make it work is to shoot the car dead-on sideways, which is not a good angle.

you can increase depth of field by going wider, but pentax is weak in the area of fast wide primes... anything wider than a 24mm on the k10d, and you have to start worrying about noticeable distortion when it comes to shooting cars.

here is an example of the dof problems... 24mm@2.8 or 3.2, autofocus just under the door handle, and you might be able to see that both ends of the car are slightly out of focus: