Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new improved Bigma for Pentax.

I'm getting antsy and want to get the Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm for my Pentax K20d.So far I haven't seen any test results or any info relevant to its performance.Does anyone have an update?--CharlieZap

05-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have read a short assessment of the new version somewhere, which put it slightly above the older version in terms of sharpness, but seemingly also slghtly behind the 150-500. The reviewer raved about the silent AF action, by the way.

I really can't remember the source - and I am doubtful about such findings, without knowing how the poster arrived at his conclusion. For me it reads as whether it is at least just as good as the old version and that was certainly the very best 50-500 on the market.

Ben
05-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In the mean time, two reviews have been released:

Sigma 50-500 mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Sigma 50-500 OS Lens Review - photo.net

both tested with Canons, but at least you get the idea.

Ben
05-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I have read a short assessment of the new version somewhere, which put it slightly above the older version in terms of sharpness, but seemingly also slghtly behind the 150-500. The reviewer raved about the silent AF action, by the way.

I really can't remember the source - and I am doubtful about such findings, without knowing how the poster arrived at his conclusion. For me it reads as whether it is at least just as good as the old version and that was certainly the very best 50-500 on the market.

Ben
It's just marginally better with image stabilization? Disappointing, since the original wasn't exactly pin sharp either. That said, seems like a good opportunity to pick up some of the older editions bound to hit the market from the early adopters/upgraders.

Last edited by writeb; 05-21-2010 at 03:20 PM.
05-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

as I recall, the NEW Bigma is NOT an EX build so only the standard 1-yr warranty? yes? No?
05-22-2010, 03:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
as I recall, the NEW Bigma is NOT an EX build so only the standard 1-yr warranty? yes? No?
It is not EX, because Sigma changed the policy about the EX designation: only lenses with a fixed aperture throughout the range will be EXes in future.

As warranty is a local thing, I don't have info for you regarding the duration.

Ben
05-22-2010, 03:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
It's just marginally better with image stabilization? Disappointing, since the original wasn't exactly pin sharp either. That said, seems like a good opportunity to pick up some of the older editions bound to hit the market from the early adopters/upgraders.
The Photonet review is raving about a center sharpness (with corner loss) at the level of the Canon 500/4 - which seems to be me sharp enough. And in my own experience the Bigma is really sharp, if you get the focus right and have no camera shake.

Ben