Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by summonbaka Quote
Can you shoot some flowers or greens in an outside matter whenever possible? I want to see the FA* in this environment. It doesn't need to be a new photo, do you have one from before?
I will try to do that over the wknd.

05-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Can you shoot some flowers or greens in an outside matter whenever possible? I want to see the FA* in this environment. It doesn't need to be a new photo, do you have one from before?
Here are 9 samples. Shot in RAW, opened in LR3 and saved as jpeg. NO PP.

I would say almost 40% of the final look of my images depend on PP, so these can be made to look much much better with PP, but I am posting uncropped unprocessed images for you to evaluate.

Hope this is what you were looking for, if you want to check the full size image of any of these, let me know and I can post it.

Hope this helps!

EXIF INTACT

05-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few of the same images with some post processing.

100% CROP OF THE SECOND IMAGE

Last edited by pcarfan; 05-30-2010 at 08:03 AM.
05-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I paid $250 for my "new" Tamron, I think I can live with it.

05-29-2010, 01:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I paid $250 for my "new" Tamron, I think I can live with it.
You got a great deal there, I had to pay a bit more for my used one. The lens is a bargain even at the usual price of about $460 for a new one....congrats!

Last edited by pcarfan; 05-29-2010 at 04:08 AM.
05-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
A few of the same images with some post processing.

Thanks!
Wow those are some really nice images! And the bokeh is creamy and smooth.

Between the two, which one do you like the most? Both seem really nice.
05-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

You got a great deal there, I had to pay a bit more for my used one. The lens is a bargain even at the usual price of about $460 for a new one....congrats!
I had to save money at some point, it was because of your excellent frog image that I purchased the 43 ltd.
05-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #23

Absolutely.

It is unusable at f2.8 and 70mm, but by F4 it is fine.
Ok thank you.
If so, it isn't my lens to be defective.
It is a pity that a "Star", defective so great

05-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!
Wow those are some really nice images! And the bokeh is creamy and smooth.

Between the two, which one do you like the most? Both seem really nice.
The FA*28-70 has wonderful bokeh indeed, but the Tamron is no slouch either.

Both lenses are very nice, but I easily prefer the FA*. Is it worth the price difference?, well that totally depends on each individual. I will be selling my Tamron.

The IQ is slightly better for the FA*, but the built is much better and it balances well with my flash and exposes much better with the flash. It is much more reliable in getting the shot with the focus point and exposure being spot on. I enjoy shooting with it very much. In IQ the Tamron is stunning as well (still lags behind the FA* except wideopen at 70mm).

But, even the FA* IMO only is second to the Pentax limiteds. So, my primary preference is still the primes. I think once you get the taste for the Pentax limiteds, many lenses wouldn't make the grade. So, if the shot really matters (large print for instance) only the limiteds would do......I'll be using the FA* for indoor flash portraits (works very very well for this...almost as good as the primes for the given aperture, but only the limiteds can get the very narrow dof), and use the lens outdoors only for family snapshots which will only be printed to 5X7.

P.S: I also want you to know that the images that looked dark with the unprocessed images either have exposure compensation to make them darker or metered off the clouds to look darker. i do this not to blowout highlights as I know I will post process them anyways......

I had to save money at some point, it was because of your excellent frog image that I purchased the 43 ltd.
That frog had done that several times

QuoteOriginally posted by bollicina31 Quote
Ok thank you.
I should not have said unusable, that is too strong. Let me say the FA* is soft at 70 wide open, but quite sharp by F4. The soft look could be useful, so I don't want to say useless.

Last edited by pcarfan; 05-29-2010 at 03:12 PM.
05-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
At f2.8 the FA* is useless, so did this at F4 where it almost catches up to the tamron, but still a little soft.
No. The Pentax lens isn't focused properly. It is not focused on the labels but further back. Never use AF when testing lenses unless you want to test the AF system...
05-29-2010, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
No. The Pentax lens isn't focused properly. It is not focused on the labels but further back. Never use AF when testing lenses unless you want to test the AF system...
I wasn't focusing on the labels. The MF was done on the gold emblem. Even there the focus point is not at the same exact spot, but closer.

Nevertheless, the conclusion was not based on just that shot. The Pentax IS much softer at 70mm wideopen.

P.S:

Another shot to show bokeh

Last edited by pcarfan; 05-29-2010 at 06:46 PM.
05-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bollicina31 Quote
Ok thank you.
I haven't had the opertunity to use the Pentax 28-Seventy something lens, but I can tell you that my Tamron 28-75 is REALLY sharp at 28mm and f2.8!

Ray
05-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't had the opertunity to use the Pentax 28-Seventy something lens, but I can tell you that my Tamron 28-75 is REALLY sharp at 28mm and f2.8!

Ray
Ray,

You know what, the Tamron is indeed VERY sharp at 28mm and f2.8, it's just that the Pentax is even sharper