Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Helios opinion

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all,

I have a Helios-44M..2/58.
Just like to get opinions as to ...Is it worth the trouble to buy a mount adaptor and try it out on my *ist-DL ?

Also I've read that I might not get infinity focus.?

If there's any other issues please let me know.

Chromo

05-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Hi all,

Just like to get opinions as to ...Is it worth the trouble to buy a mount adaptor and try it out on my *ist-DL ?

Chromo
The 44-2 is an amazing portrait lens! And of course it's worth using it if you're into portraiture.
I wouldn't concern myself with infinity focus since the bulk of it's uses are geared toward intimate(close proximity) work.

So grab a nice $2 stainless M42 adapter from eBay and enjoy it!

05-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh wow great thanks

I didn't think the old lens would be that good. I got it from a garage sale for $2.

I found an adaptor on ebay that has no flange, so it sits right into the camera mount and allows infinity focus...You beauty !!

Cheers....I'm off to ebay now.

Chromo.

P.S. That's a really nice photo
05-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
tux
Forum Member

make sure you remove the little latch thing from the adapter. They get stuck if you dont.

05-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tux Quote
make sure you remove the little latch thing from the adapter. They get stuck if you dont.
Do you mean the springy thing around the edge , on one side , looks like a piece of shim ?
Like in the 4th pic here : M42 LENS TO PENTAX K MOUNT ADAPTER NEW infinity 1 pcs. - eBay (item 220604650909 end time Jun-11-10 04:51:49 PDT)

I can only wonder why it's there if it gets stuck.

Would I be right in saying that it's not needed because the camera body has a locking button ?

Thanks for the info.

Chromo

Last edited by chromo; 05-19-2010 at 08:13 PM.
05-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You'd be far better off with an adapter of this type:

Pentax adapter: M42 to PK K - Focus to infinity - eBay (item 220607488271 end time May-24-10 12:25:51 PDT)

Though it does not focus to infinity. it does on the other hand allow the 44-2 to mount without wobble and/or the hassles of fiddling with removal tools and many of the other issues that follow the inconveniencces of the 3'rd party adapters(see slipping, cutting, scratching, camera etc etc).

Also since the 44-2 is most commonly used for proximity type shooting, the infinity focus is rarely(if ever) an issue.

And finally... the adapter(mentioned above) is quite possibly the most simple adapter to use(quick, painless and effortless use).

Hope this helps.
05-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This lens has a pretty wide base so I don't think it would wobble. Should mount right up to camera face and not just the adapter face.

Last edited by chromo; 11-21-2011 at 04:22 AM.
05-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi all,

Chromo
The short answer is YES, buy an adapter and use the lens. I have the 44M and use it with the genuine Pentax adapter on my K10D.

Here is a recent photo taken with the Helios 44M:

K10D, KMZ Helios 44M 58/2

and a full resolution crop from the original:

As far as adapters go, the base on the 44M is plenty wide to avoid wobble with a non-flanged adapter. If you decide on a non-flanged adapter, please consider the prevailing opinion on this forum and get the official Pentax version. The brand-x knock-offs tend to get stuck on the camera unless the retention spring is removed.

Steve

P.S. Your lens has the silver A/M switch on the side of the base. This means that you don't have to disable the auto-aperture pin. You also have 8 aperture blades. Happy, happy!

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-19-2010 at 09:09 PM.
05-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This lens has a pretty wide base so I don't think it would wobble. Should mount right up to camera face and not just the adapter face.
Ah... you have the later version of the 44-2
I completely overlooked this possibility when posting my initial response and... I honestly don't know how the later revisions perform in contrast to the classic versions.

Having said that, you are right on the money with the none issue's regarding the mounting flange, and there will be plenty of room to mount/use the infinity focus adapter without concern with the rattling or movement that occurs on the classic version.

Also... for the sake of reference(I should really learn to read), the image I posted was taken with a classic HELIOS 44-2(none M) version.
05-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Would I be right in saying that it's not needed because the camera body has a locking button ?
The bayonet lock has nothing to engage with on the non-flanged adapters. Some users have bought the non-Pentax versions, removed the retention clip, and notched/drilled the lens base to mate with the locking pin on the camera. This is not a bad solution if you don't mind messing with the lens.

Steve
05-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The short answer is YES, buy an adapter and use the lens. I have the 44M and use it with the genuine Pentax adapter on my K10D.

Here is a recent photo taken with the lens:

K10D, KMZ Helios 44M 58/2

and a full resolution crop from the original:

As far as adapters go, the base on the 44M is plenty wide to avoid wobble with a non-flanged adapter. If you decide on a non-flanged adapter, please consider the prevailing opinion on this forum and get the official Pentax version. The brand-x knock-offs tend to get stuck on the camera unless the retention spring is removed.

Steve

Ok that's made my mind up, I'll buy the non flanged and if it gives me trouble I'll just buy a flanged one. They're cheap enough anyway.

Thanks heaps for the help guys.

Steve, very nice photo. Such perfect botanical specimens, are they real ?

Chromo
05-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The bayonet lock has nothing to engage with on the non-flanged adapters. Some users have bought the non-Pentax versions, removed the retention clip, and notched/drilled the lens base to mate with the locking pin on the camera. This is not a bad solution if you don't mind messing with the lens.

Steve
More good advice ?
That's an easy solution, I will drill it.

Thank you
Chromo
05-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 for getting the real deal Pentax adaptor!
05-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
+1 for getting the real deal Pentax adaptor!
Thanks Seacapt and you're prob right , but at $90.00 I'll say no to Pentax.

Cheers,
Chromo
05-20-2010, 12:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I use a non flanged, non Pentax, adaptor from SRB who ship internationally.

I have no problems with their adaptors at all, and have used them with the spring in place.

And at $20 it's a big saving on the genuine article.

M42 lenses on Pentax K

I have no connection with SRB, even though I always mention them in these topics.