Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A tiny dust in a new lens?

I just got my new DA*55 from Adorama, and I found there is a tiny dust in it...Is that common? I think new lens shouldn't have any dust inside...

05-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would return it. Even though it will probably will not affect image quality, for that kind of money I would expect perfection. You also have to consider resale value if you ever sell it. If I remember correctly, Adorama will not charge return shipping and are very good about returns.
05-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxman Quote
I would return it. Even though it will probably will not affect image quality, for that kind of money I would expect perfection. You also have to consider resale value if you ever sell it. If I remember correctly, Adorama will not charge return shipping and are very good about returns.
Or I return it for a refund. I just bought a M50/1.4, I think I may not need a fast lens...the AF speed is really unsatisfied...
05-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How big is the dust? If the dust would eventually get inside, should anyone care? I have found most of my Pentax lenses weren't exactly in 100% new condition when they first came out of the boxes so I am not surprised if yours not dust free. My experience includes a big piece of dust embedded on flat black paint inside, cracks on inner flat black paint, scratches on outside flat black paint, permanent glass cleaning marks, glass scratches inside, finger prints, missing screw, deformed rear plastic and chipped chrome mount. I have also purchased brand new Sigma, Tamron, Nikon and Canon lenses over the years but they were always brand new out of box. Makes me wonder what's going on in Pentax factories.

05-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
How big is the dust? If the dust would eventually get inside, should anyone care? I have found most of my Pentax lenses weren't exactly in 100% new condition when they first came out of the boxes so I am not surprised if yours not dust free. My experience includes a big piece of dust embedded on flat black paint inside, cracks on inner flat black paint, scratches on outside flat black paint, permanent glass cleaning marks, glass scratches inside, finger prints, missing screw, deformed rear plastic and chipped chrome mount. I have also purchased brand new Sigma, Tamron, Nikon and Canon lenses over the years but they were always brand new out of box. Makes me wonder what's going on in Pentax factories.
You are kidding...right? I have purchased several new lens, including all DA limited series and FA limited series, however I have never met this situation before. However, I used to purchase on B&H...
05-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
I just got my new DA*55 from Adorama, and I found there is a tiny dust in it...Is that common? I think new lens shouldn't have any dust inside...
It's weather and dust sealed. If it has dust inside it came from the factory. I'd ask them to send me a replacement and send it back.
05-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You are kidding...right? I have purchased several new lens, including all DA limited series and FA limited series, however I have never met this situation before. However, I used to purchase on B&H...
I know it's hard to believe, but I am very seriously. My lenses have been purchased from HK, Melbourne, Vancouver and B&H over the years. For some unknown reason, defective Pentax just headed my way.

05-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

I recently bought new the da15ltd and after 2 weeks of use I found 2 large specs of dust easily visible against the shutter when looking through the front element. Unfortunately I didn't thoroughly inspect it before using it so I can't say when the dust moved in. Still it is annoying even though I know it doesn't affect image quality. It's the affect on the resale value thats the problem. Especially annoying when the last three 25 year old lenses I recently purchased are comparatively dust free. Perhaps I am just not careful enough. How did the previous owners of these old lenses do it. Never use them? Plastic bag with a hole?
05-20-2010, 12:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You might blow from the rear aperture lever (flip the blades open) and the dust might be blown aside. However, there is also a chance more dust might be blown inside. Worth trying if it annoys you too much. But why not let Pentax Japan fix it since you lives in Tokyo.
05-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
You might blow from the rear aperture lever (flip the blades open) and the dust might be blown aside. However, there is also a chance more dust might be blown inside. Worth trying if it annoys you too much. But why not let Pentax Japan fix it since you lives in Tokyo
Pentax would not remove the dust under the guarantee unless it was a weather sealed lens and the da15ltd isn't. I could open the blades and with a vacuum cleaner suck the dust out
05-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That is weird for a new DA* lens. Cgoudie's right--it's dust sealed, so you should be able to send it back and get a replacement.

But I'd check out the lens first otherwise. Focusing, sharpness, all the important stuff. If it's a "tiny dust," it won't affect your image. It won't affect anything except that somebody might be able to knock you down a few bucks on resale. So if you're buying a lens to sell it later, send it back, otherwise I'd check out how it functions, because you might get a cleaner copy back with a whole other issue that DOES affect the image.

keh lists a glass disclaimer:
* Glass Disclaimer - Occasionally, lenses, even when brand new, will have a slight amount of dust visible within the lens elements. This is a result of the manufacturing process and will not affect image quality or resolution. As a result, some used lenses may exhibit the same consistencies.
05-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

What looks like dust can also sometimes be a small bubble in the glass which is not really considered so much a manufacturing defect as just normal life with making stuff out of glass.
Not that my opinion is often welcome, but people who worry about really minor flaws in their products need to fine better things to do with themselves.
Like going out and taking pictures.
Your new lens is going to have a lot more dust on or in it in a few months unless you keep it in a sealed container in a clean room all the time.
Or else you are going to wreck it by cleaning it (the most common damage I've seen on lenses is from anal retentive types who insist that any speck of dust must be eliminated putting cleaning marks onto their expensive glass).
05-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What looks like dust can also sometimes be a small bubble in the glass which is not really considered so much a manufacturing defect as just normal life with making stuff out of glass.
Over the years I have heard people saying bubbles in Leica & Nikkors, especially on ED elements, though never seen one myself. But that was more than a decade ago. I wonder if modern lenses still have bubbles.
05-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure you will get another dust once you change lenses in the open air unless you put it on the camera and never remove it until the day you take it off.
We live with dust around us and we won't be able to get away with it.
I found it interesting recently that dust still can be found even inside a closed room because mostly they will be coming from our DEAD SKIN.

But if it bothers you, just go return / exchange it. I know how it feel because I did the same thing when I first got my FA43 Ltd. I inspect it more than a jeweler will check a diamond.

That's my first day with an expensive lens so it's understandable. Now I'm used to see dust in lenses so I'm usually just ignore it if it's not affecting the IQ or too big to be noticeable.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Just to share my experience, I had a lens with a very tiny bubble that I found out later on. I sent it out to Pentax and they replace the lens (still under warranty). They considered it as a manufacturing defect and they're responsible for it.
05-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxman Quote
+1...

very thoughtful of you to inspect your new glass. +2